Marshall 1922 cab has Celestion G12T-75 speakers

Veloso1978

Inspired
Hi everyone.
I would like an opinion about 1 issue.
Anyone tell me what speakers are best to change in my cab Marshall 1922.
I’ve got a long time and think I have to change for better speakers.
My Axe fx needs better speackers.... Lol
I accept any suggestions.
By the way now the cab have the tradicional Marshall CelestionG12T-75 speackers. Works in stereo to.
Cheers.

Unless they are damaged is some way saying they are too old just doesn't make sense. There are plenty of speakers out there older that which are just fine. I believe you either just do not like the tone of the G12T-75 or are searching for a reason to buy a new speaker/cab. I personally don't like the tone of the G12T-75, but that's me. I can suggest plenty of different Celestion speakers to try, but you may not like them either. Tone is a personal thing. As mentioned above, I'd like to hear what specifically you don't like about it. I wouldn't worry if its just old.

Hi everyone.
I would like an opinion about 1 issue.
Anyone tell me what speakers are best to change in my cab Marshall 1922.
I’ve got a long time and think I have to change for better speakers.
My Axe fx needs better speackers.... Lol
I accept any suggestions.
By the way now the cab have the tradicional Marshall CelestionG12T-75 speackers. Works in stereo to.
Cheers.
If you find the G12T-75’s too “spikey” on the top like I do, you might want to audition a Creamback 75. Same power handling as your stock 75’s. These were recommended to me by a Celestion employee who lives locally near me after he noticed me burning through various new Celestions and them selling them via Craigslist. He reached out and asked me what I was looking for. He recommended I try that speaker based on our back and forth. I bought one tried it out and have never looked back. I now have 10 of them in various cabinets. I love their low end and smooth yet articulate harmonics on the high end. For me they just sing...

It may not be what you are looking for but I think they are certainly worth a listen. Good luck.

If you wanna change them because you don't like the sound, I get it but how do you define a speak as "too old"?

Does this current thread have anything to do with your other recent thread?
I just buy that cab in second hand and I have a feeling that speackers have anything... The sound sometimes break a litlle bit.., sound strange but I have one with other speackers and it’s to different the sound. I have a orange PPC410 and the sound changes a lot.thats why i think I must change with maybe 30 vintage ou others . Must try other speackers to my taste.

The G12T-75 generally gets a bad rap but they're perfectly good speakers when used the right way (see below for my take on them).

I'm running a V30/T75 combo in my mesa 212 that I really like so it may be worth trying to swap one speaker at a time.

The G12T-75 generally gets a bad rap but they're perfectly good speakers when used the right way (see below for my take on them).

I'm running a V30/T75 combo in my mesa 212 that I really like so it may be worth trying to swap one speaker at a time.

I Leon Thanks a lot by the help. I see a lot your tutorials and are amazing. I Big help for Rookies like me... certainly you give me a big help but the issue are how I take a good sound in my Marshall cab with the Matrix and the Axe fx 2 plus .Once again Nice to meet you and greetings from Portugal.

Last edited:
The old Marshall 100W amps were really about 80W and the cabinets had 4x 20W 12" speakers. The early 100W cabinets (with the 100W label) had 4x 25W 12" speakers. So are you running 300W through your cabinet? Of course back then the amps did not have master volumes, so tone was really dependent on how loud you were playing. I started my Marshall days with a 35W 4x 10" combo and thought it would improve things if I put 35W speakers in it. When I eventually traded it for a 50W head and 4x 12" cab, my friend complained that the speakers were not the right match. I still had the originals, so I made him very happy and he changed back to the original speakers. I think they were 10W 10". Just something to consider. I don't think the model matters as much as the power match.

The old Marshall 100W amps were really about 80W and the cabinets had 4x 20W 12" speakers. The early 100W cabinets (with the 100W label) had 4x 25W 12" speakers. So are you running 300W through your cabinet? Of course back then the amps did not have master volumes, so tone was really dependent on how loud you were playing. I started my Marshall days with a 35W 4x 10" combo and thought it would improve things if I put 35W speakers in it. When I eventually traded it for a 50W head and 4x 12" cab, my friend complained that the speakers were not the right match. I still had the originals, so I made him very happy and he changed back to the original speakers. I think they were 10W 10". Just something to consider. I don't think the model matters as much as the power match.
More likely he liked the frequency response of those speakers better, or the speakers you put in were a poor impedance match.

Matching the power rating of the speaker to the output level of the amp probably has little impact on the sound, if any.

More likely he liked the frequency response of those speakers better, or the speakers you put in were a poor impedance match.

Matching the power rating of the speaker to the output level of the amp probably has little impact on the sound, if any.
Generally if you wire 4 x 16 ohm speakers in series/parallel you have a 16 ohm load. I've been putzing around with amps since the '60s. I have an electronics degree. The impedance was not the issue. I think it was sensitivity and cone excursion. The higher power speakers did not reach their maximum excursion and that affected the tonality. Another recording engineer suggested that part of Marshall's sound was saturation in the output transformer core. I haven't tested this, but that would also be a factor. Amp distortion is not limited to just the front end.

Generally if you wire 4 x 16 ohm speakers in series/parallel you have a 16 ohm load. I've been putzing around with amps since the '60s. I have an electronics degree
I also have a (long unused) degree in electronics ;)

And, yes, typical 16ohm 4x12 wiring would be (16 // 16 == 8) + (16 // 16 == 8) == 16.

I'm a pretty big fan of Avatar legend series, specifically the V12. I don't think I've owned an "actual" V12, but I've had a few from Avatar which are "closely based on the V12" and also from Vader.

They're generally regarded as similar to a v30 but smoother without that big mid spike. And they're 120w rated, so if speaker breakup isn't something you like then they're great for power handling.

Back
Top Bottom