Marsh-UK Multi-Cabinet Collection - OwnHammer

Hi All,

First of all my compliments to Kevin for an amazing pack of IR's that sound absolutely killer.

I have been using the Axe-O-Matic tool from the OH website to convert the Marsh MMC IR .wav's to .syx, then importing using Fractal Bot into my Axe FX II Mark I. Other than this process being a bit long winded, it does mean that I don't have to fork out an additional $50 for the Fractal Cab-Lab standalone software.

I do understand that the main functions of standalone Cab Lab enables me to mix my own IRs, import them into my AFX as well as importing the .wav files from OH. But does Cab Lab bring any other benefits such as quicker conversion workflow, and/or superior conversion quality from .wav to .syx compared to A-O-M (not that I can hear any degradation currently)?

Without Cab Lab you're also missing out on the benefit of batch conversion but more importantly the Ultra Res IR format from the wav. file.

ok, I give it a shot before it gets buried...

cabs and speakers:
assuming this is a general question it's a bit difficult to answer. I usually try to somewhat match an amp to the cab that you'd most likely use in real life. that can be from the smallest Fender to a high gain Diezel. the latest MCC is mostly paired here with amps that would use some sort of "Marshall" type cab. it wouldn't be my first choice to run a Tweed Deluxe through them (eventhough I've had some nice results with that as well).
maybe the next MCC could focus on "Fender" type cabs. that could be a nice addition to the product range.

speakers:
same as above. depends on the amp used and the sound I'm after. if the question is specific to the latest MCC library, I'd go with the BBs, V30 and Lynch. mixing speakers is something I sometimes even prefer over mixing mics.

quick start or mics:
I go for the variable mics. however, for users who are not super experienced or simply overwhelmed by choices I certainly see the need for a quick start folder.

mix types:
not really my first thing to go to. I do my own mixes, so again, priority for me is on the separate mics, but for the same reason as mentioned above, I certainly see the usefulness in having ready to go mixes.

application:
currently mostly studio recording.

I musst admitt that I#m not any good in mixing ir's - like I have have CabPack 14 and don't use it, as I don't like what I'm mixing - so therefore I would definitly use mostly only ready mixed ir's. They sound great for me and it is also to much for me to do those mixes. It's like I'm doing something where I have no idea what I'm doing....

Hi All,

First of all my compliments to Kevin for an amazing pack of IR's that sound absolutely killer.

I have been using the Axe-O-Matic tool from the OH website to convert the Marsh MMC IR .wav's to .syx, then importing using Fractal Bot into my Axe FX II Mark I. Other than this process being a bit long winded, it does mean that I don't have to fork out an additional $50 for the Fractal Cab-Lab standalone software.

I do understand that the main functions of standalone Cab Lab enables me to mix my own IRs, import them into my AFX as well as importing the .wav files from OH. But does Cab Lab bring any other benefits such as quicker conversion workflow, and/or superior conversion quality from .wav to .syx compared to A-O-M (not that I can hear any degradation currently)?

For me I can't justify spending time mixing multiple IRs in Cablab. I bought it pretty much for it's conversion capabilites.
For me, the time spent mixing IRs doesn't give me anything that sounds any better than what I started with originally.
If I don't like an IR, on to anoher one.

Without Cab Lab you're also missing out on the benefit of batch conversion but more importantly the Ultra Res IR format from the wav. file.

Your avatar kinda bugs me ! :) :) seriously thought I had a gnat in my computer screen :)

Noted. Thanks ;)

It is a shame Fractal Audio don't offer a trial version of Cab Lab. I'd like to run an A/B between a .syx from AOM and Ultra Res .syx from Cab Lab to see if I can hear a noticeable difference.

for those that don't feel like you benefit from mixing IR's, I think you should stick with it a bit more. Sometimes you may not get anything better than other mixes, but other times you dial certain things in or out that you wouldn't be able to otherwise...just having that ability is worth having CabLab. Not to mention the ease of auditioning multiple ir's, batch conversion/transfer, ultra res, etc. it's really a small price to pay for the functionality you get.

I bought this and the new Justin York pack a couple of days ago... I have just tried one of the Mesa IR's. Just picked one to see..... Well.....

I have to say: GREAT !!!

It sounds like the Mesa 4x12 cab i know from real life... Stunning work Kevin.

Back
Top Bottom