Marshall Note Decay Sizzle

If its crossover distortion you can bias the virtual output section way hotter so that both tubes are always conducting- I think 1.00 is full on. One of the cool things about the Fractal world is that you're not stuck with behaviors that are unavoidable in the real world. If you like those behaviors- great. If not- the box is full of tools to help.

I would think killing high end would not be the appropriate response to trailing decay sizzle.

Hadn’t thought of the power amp bias. So you can go from a class AB to class A? Sometimes I forget this thing is just a simulation.

Cutting higher frequencies is one of the methods for reducing unwanted distortion in a tube amp. It’s interesting to look at schematics of the originals and compare to later amps. The high end cuts came in with the higher gain levels. It’s all about tailoring the eq throughout the amp, controlling the way the tube will distort.

Hadn’t thought of the power amp bias. So you can go from a class AB to class A? Sometimes I forget this thing is just a simulation.

Cutting higher frequencies is one of the methods for reducing unwanted distortion in a tube amp. It’s interesting to look at schematics of the originals and compare to later amps. The high end cuts came in with the higher gain levels. It’s all about tailoring the eq throughout the amp, controlling the way the tube will distort.

You can probably go from class B (no overlap at all) to class A (100% overlap) as I recall.

In terms of high frequency cut- You can cut harshness that way but I don't think you'll be able to do much with a decay sizzle with high frequency cut unless you cut way way down into the meat of the tone. I could be wrong.

You can probably go from class B (no overlap at all) to class A (100% overlap) as I recall.

In terms of high frequency cut- You can cut harshness that way but I don't think you'll be able to do much with a decay sizzle with high frequency cut unless you cut way way down into the meat of the tone. I could be wrong.

Well, both highs and lows are shaped, not just the highs. The SLO was the 1st amp I saw the plate resistor bypass caps. Then the Boogies, but the original Rectifier was almost an exact copy of the SLO. I mean, if you had a Soldano SLO 100 schematic you could use it to work on your Dual Rec, aside from switching etc. I tried the plate bypass caps for myself and yes they cut highs but it tamed the crackling down. Generally the high gain amps cut lows and boost highs throughout the preamp, but also cut highs in some places. Another thing that is more or less standard now in higher gain amps is to run the 1st stage on DC heaters. I've always thought that some of the decay crackling could be related to 60 cycle artifacts. I have no proof of that btw. I'm not super schooled on this stuff but I understand it enough to do a piss poor job of explaining it.

A couple of things could be involved:

Crossover distortion. The tubes in the power amp share the load. One pair of tubes handles half of the cycle; the other pair handles the other half. The sharing isn't perfect. There's some distortion at the crossover point. As the signal decays, that crossover distortion becomes a larger portion of the signal.

More likely, you're hearing interference from the guitar itself. The signal decays, and the interference becomes audible. The signal dies when the nose gate kicks in. Try disabling the input noise gate. I bet you'll hear nothing but interference when the signal finally dies by itself.
I’m pretty sure this is the sam thing I am having a problem with.
It’s fricking annoying

Back
Top Bottom