Marshall 1974X

simeon

Axe-Master
it's a little 18w EL84 amp with ECC83's in it and a G12M-20 speaker

listen here -

i really dig this bluesy tone, so i've been messing around trying to get something similar. i think i'm getting close...

JM45 amp - switch the tubes accordingly and leave everything on 5 except the master vol (on 10)
turn fat on and bright on

add the 808 drive with drive, tone and level on 6

use cab #F36 and put two into a stereo block. add a 57 to one and an R121 to the other
add some room in the cab and i've set the preamp in the cab to tape 50, with drive and sat on 2
add some speaker drive as well

this sounds pretty groovy to me with my les paul (remember, i have my axe input set to stereo)

but i'm wondering if there are any other tweaks i should be doing to the amp block to mimic the 1974X. should i be messing with negative feedback, or the tonestack etc? the tone on the video is a bit more midrange honky than i'm getting....

Clifford? :)

I had issues with the Blankenship Lead to be too fuzzy, and it turned out, that dynamic presence was set quite high. Resetting the amp got rid of that. It was an old preset though...

Interesting. Using Simeon's initial setup with the Brit JMP45 and cabs in a stereo block I get a tone that's on the fuzzy side as well. Turning bias excursion down helps somewhat, but there's still some fuzz on the top. High cut in the cab block around 7300 and 12 db/octave helps further. Guitar is a custom built Carvin CS24 with Carvin vintage humbuckers in it so that's probably not helping. Nice mid-gain bluesy tone though.

Turn down Bias Excursion. 18W Marshalls are kind of a bad design. The phase inverter drives the power tubes too hard which results in excessive bias excursion.

yeah, that did the trick. i put it at 50%, which is the same as the JM45. i also set cathode resistance to 0% (same as the JM45) and that helped a lot as well. i also had to turn bright on and raise the bright cap to 100. so now it's got that slightly "honky" midrange without the fuzzyness. nice!

Simeon, i did this patch that is basically a clone of my real amp, its made for Les Pauls with PAFs, from the video you posted i think i can get it to sound pretty much close with some stereo field setup tweaking.

it's a little 18w EL84 amp with ECC83's in it and a G12M-20 speaker

listen here -

i really dig this bluesy tone, so i've been messing around trying to get something similar. i think i'm getting close...

JM45 amp - switch the tubes accordingly and leave everything on 5 except the master vol (on 10)
turn fat on and bright on

add the 808 drive with drive, tone and level on 6

use cab #F36 and put two into a stereo block. add a 57 to one and an R121 to the other
add some room in the cab and i've set the preamp in the cab to tape 50, with drive and sat on 2
add some speaker drive as well

this sounds pretty groovy to me with my les paul (remember, i have my axe input set to stereo)

but i'm wondering if there are any other tweaks i should be doing to the amp block to mimic the 1974X. should i be messing with negative feedback, or the tonestack etc? the tone on the video is a bit more midrange honky than i'm getting....

Clifford? :)

I got a 1974 clone proto from Atomic I friggin' love.

Turn down Bias Excursion. 18W Marshalls are kind of a bad design. The phase inverter drives the power tubes too hard which results in excessive bias excursion.
I'm sure this is the wrong place for it and all, but how can I fix this effect on a real 1974x? I built one a while back.

Back
Top Bottom