Wish Marshall DSL 100

Yeah the JCM2000 DSL 100 was a great amp. I seem to remember they were a bit prone to smoking output transformers, but they sounded good. Very versatile despite the shared EQ between channels. I agree on the cleans. They were quite good and the digital reverb was quite usable as well.

Leon's got a great video on the original version:

As he mentions in the vid, the Vintage Modern was a great amp too. It covered a lot of ground for classic Marshall tones.

I will 2nd this wish. When the JVM series came out a friend brought his over and we A/B'd extensively. My conclusion was, it has a bunch more knobs but it didn't sound better than the lead 1 channel on the DSL. Oh and not to mention, that Jim Marshall said this was his favorite amp. I personally like the Plexis and the DSL as my favs. I could care less for the JCM 800 and would prefer a JCM 900 DR. 800s just get too muddy for me. I could get a better 800 sound with a plexi and some pedals.
I currently own a DSL 50 and would loan mine out to use as a reference if needed.
I also owned all 4 of the newer Studio 20 watters. I kept the DSL 20 and the SV20.

I will 2nd this wish. When the JVM series came out a friend brought his over and we A/B'd extensively. My conclusion was, it has a bunch more knobs but it didn't sound better than the lead 1 channel on the DSL. Oh and not to mention, that Jim Marshall said this was his favorite amp. I personally like the Plexis and the DSL as my favs. I could care less for the JCM 800 and would prefer a JCM 900 DR. 800s just get too muddy for me. I could get a better 800 sound with a plexi and some pedals.
I currently own a DSL 50 and would loan mine out to use as a reference if needed.
I also owned all 4 of the newer Studio 20 watters. I kept the DSL 20 and the SV20.
Was actually thinking of getting (for home studio type use) either a DSL40CR combo, or DSL20HR head to drive an extra open backed cab w mesa C90 (cel CL80) I have. Was leaning toward the combo just to get the extra channel options but would prefer a head - any thoughts?

Was actually thinking of getting (for home studio type use) either a DSL40CR combo, or DSL20HR head to drive an extra open backed cab w mesa C90 (cel CL80) I have. Was leaning toward the combo just to get the extra channel options but would prefer a head - any thoughts?
Well, for studio use, you would have more options with the DSL40CR with it having more channels. I personally only use the 2 CHs that the DSL20HR has and set the Classic Gain to a clean setting. So, for me, it would be best. I don't care at all for the lead 2 CH on the DSL amps and for the Crunch CH, I would just roll my volume knob or use one of my plexi amps to get that vibe.

I agree... Had a JVM100H with my DSL100. Bought the JVM because of the channel switching and other various functions but when it came time to thin the herd the JVM had to go. The DSL is just a real workhorse and sounds great through my 2x12 V30 cabinet. Never had a real Plexi so I can't comment , the ones in the AxeFx sound awesome.

Bought a DSL401 1x12 combo .. got rid of that also. Was not bad but was heavy and did not hold up compared to the head.

the 100 watt head transformers are tonally superior
I have owned them both and A/Bd side by side. If there is a difference it is very little.
BTW, I just noticed, when I was saying DSL 100 or DSL 50, I mean the JCM 2000 English made versions and not the DSL 100 vietnam version. I have A/B'd the 50 watter to the DSL 40C and I prefered the older JCM 2000 DSL 50. It wasn't a huge difference but just something a little better in the older version going on. As for the newer R versions, I only have a DSL20HR to compare with. It sounds great and I really like it but it is a bit different than the JCM 2000 versions.

Yeah seems like in some amps the magic starts happening when you are pushing their limits. Often doesn't bode well for the longevity of the amp or tubes though. I remember lots of folks upgrading to Mercury Magnetics OTs. The DSL 100 was the runner up when I switched to a Boogie Mark IV years ago. I've never played through the more recent version of the DSL, so I can't speak to that.

Yeah seems like in some amps the magic starts happening when you are pushing their limits. Often doesn't bode well for the longevity of the amp or tubes though. I remember lots of folks upgrading to Mercury Magnetics OTs. The DSL 100 was the runner up when I switched to a Boogie Mark IV years ago. I've never played through the more recent version of the DSL, so I can't speak to that.
I upgraded my JVM100H to a Mercury Magnetic output transformer and still preferred my DSL... LOL. Guy who purchased it from me got a steal. .

Back
Top Bottom