Marshall-esque amps for high gain tones?

I've used a bunch of different IRs with that model, but at the moment I've been using IRs from the OH Multi Speaker Collection with mainly Vintage 30s, G12Ms, and sometimes a mixture of both. I set the low cut to 80-100 and high cut around 8-10k in the cab block. But like everyone on here, I'm constantly trying out new IRs.

Which ones have you been liking lately?

The Cab pack 10 from Fractals are great. Mark Day's marshall cab sounds great for high gain marshall rock tones.

Try the Celestion RI-H30s 55s/75s and also try to mix both together or Celestion BB-H30s same thing....sounds stellar with the Atomica High I think. Cuts through the mix great for live playing, haven't done much in the studio yet but Im sure they work the same.

I've used a bunch of different IRs with that model, but at the moment I've been using IRs from the OH Multi Speaker Collection with mainly Vintage 30s, G12Ms, and sometimes a mixture of both. I set the low cut to 80-100 and high cut around 8-10k in the cab block. But like everyone on here, I'm constantly trying out new IRs.

Which ones have you been liking lately?

I love this:
JCM800
Power: MV = Post PI
input drive=6
MV=7
boost and bright switches on

pop a null filter in front of the amp to mimic a TS808 clean
low cut=700
high cut=880

then Van Halen your tits off all night long until the police show up and make you turn it down..

That´s also my Setting for the JCM 800 - at MV 7 the amp beginns to "live"!

Good Idea with a null filter - I´ve used it with tubescreamer Default.

Friedman smallbox is nice, more natural sounding than the other Friedmans and Splawns.

But my favorite is the JCM800. And you can tweak it all the way to craziness in the Axe.

So I tried all of the amps mentioned. And I still kept going back to the JCM800mod. It just cuts through the mix in a way the others don't, while still sounding big and aggressive. It's actually pretty remarkable. All the other amps in isolation sound huge and tight, but the JCM800mod has just the right amount of give, growl and clarity. I guess i'll keep it for now and see how it goes

I'm quite fond of the Bogners (Euro Red/Blue models .... more Red than blue) at the moment. As Cliff mentioned in a post a while back, wind up the treble if it sounds too dark and you get modded Marshall.

The Friedmans .... well what more can I say .... they are really good.

Euro Red, low gain, high Presence (obviously), and a big boost with mids pushed and bass cut from a block in front, has been great for me lately. Perfect tone for the Countdown to Extinction album by Megadeth.

Note: he played the JB pickup into a JVM with no boost, so definitely toy with the JVM... I personally don't jive with it though, and prefer something more "American" (a 5150III, usually), or more "British", like the boosted JCM800. The JVM is a Jack of all, master of none amp to me :)

That´s also my Setting for the JCM 800 - at MV 7 the amp beginns to "live"!

Good Idea with a null filter - I´ve used it with tubescreamer Default.

the null filter does the same job as the TS whilst consuming a zillionth of the cpu…
Cliff posted this suggestion a while back.. I use the same filter in front of my "hot MkIIC"
my "hot MkIIC" is basically the same idea as my "hot JCM800" above with the MV = post PI and similar-ish settings..
and holy crap it screams..
it reminds me of a 5153Red in some ways.. but just a little tighter.. and fights back just a little more

Try the Celestion RI-H30s 55s/75s and also try to mix both together or Celestion BB-H30s same thing....sounds stellar with the Atomica High I think. Cuts through the mix great for live playing, haven't done much in the studio yet but Im sure they work the same.

Hey man, I can't respond to your PM because your inbox is full. Shoot me a message once you've been able to clear out some space, and I'll send you my reply. And in the spirit of staying consistent with this thread, check out the Atomica high with both Mesa cabs in the JYC and let me know how you like them.

Smallbox is my fav Friedman by far, followed by the Dirty Shirley. Never been able to make the BE or HBE work for me, personally....though most love them.

I didn't used to like the Friedmans but with Quantum firmware the BE with a drive pedal in front has become my go to amp. It is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

I'm lovin' the 5153 for Marshall-type high gain.

Agree with this.
I absolutely love the 5153 Blue for a Plexi Tone.
I like the Plexi's too, but for some reason the 5153 Blue just dials in the exact way I want it.
(another great thing about the Axe...I've never even though of buying/trying the actual 5153 real amp...but with the Axe, I get to just flip over and try it out. The Axe is like having a boutique guitar shop at your finger tips)

Don't for get the new JMP1 sims. Grab the od2bs, turn on the sat switch to ideal, and crank the sat to 10, and it gets real mean. All of the jpm1 sims rule, but that's my go too for super massive gain.

Also a clean 808mod does something nice for this too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spawn Rod benefited nicely from Quantum. I like OD 2-1. OD 1-2 will give you something in the ballpark of the 800mod.

I absolutely love the 5153 Blue for a Plexi Tone.
I like the Plexi's too, but for some reason the 5153 Blue just dials in the exact way I want it...

I'm with this guy. Cuts through nicely.

I am going to give a shot at that Atomica High tho...

I dont think you can beat the friedmans.

The HBE is probably the best amp i've heard. I used to be all about the 5150, but it's stealing the lime light now!

I love this:
JCM800
Power: MV = Post PI
input drive=6
MV=7
boost and bright switches on

pop a null filter in front of the amp to mimic a TS808 clean
low cut=700
high cut=880

then Van Halen your tits off all night long until the police show up and make you turn it down..

had a lil' spare moment in the studio tonight whilst I was waiting for the guys to turn up for a writing session..
by accident I came across this preset and noodled away for half hour..

"I'm the one, the one you love, c'mon baby show your love………."

yummie fun stuff...

Back
Top Bottom