Marshall mg100hdfx

sidsin

Inspired
Has anybody used the FX return of this as a power amp?

I’ve used it at rehearsals with the FM3, and it sounds TERRIBLE!

Last edited:
I am assuming that you went FM3 -> poweramp -> guitarcab.

If you have made your presets using studio monitors/FRFR setup, then playing through a poweramp/cab will most likely require a tuning of those presets.

While I am personally not familiar with the Marshall head you mention, it seems to be one of the more "budget friendly" options Marshall has to offer, which might translate into quality of components and overall sound. If the cab you used is equally 'budget friendly, that might affect the overall tone too.

Having said that, I am sure that with tweaking you should be able to get a decent (at least not "sounding terrible") or better sound out of any setup with the FM3 (or any fractal unit for that matter). Just don't expect that a specific preset will sound equally well with any setup.

It definitely is one of the budget friendly options. However, when I used the power stage170 earlier this week along with other expensive speakers, it sounded brilliant!

I am pretty sure it’s the solid state amp which is causing the change in tonality.

However, my other guitarist, who has a line6 tube amp - sounds great through the same speaker.

Best to start from scratch (on your preset I mean) and dial it in with this setup.

Try to use your ears, not your eyes (no "pre concieved notions" about how to dial in a specific amp)

Define “terrible.”
the speaker cabinet that I use is Marshall MG 412A.

By terrible, I meant too shrill and trebly.

When I tried the same preset though the powerstage and a EVH cab - it sounded amazing! Warm and heavy.

I think it could be the solid state amp - I am going to try the powerstage at rehearsal later this week with the Marshal MG 412A. I'll post here how that sounds.

So, did you turn down the highs in your preset?

I understand what you are saying, but be sure to know how to tune your sound...be it in the amp, with an EQ block, or output EQ. Very useful if you don't always know what you are going to play through.

the speaker cabinet that I use is Marshall MG 412A.

When I tried the same preset though the powerstage and a EVH cab - it sounded amazing! Warm and heavy.

I think it could be the solid state amp - I am going to try the powerstage at rehearsal later this week with the Marshal MG 412A. I'll post here how that sounds.
You changed the power amp and the speaker, and that turned a good preset into a shrill, trebly one. So we know that either the power amp or the speaker is the culprit. Maybe both.

We also know that your friend has a Line 6 tube amp and the same speaker. Help me out here. Is he playing through the tube amp into that cab, or into the MG power amp into that cab, or...?

You changed the power amp and the speaker, and that turned a good preset into a shrill, trebly one. So we know that either the power amp or the speaker is the culprit. Maybe both.

We also know that your friend has a Line 6 tube amp and the same speaker. Help me out here. Is he playing through the tube amp into that cab, or into the MG power amp into that cab, or...?
A95E46E3-E8E8-4DDA-87DE-65F42963F568.jpeg
The other guy has one if these and connects directly into the speaker cabinet and it sounds really good.

My preset sounds a lot better at lower volumes, while recording, or if I play it through my headrush (after cutting the lows).

But I agree with you, is probably the Marshall tube that I am going through. Both the speaker cabinets sound good with the line6 tube, so my bet is me connecting with the powerstage should resolve the issue.

I am just wondering if anyone faced similar issues with the cabinet - considering it’s a “budget option”.

So, did you turn down the highs in your preset?

I understand what you are saying, but be sure to know how to tune your sound...be it in the amp, with an EQ block, or output EQ. Very useful if you don't always know what you are going to play through.
I have recently started using the PEQ block after the amp and cab block which helps me cut the highs and the lows. That at least helps me block the frequency which is standing out.

Any other tips on how to do it? ( apart from the amp bock or output block?)

Any other tips on how to do it? ( apart from the amp bock or output block?)
TBH, any fixes should start with the Amp block. Too much treble? Turn down the Treble knob. Too much presence? Ditto.

It's like saying "Any tips for how to slow down my car that don't involve taking my foot off the accelerator?" :)

TBH, any fixes should start with the Amp block. Too much treble? Turn down the Treble knob. Too much presence? Ditto.

It's like saying "Any tips for how to slow down my car that don't involve taking my foot off the accelerator?" :)
I have always felt the EQ knobs have more of an impact on the tone than the regular amp knobs - but that’s just me. What I mean is, I don’t end up compromising the whole tone like I would with the treble/presence knobs.

I have always felt the EQ knobs have more of an impact on the tone than the regular amp knobs - but that’s just me. What I mean is, I don’t end up compromising the whole tone like I would with the treble/presence knobs.
How is that a compromise?

How is that a compromise?
To put it another way, how is that more of a compromise than using an EQ block?

It's true that a post-gain EQ can have a more radical effect on EQ than pre-gain EQ, but is radical EQ not also a compromise? My approach is to get as close as I can with the amp, and then make other adjustments as needed.

Also, there is a graphic EQ built into the Amp block.

To put it another way, how is that more of a compromise than using an EQ block?

It's true that a post-gain EQ can have a more radical effect on EQ than pre-gain EQ, but is radical EQ not also a compromise? My approach is to get as close as I can with the amp, and then make other adjustments as needed.

Also, there is a graphic EQ built into the Amp block.
Yeah, that’s what I mostly use as well. The EQ in the amp block.

I use the PEQ mostly to counter the feedback that I get (beach’s with am using high gain presets). But I feel a gaye right after the input block does the trick for me as well.

Back
Top Bottom