Marshall 4x12 1960AV Cab IR

T

TheElaborateDream

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I use the real Marshall 4x12 1960av cab for live use. I am looking for this IR in the Axe and I am not sure if it is actually an IR in the Axe. The cabinet list for Marshall list G12-75s, G12M, G12H's. I do not see a G12-70w or G12V.

Is this available in the Axe or is there a 3rd party you would recommend?

Marshall G-12 Vintage speakers - rated at 70 watts

I thought Celestion G12 Vintage are V30 speakers? But I am no expert in speakers.
Anyway, I took some IRs of my Marshall 1960AV with its stock speakers:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/marshall-1960av-irs-celestion-v30-v-type-speakers.167434/
For me that is a good representation of that cab (miked with a SM57), but of course that is a question of taste.
Yes, I believe it's Marshalls brand. I can tell a difference between G12 and V30's though. I really love that Cab.

Thank you for the IR. I will give this a try tonight.

Ok. So set me straight. Are those Marshall's
version of a Celestion V30? I had both those cabs and I could have sworn they were real Celestion V30's in both. I checked the Marshall link and it shows something different. They change the specs since I owned my cabs?

version of a Celestion V30? I had both those cabs and I could have sworn they were real Celestion V30's in both. I checked the Marshall link and it shows something different. They change the specs since I owned my cabs?
Here is a good video.

Regular V30 (1:41 - 1:54)
Marshall Vintage (1:55 - end)

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a few different V30s:
T3903 Standard 8 ohm
T3904 Standard 16 ohm
T3987 Marshall OEM 16 ohm
T4416 Mesa OEM 16 ohm
T4335 Mesa OEM 8 ohm

I think Marshall G12 Vintage was first. The Mesa version is apparently what the V30s use to be before they changed, and Mesa insisted on receiving the original V30.

I'll have to take your word for it as YouTube
video sound is nothing like it right in front of you. It's been a long time for me with tube amps and cabs. Sold all mine off when I got into Fractal. Never been sorry I did.

There are a few different V30s:
T3903 Standard 8 ohm
T3904 Standard 16 ohm
T3987 Marshall OEM 16 ohm
T4416 Mesa OEM 16 ohm
T4335 Mesa OEM 8 ohm

I think Marshall G12 Vintage was first. The Mesa version is apparently what the V30s use to be before they changed, and Mesa insisted on receiving the original V30.
Long story, but you're correct. The original Marshall Vintage and the Celestion V30 were released at the same time. In the early 90s, the V30 changed (and the Marshall Vintage too). Mesa wanted the original V30, so they got it as OEM.

Then, they all changed again when production moved to China in the early 2000s. There's a lot more to this story, but that's the short of it. Not counting the different ohm versions, I know of at least 10 different speakers in the V30 family.

Back
Top Bottom