Marshall JVM410HJS Midi problem

Marshall got back to me (great customer service) and suspect that the amp has a corrupt processor. Time for a trip to Milton Keynes!

I'll let you all know the results - this has been an odd one!
Very weird to actually be hoping that my amp is broken!

Ok, I posted this to Rock666 but maybe this will help here also :

- check your midi connenction (from out on the FX8 to in on the JVM)
- are they on the same midi channel (default channel 1) ?
You can reset the JVM to listen to channel 1 by doing the following : Switch the amplifier off (Power switch, not Standby).
Press and hold the FOOTSWITCH / MIDI PROGRAM switch.
Switch the amplifier on (Power switch). Release the FOOTSWITCH / MIDI PROGRAM switch, the LED will start to flash.
Send ANY MIDI command using your FX8.
The amplifier will detect which channel came in and configure itself to listen to that MIDI channel only.
- check on the midi page of the i/o setup menu : midi channel 1, Prog change On (I'm not sure this is necessary, but that's how I did it...)
- in stompbox mode go to the cfg page and scroll down to Midi PC and select the desired MIDI PC number (also check your midi channel again on that same page...)

Put your JVM in Midi Program mode and then turn the Value knob to change the PC (say from 0 to 1 as an example) you will transmit that last PC nr to the JVM (midi led flashes rapidly for a few seconds)
- Save your preset !

And it works ...!!!
Thanks...

The saga continues - Marshall report that there is nothing wrong with the HJS, and suggested a midi incompatibility, which given that midi is a standard really shouldn't happen. I have a support ticket open with Fractal.

Update, and a temporary fix. The FX8 sends out a Sysex message along with the PC. Seems that is causing the problem with the JVM410HJS. Fractal are looking into addressing the problem in future updates, but for now I've got round it by using a midi solutions event processes to filter out the Sysex. http://www.midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm
Chanel switching is now reliable.

Last edited:
Hi folks
I know this is an ancient thread, but thought I’d share the ease with which I set up my fx8 with the jvm410hjs- literally went into fx8, amended each scene as appropriate to the cc code and value, one midi cable between midi out on the fx8 and midi in on the amp and boom, sorted! My first attempt st setting up midi switching for scenes and absolutely delighted ! Less tap dancing at gigs awaits :)

The initial problem was sorted out when Fractal released updated software, I forget which version it was that corrected it, by if you are up to date the HJS FX8 combination works exactly as it should.

I would like to use the fx8 with a Marshall 6100 amp. it's a 3 channel amp with midi. I would like to assign amp channels
on the 6100 to scenes in presets on the fx8. It should be similar to the way you set it up with your midi amp?
I looked in the 6100 manual, but do not recall seeing any cc codes for the amp channels, but will check again.
I think you would use the store buttons on your 6100 to store the settings.

I had a KSR Artemis II that allowed me to just set up an amp channel with extras then I would click the store button and it stored the information on the Artemis and sent it to the FX8 specific preset (no CC codes involved) then I would change the preset on the FX8 and set a new amp channel up and repeat the process.

It might work similarly with your 6100.

Good luck!!

thanks for that information.
that is what I was doing with the amp and a different fx processor.

with the other fx unit, presets and amp channels were saved as,
preset 1 - amp ch. 1
2 - amp ch. 1
3 - amp ch. 2
4 - amp ch. 3

I hooked the fx8 midi out to the amp's midi plug,
and tried the first 4 presets on the fx8, but the amp did not change to the amp channels
that it was programmed to...
I wasn't sure if the fx8 was sending any type midi program change info. or I
have to set this up in the fx8 settings?
Manual online here:

https://medias.audiofanzine.com/files/marshall-6100-30th-anniversary-user-manuel-479802.pdf

Says the following:

The MIDI section of your Anniversary amplifier is really very simple to use. It allows you to control your amp’s channel switching (1,2 or 3) via MIDI program change messages. The Anniversary amp has an internal memory and can store Channel 1,2 or 3 selection in 128 MIDI addressable patches. These correspond to the 0 - 127 MIDI PROGRAM CHANGE message.
Note: The Anniversary amp is preset to receive MIDI messages on MIDI CHANNEL 1 only.
On pressing the store button, the amplifier channel selection will be stored in the PATCH number that was LAST received. If no patch message has been received then no store will be
made. Try this example;
A. Send MIDI PROGRAM CHANGE to Anniversary amp (for example 24) B. Select ampchannel (for example 2) C. Press store until all three channel LED’S flash momentarily. Now, whenever the Anniversary amp receives MIDI PROGRAM number 24, it will automatically select Channel 2. The memory will be retained when the amp is switched off.
Note: The internal memory of your Anniversary unit can be reset (all patches Channel 1) by holding down the channel 1 button and the store button during switch on. Be sure you really want to reset the memory first!
E EFFECTS BASS
PUT CONTROL
Note: Ensure that compatible MIDI cables are used.

So... You need to send PCs on midi channel 1 for it to work.

Always check the manual ;)

Back
Top Bottom