Marshall help

hanksta13

Hi,
I've been try to get this JMP 2203 sound out of my Axe, but can't quite nail the nastiness of this amp. I'm trying to use the "Brit-800" model since it's probably the closest to the JMP.
Would love any advice from you Axe masters out there.
Thanks

http://youtu.be/XKdsQxI5Ses

I think the early JMP's (and maybe some early JCM's for that matter) came with 6550's in them ?

There is also a hot rodded JCM800 model which you could try, forget exactly what was changed over the normal 800. Last but not least, there is also the AFD100 amp models, which also has that modded JCM 800 character and even 6550 tube type (and is probably my favorite choice)

Sometimes the best luck comes with not matching the same type of model, but instead matching the tone, ala the "use your ears" method

The Cameron models, such as the CAMERON Ccv 1A, have a pretty aggressive tone to them, that kind of out Marshalls a Marshall

Try doing what they're doing in the video. They're using a Digitech Bad Monkey to boost the amp. The Bad Monkey is simply a Tube Screamer with a bass control, and this can easily be replicated in the AxeFx. Also, they're playing through an Orange cabinet. Try to find an IR of an orange cabinet. I think Mikko (ML Sound Lab) posted an Orange IR a couple months ago.

Thanks for all your help. I'm getting really close with the jumped SLP model. The 6550 tubes seem to get me closer also. I'm using the factory citrus model cab, which sounds best to me for that type of tone and breakup. I know he's using a Bad Monkey in the video,but I like the straight up tone of that amp, boosted or not, it just has that great growl to it. I'm also really diggin the Brit OD-1.

Not in the UK as far as I know. I have never seen a JMP or JCM from that era with anything but EL34. Must be that the US exports amps had them?

My main amp for a time was an early JCM 2203 that had stock 6550's.. I ran across two others that were the same during that time as well, so they were not rare. But I don't know if that was unique to US exports only... may have been. They didn't sound all that different to the EL34-equiped versions if I remember correctly. At leas the way I used them..

As far as the OP.. I always used those amps w/ fairly low gain settings for more of a big clean/slight dirt tone and then pushed w/ pedals. Hard to judge things in that video, but I would agree that a good cab IR w/ a V30 may get you closer to where you're headed.

I think the early JMP's (and maybe some early JCM's for that matter) came with 6550's in them ?

There is also a hot rodded JCM800 model which you could try, forget exactly what was changed over the normal 800. Last but not least, there is also the AFD100 amp models, which also has that modded JCM 800 character and even 6550 tube type (and is probably my favorite choice)

I had a 2203, 2x12 combo 100 watts that I bought used in 1990. It had 5881 power tubes. I don't know anything about tubes. Maybe that is a different part number, but the same tube as 6550's.

Back
Top Bottom