Mark V:25 vs AX8

sgb1

Just sold my Mark V:25 yesterday on Craigslist w/o doing a Mark IIC+ tone test with my AX8. I new the tone was in there but I was scared none the less. Set up a simple patch today with the IIC+ and cab only. Sounded like ass! Plugged in Cliff's IIC+ settings and it sounded EXACTLY like the amp I just sold! Only BETTER! NO NOISE! My God! What an incredible piece of gear!!!

Yea a friend of mine sent me those settings. They are indeed awesome. I've never messed with a real mesa though so I can't compare it

That's all I got. Traveling right now so I can't send a preset. I honestly haven't even saved one for it yet. No idea what cab cliff used. I think I used a factor recto 412 with 57, it's one of the ultra res closer to the end of the list.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 184
Just sold my Mark V:25 yesterday on Craigslist w/o doing a Mark IIC+ tone test with my AX8. I new the tone was in there but I was scared none the less. Set up a simple patch today with the IIC+ and cab only. Sounded like ass! Plugged in Cliff's IIC+ settings and it sounded EXACTLY like the amp I just sold! Only BETTER! NO NOISE! My God! What an incredible piece of gear!!!

I couldn't agree more with your thoughts on Cliffs settings. I use them as is all the time paired with a USA Trad SM57-MD421 IR from Cab Pack 7 (amazing Cab Pack, do yourself a favor and get it). Dream Tone! Turn up the drive to 10, or turn down the drive to 7 or so and put a TS808 in front with drive at 0 and level at 10, and it turns into the best lead tone as well.

Cliffs settings should be the go to start point (and likely end point!) for anyone tweaking this amp. In fact, they should be the default settings when the amp is loaded!

I just sold my V:25 last week. No need for it anymore. I have all those Boogie tones and more in the AX8. Plus I can switch through them all as needed. So many tonal options on that amp but you could really only have two at a time which frustrated me.

I had a Mark 5:25 head a while back and it was probably the most versatile and impressive tube amp I've ever owned. That being said, now that I have the AX8...no regrets at all in selling it.

What Fractal has given guitarists is truly awe-inspiring. Recently I've owned a Mesa Mark 5:25, Friedman BE100 and a Fender Super Sonic 22. All great amps in their own right but my AX8 easily replaced all of them and is far more versatile. Consider me converted.

I had a Mark 5:25 head a while back and it was probably the most versatile and impressive tube amp I've ever owned. That being said, now that I have the AX8...no regrets at all in selling it.

What Fractal has given guitarists is truly awe-inspiring. Recently I've owned a Mesa Mark 5:25, Friedman BE100 and a Fender Super Sonic 22. All great amps in their own right but my AX8 easily replaced all of them and is far more versatile. Consider me converted.

My first post as I await my AX8, which is on it's way. I recently sold my Mark Five 25, and bought a Suhr Badger 35, which to date, for me, has been the most inspiring amp I've every owned, and I've owned a lot of them.

I hope I'm as converted to the AXFX line as so many of you are, but I wouldn't be truthful if I said I'm not suspicious. I read all the hype about the Kemper as well, tried one last week, not impressed in the slightest. I hope the hype around this product is what everyone seems to say it is.

My first post as I await my AX8, which is on it's way. I recently sold my Mark Five 25, and bought a Suhr Badger 35, which to date, for me, has been the most inspiring amp I've every owned, and I've owned a lot of them.

I hope I'm as converted to the AXFX line as so many of you are, but I wouldn't be truthful if I said I'm not suspicious. I read all the hype about the Kemper as well, tried one last week, not impressed in the slightest. I hope the hype around this product is what everyone seems to say it is.

Not impressed by the Kemper? Wow! How were you montoring? I'll admit many of the factory profiles of the Kemper aren't it's strength and if you bypassed cabs and ran into an amp return on profiles not made to do so I can very much imagine being disappointed (granted I had an earlier firmware). I did the profiling A/B test when I had it and it is extremely accurate. The AX8 is much more authentic in terms of modeling the actual circuitry of specific amps, but tonally (hope this isn't sacrilege here) they are contemporaries.

Not impressed by the Kemper? Wow! How were you montoring? I'll admit many of the factory profiles of the Kemper aren't it's strength and if you bypassed cabs and ran into an amp return on profiles not made to do so I can very much imagine being disappointed (granted I had an earlier firmware). I did the profiling A/B test when I had it and it is extremely accurate. The AX8 is much more authentic in terms of modeling the actual circuitry of specific amps, but tonally (hope this isn't sacrilege here) they are contemporaries.

That is exactly how I tested it. I kept trying to explain to the shop owner that it should rather be monitored through a full range speaker or cab/emulations bypassed which was the only way my 11Rack would sound good.

He looked at me like I had three heads, and gave me (you must be a rookie idiot) roll the eyes kind of thing.

That is exactly how I tested it. I kept trying to explain to the shop owner that it should rather be monitored through a full range speaker or cab/emulations bypassed which was the only way my 11Rack would sound good.

He looked at me like I had three heads, and gave me (you must be a rookie idiot) roll the eyes kind of thing.

Ah. Don't want to get too much into Kemper talk here, but the way it's designed for the typical profile you need to run it into an full range monitor. For the best results into a guitar cab, a profile would need to be made without a cab (though I believe they've made some strides in later firmwares). The AX8 is much more forgiving/versatile in that regard in terms of bypassing the cab (and depending on the scenario the power amp modeling) and running the same presets into a traditional cab. There are some aspects of the Kemper I hope the AX8 can adopt, and conversely there are some aspects of the AX8 which if the Kemper had I might still have it today.

That's all I got. Traveling right now so I can't send a preset. I honestly haven't even saved one for it yet. No idea what cab cliff used. I think I used a factor recto 412 with 57, it's one of the ultra res closer to the end of the list.

Cool ! :)

I guess that the speaker resonance parameters are modeled efter a EVM or something ?
I usually try to make them more like a on the marhsall models. Since I usually prefere the sound of celestion equipped cabs. I actually makes a big difference in the sound of a preset.

Back
Top Bottom