Wish Marshall Major

I had a 1973 Marshall Major back in the early ‘80’s. Insanely loud, and huge clean headroom for days. I ‘molested’ it and had a master put in... would’ve never done that now. I remember blowing a 4x12 cabinet with it, playing of all things... Highway Star. It was so powerful.
It would be cool to have this modeled, as Marshall only made about 1,700 of them.

Never played a Major but I wager that 90% of what it does is just about sheer volume. If you got it in Fractal and was able to turn it down to any level you need it most likely won't sound as impressive as you might think.

Never played a Major but I wager that 90% of what it does is just about sheer volume. If you got it in Fractal and was able to turn it down to any level you need it most likely won't sound as impressive as you might think.
DAW recording level would be good enough

That argument applies to pretty much any Marshall, and most amps in general. Louder sounds better. I’m running my 100W Major clone into a Suhr load and into Input 4 and the tone is there, and it is very unique. It doesn’t sound like a regular Marshall, so you’d lose that bet.

That argument applies to pretty much any Marshall, and most amps in general. Louder sounds better. I’m running my 100W Major clone into a Suhr load and into Input 4 and the tone is there, and it is very unique. It doesn’t sound like a regular Marshall, so you’d lose that bet.
Can you capture the tone and post it here? Even looking at the resulting IR as compared to an existing Marshall in the Axe would be enlightening...

Can you capture the tone and post it here? Even looking at the resulting IR as compared to an existing Marshall in the Axe would be enlightening...
I’m fine tuning my Blackmore tone. I have mgalbu’s HS1 treble booster and I just have a little ways to go to match his tone. Check it out on YT if you haven’t seen him before. Once I’m satisfied, then I’ll capture it. I don’t want to put it here without it being stellar because the dogs will come out of the wood work telling us we don’t need a Major.

Edit: I forgot, it’s the clip above. I have the pedal and mAx has been kind enough to tell me the mods because I helped him with some problems he had with his original 200 watter.

Last edited:

Precisely, the advantage of having a modeler like the Axe-FX is that you do not have to play at insane volume to get the desired tone. We are not looking for the "impressive" player experience of getting tinnitus and hearing loss in front of a wall of Marshalls, but a tone that is good for driving direct to PA or DAW without that pain. And what the audience perceives is the same as with the traditional miked stack

(feels like a recurrent déjà vu explaining this:D)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom