Marshall Amp - Fine Tuning

Tredmo72

Really loving the Marshall Amps

But I fell like I am missing out by maybe not looking a making some adjusts with some of the deeper editing options

Any suggests to start with so I can make some A/B comparisons on Amps like the 1987X and SLP 1959?

Really loving the Marshall Amps

But I fell like I am missing out by maybe not looking a making some adjusts with some of the deeper editing options

Any suggests to start with so I can make some A/B comparisons on Amps like the 1987X and SLP 1959?

Well what's the goal of the virtual mods?

Budda its that this sounds good but could it be better thing - plus just wanting as good reference point on what others do so I can have some fun tweaking my current presets

I adjust the input eq to get a result that’s similar to the tip that Cliff gave, long ago in his Cliff Notes. He suggested to place a PEQ before the amp to bump a narrow - Q range of midrange frequency. With the AxeFx3 I don’t use the PEQ, I use the input EQ. It brings the guitar to life, IMO. And I change the freq range depending on the guitar, or rather the pickups. I was just recently making a Marshall preset from scratch and did not do this. When comparing to my ‘main’ preset it was pretty dull and it took me a a minute or two to realize that was the biggest factor.

I also will nudge the input trim a tad. I’m always looking to see how I can get the most gain with guitar on 10 but also clean up with volume knob. To me that’s a must. It’s the reason I don’t get along with the Friedmans. I can’t get them to clean up. (I know…that what my clean scene is for!)

I know this is the Brit Super (not a Plexi) but the results are similar for me. The sound jumps out a bit more to my ears. I typically only do this for the Marshalls.

1623238288987.png

Last edited:
I used to make all kinds of "deeper" adjustments in the amp block, but now that 16.02 is out I haven't touched anything, but authentic controls.
Don't feel like you need to adjust something, however if you do have a specific goal in mind say brighter, tighter etc... we can probably point you in the right direction.

I used to make all kinds of "deeper" adjustments in the amp block, but now that 16.02 is out I haven't touched anything, but authentic controls.
Don't feel like you need to adjust something, however if you do have a specific goal in mind say brighter, tighter etc... we can probably point you in the right direction.
There really isn’t anything specific or part of a sound that I feel I am missing just looking for some insight so I can experiment.
Just looking for examples like what they others have posted above

The basic one for me is turning up drive, turning down input trim to compensate if needed, so those frequently huge bright caps don't rip my face off with my strat. :)

Messing with the input trim is really significant for me, too. It can vary depending on the guitar
I am playing and the output level of the pickups in it, so I compensate accoordingly.

I also like to lower the Master on Marshalls and introduce a little more headroom. I find it makes
the Amp Models more responsive like an actual Marshall amp.

Having messed with almost all the advanced parameters for my Plexi tone, I would say speaker impedance curve, transformer match and Negative Feedback are the three with the biggest impact.

(Of course, all the various speaker compression settings are huge too, but I consider those to be standard, not advanced tweaking.)

Coincidentally I just lost all of this evening to the Screaming Plexi 3 preset and my '92 LP Studio. I've been going through the new banks doing some warm up jamming before going to my usual high gain stuff but tonight got utterly stuck on this one, channeling some mid to late era Zeppelin live vibes. I'm gonna have to do some homework and compare the preset to the default amp settings as I have no idea about dialling in this amp and which of the suggestions posted above might already be implemented in it (the preset). I also remembered that a guitar's volume knob isn't just for turning it 'off' ! Also I never got myself dinner. I bet Mr Page never missed a meal. In the mid 70's he always looked the picture of health.

I also remembered that a guitar's volume knob isn't just for turning it 'off' ! Also I never got myself dinner. I bet Mr Page never missed a meal. In the mid 70's he always looked the picture of health.
:tearsofjoy: I'll take that bet. It was the 70's ......man. And he was into his 'dark arts' or whatever, so if he missed that meal, I'm sure there was plenty of blood on hand to drink from his golden chalice, with his tele in the other hand.

This may sound very simple, but go into the EQ tab and cut some mids out. I find that once you cut a little of the lower mids the Plexis are much easier to dial in (no that they are hard to begin with). just -2 to -3 really clears things up for me and lets me focus on getting a good tone.

This may sound very simple, but go into the EQ tab and cut some mids out. I find that once you cut a little of the lower mids the Plexis are much easier to dial in (no that they are hard to begin with). just -2 to -3 really clears things up for me and lets me focus on getting a good tone.
Pre or post?

Just putting a 8db clean boost on will
Phatten up most Marshalls and make them juicy good. It helps to cut off in Input EQ stuff under 100Hz. If the brite cap is an issue, remember the more power amp gain, the darker the amp gets.
Another trick is the brite cap is making the amp too harsh/shrill is to go to the amp's Graphic EQ page and pull the 4kHz slider down -2db to -4db (to taste) - that can really smooth the tone out for some raspier sounding Maarshall amps like the JCM I've found....

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't you dare suggest anyone cut them mids on a Marshall! It's like castrating a prized Bull before trying to breed
some good stock. ;)

Back
Top Bottom