Mars Shells (I & II) - En route to Gibson/Epiphone demos - Free Preset/Vid

Burgs

Power User
Gibson (Epiphone) enlisted me to demo four of their new Epiphone 'Inspired by Gibson' range. So I figured Marshalls would be the best platform. That gave me cause to write this preset which I now share with you. The Epiphone demos have not gone live yet but here's a taster (second vid below) if you're interested*. **

*Epiphone want to hold that video for the next three weeks so I've had to pull it down for a bit. Sorry!

Preset: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=7740

** I've since tweaked this preset and added several multi-functioning blocks. Details in in this download link. Video will follow shortly with a bit of luck. http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=7999

Preset Demo Video:

Strat version (as of 19 March 2020)

Preset link:
http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=7784

Video demo:

Last edited:
Burgs, this really is a great spin through the Marshalls, and great job on the Promo video, also great.
We are extremly fortunate to have you in this community. I am off to load this preset to my FM3 now !

Thank you for the preset gift !!!

Thank you as always !
My pleasure. Plenty more to come.
Great stuff Burgs! That LP sounds great. Going to check one out!
Yeah, pretty good value for money, those little LP's.
Burgs, this really is a great spin through the Marshalls, and great job on the Promo video, also great.
We are extremely fortunate to have you in this community. I am off to load this preset to my FM3 now !
Thank you for the preset gift !!!
No problemo. I'm not sure it will load so well into the FM3, though as I've got two amp blocks working pretty hard here. I'll redo it for the FM3 soon.
Damn, sir!
🤙🏼
Really great stuff, every scene is an inspiration. Thank you Burgs!
Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'm glad you're digging my dials. Main thanks to Cliff. If it wasn't for Cliff...

I just stopped playing this preset with a Strat for about and hour and a half (just on the first three scenes). I often find time just passes by when playing @Burgs presets. With a little tone knob adjustment on my guitar here and there, or sometimes the input gain of the amp, I can get nice tones out of all 5 Strat switch positions. He's a magician with that black box.

I just stopped playing this preset with a Strat for about and hour and a half (just on the first three scenes). I often find time just passes by when playing @Burgs presets. With a little tone knob adjustment on my guitar here and there, or sometimes the input gain of the amp, I can get nice tones out of all 5 Strat switch positions. He's a magician with that black box.
Did you play mainly with input trim to adapt the preset to single coils?

In short, sometimes. I have Fishman Fluence on the Start I was referring to. Single coils can sound harsh for my taste, so input trim would be one of the things I would try. I also cut back on the volume and tone pots on the guitar. I ended up liking 0.3 for the amp in Scene 1 (1959 SLP Jump). That might not be the tone some people expect from that amp. Scene 2 (JTM45) was fine leaving it at 1.0. It took me a long time (too long) to just turn the knobs and use my ears. A lot of forum members share their thoughts on fine tuning a lot of parameters in this box. Honestly, my hearing is not as good as theirs, but I know what I like when I hear it.

Cool. I super dug this preset when Burgs played it, but it was very different with my strat (well also me instead of Burgs :) ). Unsurprisingly it's way less gainy, topping out at not very driven, basically just the first scene had much push to it.

But I super dug it in any case :) Will definitely look into variations, upping input trim, adding drives.

Nice stuff.

Anybody tried using these with a single coil guitar (strat), or adapting them for that?
I'll revisit this one with my Eric Johnson Strat later today or tomorrow and put up the results. There are many Strat pickup variations but I figure the EJ has a set that might be a good average. Cheers.

I'll revisit this one with my Eric Johnson Strat later today or tomorrow and put up the results. There are many Strat pickup variations but I figure the EJ has a set that might be a good average. Cheers.
Mine's an EJ, so I'm good with this plan :)

I'm a bit behind on the Strat version, guys. Hopefully tomorrow. Damn virus thing has caused a few hiccups here as I know it has just about everywhere else. Stay with me.

Back
Top Bottom