Marshall Jcm 800 2203 ZW (Zakk Wylde) Signature Head?

I liked his older work with Ozzy, and a few songs out of his BLS stuff as well. Not sure I'd say I was a fanboi, but I did buy his signature chorus pedal. I actually tried it against several at the time and preferred his over the other brands. I hated the bullseye finish though! Would have been much cooler looking to have a brushed metal finish without the bullseye paint on top.

The speakers are EVM-12L speakers. They're like 400 watts RMS and they don't break up IIRC.

In other news...I think that video just gave me a migraine.

He sat in for Dickey Betts in the Allman Brothers and you could have sworn he had been playing their songs from the get go. It was pretty cool and different but he didn't add any of his own bag to it. Stayed true to the original stuff.

In all seriousness, just put chorus and rotary blocks in series going into the input of any high gain amp with the gain on 10 and you're there.

He's definitely a much more versatile player than most thin. His acoustic version of Machine Gun Man from Pride and Glory is still so awesome! Ya I ended up making a preset last night that seemed to have gotten closer. I still don't understand the whole Power Tube variations though. I've owned heads and swapped tubes, had them biased and clearly sound much different. With the Axe I really can't tell. Maybe it's just a feel thing? But Ya, swapping to his 6550's doesn't change anything for me. Definitely his speaker choice is ideal. And the fact that his string gauges are massive.
I just remember playing it thru a cab with probably V30's and it was such a large sounding amp. Thanks for the input guys!

Didn't he use a Boss Metal Zone pedal straight into an SPX-900 into the console for Perry Mason on the Ozzmosis alubm?

That was a badass tone.

no comment

I turned the volume off. All of a sudden this video was far more impressive than it was before.

If you can't respect Zakk's talent, I'm not sure who out there is "good enough"?

Sorry, I don't see guitar playing as a sport.

I agree that his work with Ozzy was impressive... although I have to wonder how much of that was actually RR material that then 'became' ZW material, because all of ZW's work since has been "look at how fast my pentatonics are" and have been tasteless wankery.

No, I'm not saying I'm as fast as Zakk, or technical as Petrucci, or phrase like Santana. In fact, my original comments had absolutely zero to do with his skill level (not that you're necessarily directing your post to me). My original point, the one I'd like to get back to, is simply that he rode his name into any and every endorsement deal he could get his hands on. I'm not judging him for that, it's a smart business move - just ask Gene Simmons. I'm simply saying that if a guy is notorious for telling kids in Guitar Center that "X BRAND/MODEL" pedal/amp/guitar/pickups/assless-chaps/whatever is teh brootz, then many if not all of those items are later debunked for whatever tonal flaws they have, then I'm going to be more skeptical of products that person endorses in the future.

If OP wants this tone, great. Take one of the hotrodded jcm800 models, switch the tubes to 6550's, and do the math to simulate their interaction with whatever OT he uses. Pick a suitable IR of 12L's. Toss a Tubescreamer variant and maybe a chorus block up front along with a very throaty wah. Done.

...or in any style of build, since EMGs sound the same in everything.

*paging Dr.ChrisMetal86*

Disagree. You can absolutely hear the kind of build: scale length, bridge & wood type all come through. The nuance of the quality of said woods is overshadowed.

Last edited:
Disagree. You can absolutely hear the kind of build: scale length, bridge & wood type all come through. The nuance of the quality of said woods is overshadowed.

*paging Dr.ChrisMetal86*

*Dr.ChrisMetal86, please report to the ZW signature amp thread*

Lol if I had only thought at the time to make a video of it to post up..

Now I'm sure a longer scale length with floppy strings would probably make it sound the same, but with flub to it.. :lol

You have a video comparing EMG across scale length and bridge types?

Come on guys. Stop bashing Zakk. Just play the No more tears solo and give him a big break. The guy is true to himself and the fans. He wrote killer riffs with the Ozzman, and Pride and Glory was pretty unique. If you ain't gonna share tips for acquiring a similar tone (what the OP intended) then kindly move to the next topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a huge fan of his and to me his best work was during the Pride and Glory days. Good songs, a bit over the top on the leads, but they had some melody to them for the most part. But his voice was fantastic in my opinion and I thought that genre of heavy modern southern influenced rock was really going to be something that he could do for a long time. Then BLS came along and as much as it pains me to admit it because I think that he's just a fun guy who loves to play loud....it's not listenable. And I tried.

Absolutely on the money - I conpletely agree.
On paper, every A&R guy should have wet themselves over Pride & Glory. Well established guitar shredder, great looking kid, killer voice, good songs in the vein of great US radio friendly rock like Skynard. (Keith Urban anyone??)
I totally would have seen the building up a great following & selling truckloads of records, but he totally blew it. I can't stand BLS either, yet I still consider myself a Zakk fan :cry

As far as tone goes, I believe his active EMG pickups will contribute to the tone

Absolutely on the money - I conpletely agree.
On paper, every A&R guy should have wet themselves over Pride & Glory. Well established guitar shredder, great looking kid, killer voice, good songs in the vein of great US radio friendly rock like Skynard. (Keith Urban anyone??)
I totally would have seen the building up a great following & selling truckloads of records, but he totally blew it. I can't stand BLS either, yet I still consider myself a Zakk fan :cry

As far as tone goes, I believe his active EMG pickups will contribute to the tone
Yeah, what pisses me off is that in the process we ended up missing out on what could have been a lot of great songs.

Back
Top Bottom