Marshall Plexi Crunch

I've already grabbed this block and used it at rehearsal. It sounds so good. I'm going back and forth between this and a Dirty Shirley block I either tweaked or borrowed and I can't settle. I may have to use both.

Either way, excellent hair without too much fizz and guts without to much wool. Nice.

There's a certain quality to the distortion that is very elusive.. Not sure if we are talking about the same thing but the way I would describe it is like a tinkle of breaking glass. It's very cool and your preset captured this nicely.

I'm still feeling that the bottom end is a bit "woofy" at times,... I want the beef and depth, but don't like the woofiness... I also feel that the high end is a bit shrill at times...but it's a fine line because if you start to back off the highs and high mids, you start to lose "That" vibe...

Now I just recently started using an EQ Block between the Amp and Cab,.. this has really helped me in some presets I was building last night for some new songs... So I may revisit this patch with that EQ block inserted and see if I can get it really dialed in.. :cool:

I need to school up on the some of the Speaker drives and stuff... don't know much about that and how it effects the overall sound/tone.. ?

Now I just recently started using an EQ Block between the Amp and Cab,.. this has really helped me in some presets I was building last night for some new songs... So I may revisit this patch with that EQ block inserted and see if I can get it really dialed in.. :cool:

I need to school up on the some of the Speaker drives and stuff... don't know much about that and how it effects the overall sound/tone.. ?
Don't you use the EQ in the amp block itself? I thought I saw that on your preset. Seems to me that would be enough since it's technically after the power amp (I think). Oh, and the Hi and Lo cuts in the cab block have really satisfying results.

I'm with you on all the parameters. The speaker drive is hilarious. It completely ages your cab at low settings and tears virtual speakers the higher you go. It's kinda nice because it's almost like an organic fuzz pedal that kinda compresses at the end of the chain.

What @jmillion said. The way you've got it set up, the Amp block's EQ page is between your amp and cab. Tweak away...and save CPU. :)

haha!... Well I know a thing or two about dialing in old marshalls,... and I've "been there done that" ....sometimes with good results,..sometimes not so much,... somebody posted a live 3 piece song with a 59 cranked up like that and it sounded pretty darn good on the recording,.. I tried it and it was horrible... :(

EQ Block - Yes I use the on inside of the Amp Block,.. but I think there were some threads around here that delt with using an actual cab block between the Amp and Cab blocks with better results.. (?) - I've been using both now..

...using an actual cab block between the Amp and Cab blocks...
I'm guessing you mean "an actual EQ block." :)

If your "actual EQ block" is a graphic EQ, then the way you've got the Amp's EQ page set up—after the power amp—will achieve the same thing. If you're looking at a parametric EQ, the Amp's EQ won't do that, so you'll have to use a separate block.

Going back to the cranked Marshall Plexi thing... I spent the better part of 3 years chasing Eddie's tone for some reason or another :) ... in the end it was a Custom Build that started with a 77 Super Lead 100 (Transformers are the key here..) ... basically gutted it and built a PTP hand wired Plexi with "mods" - "Mod 5" is what it was called...

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13213079

Come to think of it, I did work up a patch a couple years back on my buddies Axe FX II .. I didn't get to spend a ton of time on that one, but I think it got pretty close:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13286470

I probably need to dig that old patch out and see how it translates to the AX8.. then tweak it from there... :)

Geez!,.. I just hi-jacked my own thread.. :eek:

Going back to the cranked Marshall Plexi thing... I spent the better part of 3 years chasing Eddie's tone for some reason or another :) ... in the end it was a Custom Build that started with a 77 Super Lead 100 (Transformers are the key here..) ... basically gutted it and built a PTP hand wired Plexi with "mods" - "Mod 5" is what it was called...

Come to think of it, I did work up a patch a couple years back on my buddies Axe FX II .. I didn't get to spend a ton of time on that one, but I think it got pretty close:

I probably need to dig that old patch out and see how it translates to the AX8.. then tweak it from there... :)

I forgot about SoundClick. Both of those tones are amazing.

That MOD 5 tone is it for sure !! - Wow!

The Mod5 clip does kick ass. I remember reading about this a couple years back. I bought all the stuff for a custom amp build.. Then I bought a fractal and all the parts are still sitting in a box in the garage. Along with a bunch of NOS tubes and other obsolete crap I spent too much money on. It's hard to motivate to do a build when I can get such good tone so easily.

Your patch is a bit woofy through my setup also. I'd be interested to see what you cut and where.

Back
Top Bottom