Marshall Jubilee 2x12 with Scumback M75s

Fro

Experienced
Let’s just say that I’m a happy camper, and I can’t believe how easy it was. I have an old beat up Marshall Jubilee 2x12 cabinet that has been a favorite of mine for a long time. It’s super light, fits in the car easy, sounds great, and has been my main gigging cabinet for a long time.

The cabinet originally came with G12T-75s. Marshall used both V30’s and G12T-75s in their Jubilee cabinets. Rumor has it that the Jubilee was actually designed around the V30, but the G12T-75 was also used due to the higher power rating.

I have a 4x12 with Greenbacks that I like. I wanted something similar in this 2x12 cabinet. I ended up pulling out the G12T-75s and replaced them with Scumback M75s. M75s are basically a higher wattage Greenback, and I figured they would work better in the 2x12 than regular Greenbacks. To my ears, these speakers just made this cabinet come alive. I loved it.

I have not been able to find a commercial IR that sounds like my trusty old 2x12. I am very comfortable and familiar with this cabinet in a studio setting. I know what mics I liked on it. I always use a combination of an SM57 and Sennheiser e906.

After another round of buying, downloading and testing out a set of commercial IRs, I decided to finally try to make my own, and here they are.

I only spent about an hour on these. I got everything quickly set up, got my levels set, and shot 5 IRs with a few different mic positions I would normally use on this cabinet. They are all a combination of the SM57 and e906, all right up on the grill, but just moved around a bit. I was immediately thrilled with the result, and I know one of these will end up being my main IR for my crunch and lead patches.

I hope someone else can find some use for these. When I have more time, I’ll try to be more scientific about this. I’ll even shoot some of the individual mics. And if I can get my hands on some other mics, I’ll do those as well. The last time I used this cabinet in a studio, the engineer had a Royer 121. That was a winner as well. Maybe I'll get that next time.

Until then, I hope you enjoy these as much as I do.

marshall2x12.jpeg

Attachments

• Marshall 2x12 Both 1.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 514
  • Marshall 2x12 Both 2.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 397
  • Marshall 2x12 Both 3.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 425
  • Marshall 2x12 Both 4.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 395
  • Marshall 2x12 Both 5.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 395
Love the labels! ;-)
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro2_248 using Tapatalk

If you think sound guys only get confused when you try running direct, guess again. This 2x12 looks just like a 4x10. I can't count the number of times someone pointed the mic right at a piece of wood instead of a speaker. I was constantly moving the mics around myself. Believe it or not, the labels didn't always help. :)

Only had a couple of minutes to sample these before running errands today. These sound great and helped brighten up my guitar, which is usually very dark in tone. Thanks!!

Only had a couple of minutes to sample these before running errands today. These sound great and helped brighten up my guitar, which is usually very dark in tone. Thanks!!

I'm glad you liked them. I use a Strat with the Plexi 100 amp sim. I always had an issue finding an IR that would cut without being thin sounding. I ended up using darker IRs, and then boosting some highs and mids in the amp block. So Bass would be at 5, but Mid and Treble would be at 8. With these IRs, I can run everything at noon and still have it cut through the mix.

Thanks for sharing! The Marshall 2x12 Both 3 is a winner in my book! This IR has brought out the best qualities of the BadCat model! ;)

Thanks for sharing!

Edit: Wow! Just tested them, these sound really good! definitely gonna use them!!

Last edited:
I sed to have one of those cabs and had the same problems as you, with sound guys putting the mic in the top left corner. Looking forward to trying these later!

This one deserves a bump. I loaded these IRs and they sound absolutely excellent.
Among the best user-made IRs I ever tried.

I use to borrow one of these cabs from a friend for gigs for a time in the 90's and always wanted to buy it off him- never would sale it to me. I think his had vintage greenbacks in it, which went well with my 50W plexi at the time. Thanks for sharing these Fro- I'll try them out over the holiday weekend..

This one deserves a bump. I loaded these IRs and they sound absolutely excellent.
Among the best user-made IRs I ever tried.

Which is exactly why I resurrected it :)

I'm using the Marshall 2x12 Both 3.syx a LOT

Back
Top Bottom