Marshall JCM 900's and 2000's - Why are these never emulated in modelers?

once they get 10 and 20 years older and a few more of them are out of service they'll be more sought after as they become less common. Common cant possibly be any good, right?

I had a JCM900 Model 2500 for years. This was the single channel version that had two Master Volume knobs. It was also a 50 watt version of the amp. I think that you can basically get the same sound with a JCM 800 and add some diode clipping. These amps had two preamp gain knobs. One drove the preamp tube section like the 800, the other was a diode clipping circuit. Sounded great with a tube screamer. I used the amp for everything from Death Metal to Country. You could definitely get the Marshall tones out of the amp, but there wasn't anything really special about the amp besides the two master volume knobs which I used to a great extent. For a long time I ran an MXR eq pedal in the effects loop.
I have exactly this amp and I've said it more than once, it sounds better to me than my original 2555 and cost 1/4 the money.

JCM 800, 2203 here, I own 2 of them, w/ 1960 cab's, not familiar with mentioned amps however would welcome them to the FM9, Until then I'd recommend the Brit 800, and be warned, your not worthy!

Wow, just saw this thread...

I spent 10 years with the JCM900's being my only amps, I used to dig them a lot BUT I am talking about the MKIII Master Volume versions, NOT the Dual Reverbs (never liked them for some reason, too sterile), NOR the SLX.

I had the 100W head with the 4x12 cab but I ended up using for pretty much everything the 50W 1x12 combo. And before these I had a 1959SLP (Superlead Reissue) but the volume was too much so that's why I ended up with the JCM900's...

BTW, I wasn't playing metal with them, lol, mostly blues-based music (Hendrix etc.) so the (two, lol) Gain pots were set fairly low pretty much all the time and the volume almost maxxed out. I think, it's been ages since then (90ies)...

Still, I doubt if I would ever use them in the AF3/FM9, I am stuck with the Plexi models since the AF2 era.

Wow, just saw this thread...

I spent 10 years with the JCM900's being my only amps, I used to dig them a lot BUT I am talking about the MKIII Master Volume versions, NOT the Dual Reverbs (never liked them for some reason, too sterile), NOR the SLX.

I had the 100W head with the 4x12 cab but I ended up using for pretty much everything the 50W 1x12 combo. And before these I had a 1959SLP (Superlead Reissue) but the volume was too much so that's why I ended up with the JCM900's...

BTW, I wasn't playing metal with them, lol, mostly blues-based music (Hendrix etc.) so the (two, lol) Gain pots were set fairly low pretty much all the time and the volume almost maxxed out. I think, it's been ages since then (90ies)...

Still, I doubt if I would ever use them in the AF3/FM9, I am stuck with the Plexi models since the AF2 era.
The 2500 head has to be the most overlooked amp out of all the Marshalls.

I just tried matching my JCM 2000 DSL100 a couple days ago. If I remember correctly, try the Friedman BE C45 model, turn the Sat switch ON (I think), Depth around 7.25, and Master volume around 4.4. Go to the amp’s preamp page and turn the preamp high cut up to 16k (Cliff’s recommendation based on Marshall values) to get the top end air the DSL has.

That got me really close to my 100w head. The 50w is a different animal, and I haven’t done that one yet.
I followed this general tuning advice for Marshalls and did it to a couple of other amps like the JCM800#34. Pretty good results.

Back
Top Bottom