Marshall Crunch

rtcook

Experienced
Been working with the 100W Plexi. Love the amp. Would like to get a little bit more crunch out of it. Any tweaking suggestions on how to get this out of the amp itself and not by using a pedal or efffect? Lots of advanced options with tranny, tubes, etc. Just not sure where to start. Anybody able to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Roger

There's a lot of ways to potentially do this- you could adjust the input trim up a little- that'll make the input signal hotter and drive the whole amp a bit more. Another way you might find useful is to adjust the OT impedance match parameter in the advanced menu. I'm not right in front of my rig right now, but I believe adjusting it downwards a little will give you more crunch as well. The impedance match is my personal favorite way to dirty or clean up an amp a little- you won't need to make a dramatic change either- a little goes a long way. I know you said no external pedals, but a GEQ or PEQ placed before the amp will really let you fine tune how you'd like the amp to sound and respond across the gain spectrum. See the article in the Cliffs Notes section on pre-EQ. Have fun!

Been working with the 100W Plexi. Love the amp. Would like to get a little bit more crunch out of it. Any tweaking suggestions on how to get this out of the amp itself and not by using a pedal or efffect? Lots of advanced options with tranny, tubes, etc. Just not sure where to start. Anybody able to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Roger

I would also try a variety of cab IR's assuming you're using a cab in the chain somewhere. Here's something I'm currently working on using the Plexi 50 (my new fav) - nothing in front of it and just mild tweaks to the advanced params and a cab IR I spent some time tweaking also. I think it's got lotsa crunch 8) - at least IMO.

I would also try a variety of cab IR's assuming you're using a cab in the chain somewhere. Here's something I'm currently working on using the Plexi 50 (my new fav) - nothing in front of it and just mild tweaks to the advanced params and a cab IR I spent some time tweaking also. I think it's got lotsa crunch 8) - at least IMO.

Great sound & playing! Can you post the patch?

Daaaayum...killer tone and playing man. Love it!! :encouragement: Post that patch please!!!

Not sure which 100W Plexi you're working with, but I really favor the "Jump" model for my Marshall crunch tones. It's got a ton of immediacy, crunches beautifully and you can adjust the normal & treble channels to get a brighter or darker tone. Push both channels up equally a bit at a time to find the right level of overall crunch, then tweak the balance between the two to get your final tone.

I've found putting a drive block in front of the amp block can help tighten up your crunch sound. My preferred drive block for crunch is the T808 OD. The trick is pull back the Input Gain on the amp just a bit and keep the Drive parameter on the drive pedal at around 9 o'clock. Then use the Level parameter to push the amp to the desired level of crunch.

Sounds like Hard Rock meets Hard Core Metal=Brutal Fusion!!:excitement: Great tone man! The end of the tune sounded a bit Like modern EVH.:)

...I really favor the "Jump" model for my Marshall crunch tones. It's got a ton of immediacy, crunches beautifully and you can adjust the normal & treble channels to get a brighter or darker tone. Push both channels up equally a bit at a time to find the right level of overall crunch, then tweak the balance between the two to get your final tone.
^^^ This.

The jumpered Plexi model lets you flavor your crunch any way you like it, and the model naturally tends toward meaty crunch to begin with.

Great preset. Thanks for sharing.

I had to re-read the OP though. I thought that preset was the example of the lack of brightness... NOT :)

Great Marshall grind in that one mate!

Really awesome. Nice tone.
Tks for the preset.

Nice!

While I don't have an Axe FX yet (on the list for the XL) I'm generally blown away every time I hear someone post a sound clip, and this was no exception! Love the sound and the playing!

Peace,
Brian

Back
Top Bottom