Mark Morton's exact Mesa Mark IV settings

Nice. Did you use these on the track you recorded recently? That sounded fantastic.
I used "usa lead brt+" model for that cover but the settings were pretty close except I was not sure about pull fat/pull bright/pull shift. so I decided to ask Mark Morton. after this information I tested the "usa lead" model. it's pretty close to Sacrament's tone but the thing is the "Gain" in this model is not enough and I had to increase the input trim or turn on boost button. I use an Ibanez prestige guitar with the exact pickups they used on sacrament album. they don't use any boost pedals. if they could get that amount of gain with these settings I think the "usa lead" model lacks gain. I never owned a mesa mark IV so I can't be sure about this. and I noticed playing in "usa lead" is very difficult, I usally play very hard but this model takes my breath away! I have to play even harder! but I can get pretty close even with "brt+" model which playing guitar is like skiing on butter :)) I like to know your comment on "usa lead" model, Leon :)

With both input drive and overdrive (lead gain and drive) at 8 it has plenty of gain for me. It feels like a Brit800 #34 with an American sound.

I used "usa lead brt+" model for that cover but the settings were pretty close except I was not sure about pull fat/pull bright/pull shift. so I decided to ask Mark Morton. after this information I tested the "usa lead" model. it's pretty close to Sacrament's tone but the thing is the "Gain" in this model is not enough and I had to increase the input trim or turn on boost button. I use an Ibanez prestige guitar with the exact pickups they used on sacrament album. they don't use any boost pedals. if they could get that amount of gain with these settings I think the "usa lead" model lacks gain. I never owned a mesa mark IV so I can't be sure about this. and I noticed playing in "usa lead" is very difficult, I usally play very hard but this model takes my breath away! I have to play even harder! but I can get pretty close even with "brt+" model which playing guitar is like skiing on butter :)) I like to know your comment on "usa lead" model, Leon :)

I like the + mode too; for playing live I'd go with the USA Lead + but for lower volumes the Bright mode is nice too. Still hasn't bumped the C++ as my main live preset but I might have to give it a go soon.

Bumping this thread since I made a Morton patch based on other settings of him. It's from the rig rundown video, at 11:43.

The GEQ is quite a bit different even though the shape is the same. X/Y amps have the same settings except for the speaker page, X is the lead, pull shift, Y the lead+, no pull shift. The real fun starts with the lead+. The trick to make it sound good is to set the speaker page correctly. Defaults settings sound small and harsh.

On a side note, when copying mark settings, it's important to remember that the II and IV have knobs that go from 0 to 10, not 1 to 10, so for example 7 = 6.36. Also, the GEQ bands can exceed the white lines, they go up to halfway between the lines and the edge.

Attachments

• Morton Live IV.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 120
Bumping this thread since I made a Morton patch based on other settings of him. It's from the rig rundown video, at 11:43.

The GEQ is quite a bit different even though the shape is the same. X/Y amps have the same settings except for the speaker page, X is the lead, pull shift, Y the lead+, no pull shift. The real fun starts with the lead+. The trick to make it sound good is to set the speaker page correctly. Defaults settings sound small and harsh.

On a side note, when copying mark settings, it's important to remember that the II and IV have knobs that go from 0 to 10, not 1 to 10, so for example 7 = 6.36. Also, the GEQ bands can exceed the white lines, they go up to halfway between the lines and the edge.

I'll check your patch :) usually live tones are different from studio tones. in that rig rundown you see at least 4 amps with slightly different settings :)) yeah you're right speaker settings especially low resonance frequency make a huge difference

Back
Top Bottom