Mark IIC+ classic lead tone?

Wildwind

Experienced
I really want to tap into this vibe, but dialing up Boogies without a sherpa can be tough.

Can anyone give me a great starting point? Assume Strat, new OH Vintage IR package, use of 5-band Mark EQ, FW 11.03 - and whatever "underlying" settings help release the best. Looking for rock, not metal. Thanks!

I did look on Axe-Change - not much there for FW11.

I did run into Sean Ashe's patch and downloaded it. That helped a bunch. But I'm still open to suggestions and opinions.

Pre eq is for feel for the gain stage. 5 band will smooth things out after. Try this:

Input Drive - anywhere from 6-8
Bass about 2-3 (keep it low to prevent flub)
Mid 3-5
Treble 6-8 (this and mid react GREATLY with the gain)
OD - use 8 as a starting point

You can use the 5 band geq in a classic V for the metal stuff but use it sparingly (if at all) for the more rock-ish tones. Of course these are just suggestions and you can dial everything in to taste depending on your fingers, pickups, gtr, monitoring system etc...

Also look for some of the Petrucci rig demos, they're a great starting point for dailing in boogies.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Are you familiar with the way the Mark-series work? If not: The tone knobs (bass, mid, treble) act like gain knobs because the tone stack is located before the preamp. Therefore, use the BMT-knobs to get the appropriate "feel" and use the EQ and IRs (very important!) for tone shaping. Also read the manual of the original amp, that can be helpful.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/user_manuals.html#gpm1_2

I had a IIC+ many years ago and loved it, but don't remember how I ran it now. My current Mesa (F30) does not have a graphic - but that can also be a bear to dial in, best to use the manual settings and make small changes from there. Then it sounds awesome.

Great idea on the manual download - I will do that. Shoulda thought of that myself.

IR suggestions? I have the new OH Vintage IRs but not the Modern - which is where the EV12L resides. I understand the JBL D120 is close in sound (that's what I was told anyway). But if there's a better combination, I'll try it.

I dialed in a real nice IIC bright patch today using one of the OH Modern Mix IRs and the stock cali 4X12 with an R121 in front of it
but you could swap the OH modern with the stock oH Recto cab and get very close.
those settings tguitar posted above will get you very close.
I'd keep the presence and the depth down and use the amp 5 band EQ to 'refine the sound your after.
also punch up the "thump'to 1.5-2.0 to get a little more "kick"
the Eternal Love drive pedal works great in front of the "Mark" series model if you want to slam the front for some singing sustain.

Back
Top Bottom