ProgressiveRocco

Power User
What's up dudes!
I've decided to create some mix-ready patches using JUST factory cabs and sell them for a very reasonable price!
This is my take on the quintessential Marshall “Plexi on 10” sound. The core of the patch is a ToneMatch I’ve made of a great sounding Suhr SL68, John Suhr’s take on the perfect Plexi amp circuit. Check it out!

If you're interested in buying the "Marshall Plexi" patch used in this video hit me up at roccopezzin@gmail.com
Cost is just 5€

IMPORTANT: These patches are made using the AxeFx2 XL+ running firmware Quantum 9.01. However you can use them with the AxeFx2 mk I / II, XL by converting them with the FracTool software
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractool-the-ultimate-fractal-device-multitool.112538/
(keep in mind the AX8 doesn't have a ToneMatch block - I don't recommend buying this if you're planning to use it with the AX8 esclusively)

Oh boy.....there goes the neighborhood!!!:eek::cool:;)

Sounds killer...as always...Why Q9.01?

Yeah ..., I think that tone is AWESOME !

But I'm running 9.03 and I'd want to be sure that the patch was tweaked for that sound in the most current version. Because I used to use Pete Thorn's SL-68 patch that he gave up a couple of years ago. But it's so many firmware versions ago that w/ the Tone Match block it just doesn't sound the same any longer ....

And that said ..., I always seem to have terrible results using patches w/ Tone Match blocks in them .... Are you substituting the Tone Match instead of using a Cab block ? Or are you using both ?

Have you given any thought to converting the Tone Match to a Cab block ? And I'm curious what that would do to CPU demand ?

EDIT: BTW - that tone sounds 100% like every demo I've ever seen Pete Thorn himself do !

Last edited:
I just bought the preset, but I haven’t had time to load it yet. Rocco I would be curious if it needs any tweaks as I’m running 9.03.

Yeah ..., I think that tone is AWESOME !

But I'm running 9.03 and I'd want to be sure that the patch was tweaked for that sound in the most current version. Because I used to use Pete Thorn's SL-68 patch that he gave up a couple of years ago. But it's so many firmware versions ago that w/ the Tone Match block it just doesn't sound the same any longer ....

And that said ..., I always seem to have terrible results using patches w/ Tone Match blocks in them .... Are you substituting the Tone Match instead of using a Cab block ? Or are you using both ?

Have you given any thought to converting the Tone Match to a Cab block ? And I'm curious what that would do to CPU demand ?

EDIT: BTW - that tone sounds 100% like every demo I've ever seen Pete Thorn himself do !
I just bought the preset, but I haven’t had time to load it yet. Rocco I would be curious if it needs any tweaks as I’m running 9.03.

just upgraded to fwQ9.03, the patch sounds absolutely the same ;) you might have problems with patches made on very old firmwares but imo the improvements have become really really subtle lately, that's why I didn't feel the need to upgrade (Q9.01 to Q9.03 is such a small jump). Did it for you guys anyway ;)

just upgraded to fwQ9.03, the patch sounds absolutely the same ;) you might have problems with patches made on very old firmwares but imo the improvements have become really really subtle lately, that's why I didn't feel the need to upgrade (Q9.01 to Q9.03 is such a small jump). Did it for you guys anyway ;)

You have an AWESOME set of ears for tone !

Really, REALLY good to know three's no difference between 9.01 & 9.03 ! Especially since Cliff's announced he's working on 9.0? maybe .... How did you handle the Tone Match block ? Are you using that in place of a Cab, or are you using both ?

I'm curious because I'm interested in both the patches you've released .... This one and the 80's clean too. I'm wondering if I would be able to combine them in an X/Y fashion ?

He is using a stereo cab block with factory cabs with the tone match block.

Really, REALLY good to know three's no difference between 9.01 & 9.03 ! Especially since Cliff's announced he's working on 9.0? maybe .... How did you handle the Tone Match block ? Are you using that in place of a Cab, or are you using both ?

I'm curious because I'm interested in both the patches you've released .... This one and the 80's clean too. I'm wondering if I would be able to combine them in an X/Y fashion ?

I can’t remember to be honest, but I believe it was pretty low. Maybe 50-60%. I haven’t messed with it much yet because I don’t have an XL so he had to find a cab for me to sub one that’s only factory on the XL.

thanks man! here's what it looks like
Schermata 2018-01-07 alle 15.53.29.png

I'm not a fan of using the Tone Match block instead of the cab, I've found it works best used as a final touch on an already good sounding amp + cab setup ;)
edit: you could save some CPU by switching the Reverb quality to normal

Unfortunately, I’ve done some math and I don’t think it’s going to work for me ….

Don’t get me wrong …. This is a truly AWESOME tone ! It’s got pretty much everything I’d want or need. Plenty of Gain …, Cut & Warmth at the same time ( although that said, some of it might be the guitar ? ) …. Otherwise, it’s absolutely everything Rocco says it is with regards to it’s versatility … !!!

But …, for it to work in the context of my patches, someone would have to meld the Tone Match into the Cab Block ( I don’t know how to do that ! ) ….

The Template I use for effects ( & such ) is running at approx. 60% ( see photo ) …. That’s with the Reverb already set to Normal Resolution …. That would leave approx. 30% for the Drive, Amp, Cab, Tone Match & EQ ….

Roger's Effects Template.jpg

I took a blank patch loaded it with a Drive, Amp, Cab, Tone Match & PEQ block and it came up to approx. 46% …. Without the Tone Match it’s still at approx. 39% ….

Probably 8% or 9% above what it would take to make it work ….

BUMMER ! This really does sound like 99.9% of the clips I’ve heard of an SL-68 !!!! I can’t say for sure, but I’m guessing that Pete Thorn himself would be proud of that tone ! ….

Picked this up today, VERY nice preset!
Sounds just like it does in the video, I was having fun with it on some more modern metal riffs as well.
It is just a great sounding all around preset.
I am running it on a XL+ running latest firmware.
:guitar::cool:

Picked this up today, VERY nice preset!
Sounds just like it does in the video, I was having fun with it on some more modern metal riffs as well.
It is just a great sounding all around preset.
I am running it on a XL+ running latest firmware.
:guitar::cool:
thanks man! glad you like it :)

I grabbed this preset and the LA clean. They are incredible patches! Definitely worth the purchase!! Especially seeing jam time is limited from work patches like these are lifesavers. Saves me time and from going down the preset wormhole I sometimes get sucked into

I wanted to give an update to my posts above ....

I broke down and bought the preset from Rocco ..., the tone was just too good not too !

Anyway, I'm still in the process of trying to figure out how to pair down my template, but DAMN ..., the preset it everything you hear in Rocco's YouTube vid ! My Bridge humbucker has just a tad less output and it's slanted so the tone isn't exact, but it's close enough that I'm very happy ! And just for kicks I stuck J Santiago's EchoPlex Tone Match ( Cab ) block in front and WOW ....

Anyway ..., if you're on the fence, don't be any longer ! If you like the tone Rocco has come up with ..., buy the preset and I don't think you'll be disappointed !

Back
Top Bottom