Marshall on 10 tone

Chiguete

Experienced
So I'm playing around with the new 2204 model and I wasn't quite getting the tone I wanted. I was after a classic Marshall tone with some balls to the tone and not weak sounding. After playing with the knobs if said to myself why not just put everything on 10 and see how it sounds like... WOW was I in for a treat! I ended up for rhythm with the Input Gain at 5, eveything else on 10 + I put a Tube Screamer in front with the gain a 0 and the level at 8 and now I'm happy :) ohhh and for leads both the gains on the Tube Screamer and the amp at 10 and I have ALL the singing sustain I want!

Now the reason why I'm writing this is to know if really famous guitar tones where played with the knobs at 10 or is it just a myth?

Eddie claims his was all on 10 but he also had a variac that lowered the voltage the amp saw.

Both my Marshall’s sound like crap dimed on 10. But the tubescreamer is definitely the secret weapon for me. Gain low and level around 9. It pushes the preamp and makes it sing!

Lol. What I've noticed is that setting the amp like this maybe one has to play more with the mic position in order to tame and eq the tone since you are not doing that in the tonestack of the amp... at least that how I managed to work it out on the Fractal preset I did. I will try to post a video or sound clip of the tone I'm getting.

It may go to eleven, but I think it sound really good with gain as low as 4.5. Got a nice raw crunchy tone with my les paul. Had a great time playing with no other effects than just a little bit of reverb.

It may go to eleven, but I think it sound really good with gain as low as 4.5. Got a nice raw crunchy tone with my les paul. Had a great time playing with no other effects than just a little bit of reverb.
Yep I use set it up with the Input gain at 5 and the Master at 10 and it's a great crunchy fat tone, the only fine tuning extra thing I did was to just lowered the Input Trim at 0.9.

I discovered the very same thing last night - but with Bass on 0. First time I've ever had that classic George Lynch pick attack.

I must say I came full circle with this settings because I experimented for a long time and now I'm back to gain 5>10, all eq at 10, and master at 10... added a Shimmer Drive in front with gain and level at 5 and what I did do was to play with the Low Cut and Treble control depending on the guitar and it's a KICK ASS HARD ROCKING TONE!!!

Today I was going thru an guitar cab using a Crate Powerbloc as a flat poweramp, tomorow I will try to match the tone thru monitors to choose the right IR.

Back
Top Bottom