Marshall-esque amps for high gain tones?

the splawn quick rod sim is probably my favorite hot rodded marshall sound (OD2 is where its at with a boost in the front, my go to is the BB pre). honorable mentions go to the euro blue with a boost for being nice and chunky!

I'm all about the Friedmans. I actually really like the small box.
I also use a Plexi with a tube screamer.

I just discovered this one too. I didn't have much time, so just for fun I quickly tried to get my VH sound going and it was pretty easy and sounded really good!!

11809980_871134516316877_284973039_n(1).jpg

JCM 800 and Friedman small box are my favorites. They have open and natural sound. The other Friedmans feel like distortion pedals.

had a lil' spare moment in the studio tonight whilst I was waiting for the guys to turn up for a writing session..
by accident I came across this preset and noodled away for half hour..

"I'm the one, the one you love, c'mon baby show your love………."

yummie fun stuff...

this is my hot JCM
enjoy..

View attachment ClkyJCM800EVH.syx

Attachments

• ClkyBoostedMkIIC.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 26
Like all the guys have mentioned, Friedman, Cameron, JVM - you can't go wrong.

I actually use the Dirty Shirley with an EP Booster in front of it, and let me tell you, the tone, the TONE, THE TONE!!

ahhh.. just realised...
totally by accident I've added the sysex file for my hot MkIIC too..
this is essentially the same deal as the hot JCM but it has a slightly different voice..
interestingly, voicing of the Hot-MkIIC is not a million miles away from a 5150

soooooo much fun

Last edited:
People swear by the Friedman's for high-gain Marshall tones, but I've had way better luck with the Splawn Quickrod models. Run them really bright with low gain and put an 808 in front of it.

Cameron & splaw are really great with Q1 i find. Very good before but great now. Punchy and defined.
But i love too the jvm ! And BE , and ...
Love the fw Q1 for higain way better than before

Great idea (using very little cpu) ~ Can't wait to try this, since I don't need to add additional distortion before the amp. :)

I totally get where you're coming from regarding not wanting to add too much coloration..
here's a cool thing too..
imagine an "aggressive clean" tone from a low / mid gain amp..
with the filter in one scene off, it can be clean under normal playing conditions, and maybe have a little 'bite' when you dig in..
in another scene, the filter switches on.. but the filter also has quite a high level setting..
this will up the ante in the dirt stakes, but the filters hi and low cuts will kill the flub and icepick
and if this boost causes too big a volume jump you can add a GEQ after the cab that cuts in on that scene to cool the volume jump and maybe add a little sweetening EQ too..
the sweet part [which I personally like] is that the same amp is used to generate both tones..
that means the underlying voice is the same and so provides a sort of continuity [as opposed to switching between two different amps that are voiced quite differently]
to my ear, shaping tones from one type of amp makes your various clean and dirty tones sort of 'belong together'.. a tone family if you will

the JVM's are just the classic high gain Marshall sound to me... pair with the factory IR 131 (or 132), dial in a little low cut in the cab and its spot on perfect for me without tweaking a single thing

zombie-thread-png.222779

Back
Top Bottom