Marshall JVM as a power amp for Axe?

aziz

Power User
I tried JVM 410 as a poweramp for Axe. I disabled the cab and power amp modeling, Axe out1 into the JVM power amp in (fx return), selected the JVM models from the Axe, and expected to get the same sound as from the head itself. The result was not even remotely the same, what did I do wrong? I tried poweramp modeling on and off. I tried this because I'm thinking about getting a tube power amp and a 4x12" just for goofing around and playing too loud. I guess I miss the amp in the room thing a bit.

I've been struggling with the same thing.
My first time gigging with the Axe without IEMs and it's either the Axe in the JVM into a 1936 cab or using a small Mackie wedge.
I have been told by others here that there's quite a bit of tweaking needed in order to go the JVM route.
As much as I try and Eq with Amp and cabs off, I can't get anything that I like remotely like.
What is working much better for me is having Amp and Cabs on and eq-ing out all the extra bass that it adds.
This goes against what everyone says to do but as long as I like what I'm hearing onstage and I can send the non-eq'ed feed to the FOH, all should be good.

Power Amp Modeling in Global should be off, as well as Supply SAG in the amp block.
When Power Amp Modeling is off, make sure Presence is set at 5.

Also, Cab modeling should be off, even though it may sound nice at low volumes.

I accidentally Marshall 9005. I'll report back after I find a suitably cheap 4x12 to go with it.

I use my 5150 head as power for my A2. I DO NOT disable the power amp modeling and the tone blows me away! Now granted my Marshall patches have a slight 6L6 flavor to them but it still to my ears sounds and feels more authentic than with out the power amp modeling off.

Back
Top Bottom