Marshall JCM 900's and 2000's - Why are these never emulated in modelers?

deathbyguitar

Power User
I'm not even a Marshall guy (Recto or GTFO) but I was just curious.

I've noticed that most of the time if a Marshall amp is gonna be included in an amp modeler product it's usually a JCM 800 or a Plexi. I don't think I've ever seen a JCM 900 or a JCM 2000/DSL/TSL modeled anywhere. Were these amps all crap compared the others (JCM 800, JMP, Plexi, ect.)? Educate my feeble millennial brain.

Last edited:
These amps are not really considered great by most, so I would assume that is why?

For having owned an OLD original UK Made DSL, I really love it.
It could do the 800 thing better than a stock 800! and much much more.

Just took a glimpse at Opeth's tech rider and if they have local backline Åkerfeldt wants to use a JCM900. Some people still use them it seems.

Maybe that's the reason he doesn't use an Axe FX? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've got a '97 JCM 2000 DSL with a Mercury Magnetics OT and a choke installed... that thing is an absolute beast, and I'd kill to have it in the Axe. The newer DSL's just don't have the same "it factor" to them. I always liked them because they were clearer in the low mids and less buzzy than the TSL and JVM (had to buy a JVM on the road once for an emergency and could not wait to get rid of it). The JCM 900 was another buzz machine. The clean channel dimed sounded great, but the lead channel was useless without an EQ pedal in front of it to give it some low end.

When we played Reading and Leeds, Jim Marshall's son was there and I told him how much I loved my JCM 2000 DSL 100. He told me that was their best selling amp right up there with the 1959SLP. I believe it too. The Crunch channel can give JCM 800 vibes and a great clean. The Lead 1 channel (my personal favorite) sounded massive and had a great balance of body and cut. I got rid of my VHT Deliverance, TopHat Emplexador, Dual Rec, Orange AD-30's, and a JCM 900, but I'll never part with that '97 DSL. It may not be a "cool" amp to have, but it sure sounds incredible.

I've got a '97 JCM 2000 DSL with a Mercury Magnetics OT and a choke installed... that thing is an absolute beast, and I'd kill to have it in the Axe. The newer DSL's just don't have the same "it factor" to them. I always liked them because they were clearer in the low mids and less buzzy than the TSL and JVM (had to buy a JVM on the road once for an emergency and could not wait to get rid of it). The JCM 900 was another buzz machine. The clean channel dimed sounded great, but the lead channel was useless without an EQ pedal in front of it to give it some low end.

When we played Reading and Leeds, Jim Marshall's son was there and I told him how much I loved my JCM 2000 DSL 100. He told me that was their best selling amp right up there with the 1959SLP. I believe it too. The Crunch channel can give JCM 800 vibes and a great clean. The Lead 1 channel (my personal favorite) sounded massive and had a great balance of body and cut. I got rid of my VHT Deliverance, TopHat Emplexador, Dual Rec, Orange AD-30's, and a JCM 900, but I'll never part with that '97 DSL. It may not be a "cool" amp to have, but it sure sounds incredible.

Well I have to imagine Cliff would model it if you sent it to him...and/or if there were a schematic.

Well, the nice secret is that if if you turn down the second diode clipping preamp in MkII JCM900s you get a JCM800, speaking of the real hardware. So you get a cheap JCM800. Anyway, for emulation, put a Tube screamer in front of the JCM800 and you should be there.

JCM900 was the sound of the grunge bands and Dave Navarro btw. The Mk II was the good one, the later JCM900s went downhill. I had a 39pound JCM900 combo that was the most light-weight Marshall I've ever encountered, perfect for gigs. But sold it as the days of tube amps are now over.

Didn't the original Axe-Fx have a JCM900 model? I have a MKIII 900 and it's an okay amp.

I'm pretty sure you're right here. I remember not liking it because it literally disappeared in the mix.

I took a shot at one of these in a shoppe once after I saw Pat Travers playing one. It still didn't impress me. I cannot imagine that you can't find out what the tweaks are from 800 to 900 and replicate it.

JCM2000 DSL is one of Marshall's best to me.

BUT, Channel One is a clean JCM800 and a Cranked JCM800
Channel 2, is a SLP and a Cranked/Modded SLP- so everything it does, the Axe Fx can do

Although, the Friedman stuff in the Axe FX really fulfill my need of Marshalls

Several friends of mine adore JCM900s. They're all over the place, some are much better than others- and some are really really good- seems like a difficult model to truly emulate.

As a Tom Morello fan the JCM800 2205 is the one I want. Whereas almost all the emulated JCM800's out there seem to go for the 2203. I don't even like that one, not enough gain for my taste. The 2205 had more gain and was usable without needing a tubescreamer in front. In that sense I like the JCM2000 as an alternative. Never had a JCM900 so I can't comment on that.

As a Tom Morello fan the JCM800 2205 is the one I want. Whereas almost all the emulated JCM800's out there seem to go for the 2203. I don't even like that one, not enough gain for my taste. The 2205 had more gain and was usable without needing a tubescreamer in front. In that sense I like the JCM2000 as an alternative. Never had a JCM900 so I can't comment on that.

Agreed on the not enough gain thing.

Just wondering as I have no idea of the physical differences between the 2203/2204 and the 2205/2210, but can this be simulated with the current 800 in the Axe III?

I think they have a stigma of just not being as good as the amps that came before them. I can't comment on the JCM900, but I did play a friend's DSL in a band for a couple years and I thought it was just okay...

As far as Marshalls go, I think the Marshall Major, the Super Bass, and the Valvestate are probably some of the more famous designs that aren't currently modeled. And I know Satriani is a big fan of the 6100, but other than him I can't think of anyone else singing its praises.

Just wondering as I have no idea of the physical differences between the 2203/2204 and the 2205/2210, but can this be simulated with the current 800 in the Axe III?
The 2205/2210 had channel switching with a "clean" channel. They also used diode clipping for more preamp gain. Slightly different voice than the single channel 2203/2204 amps.
The Axe can easily achieve both sounds. The 800 Mod model gets closer to the 2210 sound to my ears.

The 2205/2210 had channel switching with a "clean" channel. They also used diode clipping for more preamp gain. Slightly different voice than the single channel 2203/2204 amps.
The Axe can easily achieve both sounds. The 800 Mod model gets closer to the 2210 sound to my ears.
Doesn't the Jubilee also have Diode clipping?
Funny that this one sought after and not the 2205/2210...

Maybe. I often turn up the input trim to get more gain. But I've also yet to find a JCM800 model in the Axe that I like. They all sound way too bassy for my taste. The Plexi models sound better to my ear.

That's why I stick a pedal in front of it most of the time, both modeled and "real" JCM800.

That's not how Tom does it, I prefer to stick more closely to his setup. Also drive pedals seem to eat up way too much DSP if you ask me.

Doesn't the Jubilee also have Diode clipping?
Funny that this one sought after and not the 2205/2210...

I think pretty much all Marshalls after the JCM800 have diode clipping. Maybe that is why they are less sought after by tube purists? Who then proceed to put a drive pedal with diode clipping in front of those Plexi's and JCM800's to get the gain they want. :grinning:

Back
Top Bottom