Marshall DSL40C with 4CM

Severed

Fractal Fanatic
Marshall DSL100H with 4CM update

So I've been itching for a decent combo amp for a backup rig and rehearsals for a while now, and I spent the last 2 weekends testing out a bunch. Ended up settling on a Marshall DSL40C because it just had punch that no other combo came close to, as well as the volume to keep up with my excessive "wanna-be Neil Peart" drummer and his theory; "there is no such thing as empty space in a song."

The stock Celestion Seventy-Eighty speaker - not a fan, so I swapped it out with a G12T-75 out of my 1960b cab. Goodbye raspy mid high harshness, hello thick creamy tone. I did actually run the Seventy-Eighty with a looper at volume for 12 hours or so, so it was broke in and mellowed out a bit, but it still would have required more EQ to fix what I didn't like, so it had to go. The G12T-75 was exactly the right match for the tone I am after and comes from a 1960b I got from KLM backline and has over 500 hours on it..... it is well used and beyond broken in, and it's awesome.

Running it with 4CM, this little combo amp is f-ing amazing. I am shocked because I tried the 4CM with my JVM210 and my old JMP2203 and it sounded horrible in both setups. The only downside is that the Axe does not have an amp relay switch...... and the DSL40C does not have midi capability....... hmm. Luckily I have an old TC Electronic G-Major kicking around which does have relays so I ran midi out of the Axe and just use it to switch amp channels. This setup is limiting in that I need to then use a different preset for cleans and dirtys, but I can still use scenes for each, just not one preset and switch channels within via scenes, unless I set up an IA specifically for that, but I can't stand doing things that way where I need to switch channels and then select a scene.... 2 steps... I am a one step kind of guy.

Anyways, I just wanted to say, if anyone is looking a for decent combo amp for 4CM or for the FX8 when it's available this amp is the shiznet for the price and really sings.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmmmm...I'm using my Axe in 4CM with my JVM210H at the moment and I love it. what sounded "horrible" about it?

I remember it being extremely noisy and way too much hiss with 4CM.

To be honest, after trying it and experiencing that, I gave up rather quickly (didn't try humbuster cables) in favor of trying out the FRFR route and using the full modeling of amps and cabs in the Axe FX II.

Last edited:
Man I am getting some stellar results with this amp and the single G12T-75.
Discovered a few really cool things I never thought of before too
Using the 4CM method, I just added another row straight across the grid and I can send stuff right to the poweramp of the DSL, like a clean synth, cool! It required some EQ but wow it's 100% clean while I am on the lead (distorted) channel. Have to be extremely careful though as it's direct to the poweramp it's full volume and you need to attenuate the signal on the grid for that line.
I also tried using some of the 100000000000000000 IR's I have as filters in place of EQ's just to see how they would work, and (with speaker modeling on) some actually sounded interesting and usable.
Had another idea tonight, added a 2nd line, and used an Amp Block with Sag @ 0, sent it direct to the DSL poweramp. wow great results.. then I got to thinking, what If I blended the real tube pre with the Axe model?..... holyshitfuckingball9! I don't know why I never though of trying this before..... man I even took it further and blended a 2nd amp block.... I played with a lot of diff amps, and then I tried using drive blocks, and well ya I needed to take a break so I decided to post this, but ya, it's like being a kid in a candy store, again!

Last edited:
So after a week with this amp, feeling the fool, I've just returned it. Long story short, this amp simply ain't got the mojo.
Great amp at low volume, for personal practice and studio recording, or any style at volume other than hard rock and metal.

well that was a 180 LOL!
happens to all of us. I almost dumped my JVM after a week, then I changed out the tubes and re biased it up to 38ma a side
stock they come out in the low 20's (no wonder they sound like crap), nwo it sounds like a different amp :
still would like to see a pic of that routing you mentioned though :)

Shit... totally missed that, I'll post a pic later today.

Oh and trust me, im no newbie.... been at this 27 years and owned many tube rigs over that time. We checked bias. Even a diff set of tubes.We tried different speakers including a couple different ext cabs as we all thought it was the speaker or the cab just resonating but it turned out the power section takes a crap with the masters up around 50%

They had another one on the floor and so I demonstrated this to the salesman, as my return I has spent time repackaging it.

Thinking it over its my own fault. Trying to make a 6 cylinder minivan perform like an f350 diesel.... wrong tool for the job.

I might revisit the JVM, but the prices right now are retarded.

Hey man sorry I got busy, anyways here is that screenshot.

The biggest thing to remember is that the signal going direct to the poweramp bypasses the master volume and acts like the master is on 10 so be careful if you try doing this. I leave the amp on standby while confirming volume levels.

hmm.........Interesting
So I pretty much get almost everything that's going on here except for that bottom row
Is that the one that goes directly to the power amp?
And you've routed the amp models with the sag off in parallel with that row?
Because they are wired in front of the Fx Loop Block are they still "in front of the amp"
this way?
oh and on the JVMs I think the earlier models may have had some "issues" my buddy has a 210H as well and his is a 2007
mine is a 2010 and mine sounds ..........way better. Same tubes ,same bias, so who knows :?

Rows 2, 3, and 4 all go direct to poweramp bypassing the amps master volume. On the DSL100H the resonance and presence still affect the tone at this point, but nothing else.

for the amp blocks, ya I'm using PA sag set to off. Setting the master out for blocks going direct I have then around -45 to -50.

Really its just a tester to see what the DSL can handle.

Back
Top Bottom