FM3 Marshall Silver Jubilee vs Brit Silver

Anyone who listens to these clips and truly believes that either sounds "better" has already made up their mind. Just for kicks, I listened to both videos with my Focal Alphas, AKG K271 headphones and 64 Audio A3's. I found different sections of the solo to quickly jump back and forth between the two and did so several times and at different points of the solo.

There is a difference but there wasn't anything that was more or less organic/digital, nothing that couldn't be attributed to anything more than component tolerance or control settings. Swap out a preamp tube or two in the physical amp and the difference would likely be much more noticeable.

Feel is a valid point but again, if someone claims that one feels better than the other while playing, they've already made up their mind. Given the many options for monitoring any of the Fractal devices, 'feel' is entirely up to the user. Response of the guitar while playing is another thing and in my experience, the Axe III/FM3 (don't have the FM9) provide the same response as any amp I've played.

One thing I do like about these threads is it helps me know who to place any value on their opinions and whose to take with a grain of salt.

Anyone who listens to these clips and truly believes that either sounds "better" has already made up their mind. Just for kicks, I listened to both videos with my Focal Alphas, AKG K271 headphones and 64 Audio A3's. I found different sections of the solo to quickly jump back and forth between the two and did so several times and at different points of the solo.

There is a difference but there wasn't anything that was more or less organic/digital, nothing that couldn't be attributed to anything more than component tolerance or control settings. Swap out a preamp tube or two in the physical amp and the difference would likely be much more noticeable.

Feel is a valid point but again, if someone claims that one feels better than the other while playing, they've already made up their mind. Given the many options for monitoring any of the Fractal devices, 'feel' is entirely up to the user. Response of the guitar while playing is another thing and in my experience, the Axe III/FM3 (don't have the FM9) provide the same response as any amp I've played.

One thing I do like about these threads is it helps me know who to place any value on their opinions and whose to take with a grain of salt.
Totally right ….. both are great sounding ….. not a matter of better …. FAS has really done a great great job !! For the rest it is up to the user / listener What you prefer…. I already mentioned that If I had to listen and choose without recording it , I could have easily chosen “wrong”… And please as always : my videos are not about proving if one is better than the other…. But only proving that BOTH are great tools….use it for whatever gig / goal you have :)

Maybe sending the guitar signal through that digital tube screamer drains out its analog juices, making it much harder to tell what digital is doing downstream from there.

/hahamaybe
Than take a listen to the second video posted in the other post below…..😉….. total dry riffs

Than take a listen to the second video posted in the other post below…..😉….. total dry riffs
What exactly did you mean by "dry"? I figured you meant no delay or verb, not that you took out the (digital) drive pedal before the amp.

And I was (mostly ;)) kidding about the analog juices...

Anyway, no offense, but tbh I didn't actually listen to any of the clips, because I don't care much which sounds better in that particular situation. I got rid of the only Marshall I ever had in about a week, because it was way too loud, and that's when I was gigging a lot, with real amps, so for me it's modeling for sure, whatever the clips.

I have a patch with the "pre" of my tube amp going into an IR and out to FRFR. Similar amp models can sound as good and much better in many cases, but I do percieve a "feel" difference that I wish I could understand better. There's a subtle feel of "fluidity" I am somehow compelled to chase.

Last edited:
What exactly did you mean by "dry"? I figured you meant no delay or verb, not that you took out the (digital) drive pedal before the amp.

And I was (mostly ;)) kidding about the analog juices...

Anyway, no offense, but tbh I didn't actually listen to any of the clips, because I don't care much which sounds better in that particular situation. I got rid of the only Marshall I ever had in about a week, because it was way too loud, and that's when I was gigging a lot, with real amps, so for me it's modeling for sure, whatever the clips.
Dry : no FX and no drive….. pure amp sound from both devices…..

I have never mentioned anything about “which is better “…… rather more about : Look how good these Tools sound :)

I also can’t And don’t want to play with real speakers on stage. I prefer the sound of my IEM stereo and stuff so with a real amp I just use the Suhr load box and FM3 for the rest….. great combi !

Depending of the gig I will be using only FM3 or The Marshall head with load box and FM3….;)

Last edited:
Hard to tell what's 'better', but to my ears it was clear that B was the digital (on the isolated tracks).

However I would hardly notice that on a random sample, outside a A/B comparison.

The FM3 sounds great!

Last edited:
It is totally fine !! I would have also been “fooled” if hearing the lead tracks in a mix…… isolated I can easily hear the difference which does not matter because they both sound damn good :)
Thanks and it’s all good. You did a good job trying to keep it apples to apples. While I’m probably not so unusual I went from trying an early POD way back and not being able to deal with it at all and becoming a Tube amp only person for 20 years (well I was always a tube amp person 45 years) and then finally giving the FM3 a try after seeing Dweezil Zappa play a few times and was and am completely floored by how great and far the technology had come. I still sometimes can’t believe it does what it can do.

it does sort of make me nostalgically sad for the good old tube amp technology. I worry as less tubes are being bought the already stressed tube manufacturing system will become non existent. Probably should stock up on some tubes so my amps can remain playable.

Both sounds are good and have characteristics of their own. Although the sounds of the B rig are slightly louder because of the spectral response of the tone, and psychoacoustically speaking when we hear something louder , its seems to be better.

The tube amp (A) is smoother and the FM3 (B) more present. But all of this can be tweaked on either platform. What it all comes down to is personal taste and the willingness to make a choice. I love the sound of a real amp and speakers on a stage or in a room, but I love the practicallity of Fractal audio products to be so close as to almost be indistinguishable from a real set up when recorded and mixed.

The line between the real deal and modelers is becoming so blurry that whatever you decide to use will work. There will come a time when it wont matter and modelers will have an infinite variety of perfect sounds and it wont be necessary to lug around an Amp, Cabinets and effects

They both sounded good ,funny thing is B I thought had a-little more hair around it . A was cleaner sounding . 👍🏻😎
Thanks man and yes , both good / great and B did have a bit more hair….. did not want to spend too much time tweaking….. Good is Good 😀💪🏼

Both sounds are good and have characteristics of their own. Although the sounds of the B rig are slightly louder because of the spectral response of the tone, and psychoacoustically speaking when we hear something louder , its seems to be better.

The tube amp (A) is smoother and the FM3 (B) more present. But all of this can be tweaked on either platform. What it all comes down to is personal taste and the willingness to make a choice. I love the sound of a real amp and speakers on a stage or in a room, but I love the practicallity of Fractal audio products to be so close as to almost be indistinguishable from a real set up when recorded and mixed.

The line between the real deal and modelers is becoming so blurry that whatever you decide to use will work. There will come a time when it wont matter and modelers will have an infinite variety of perfect sounds and it wont be necessary to lug around an Amp, Cabinets and effects
Totally agree man….. digital world has solved many things gearwise too And my back does not mind that either 😅

Back
Top Bottom