Mark Holcomb Gain Staging

Wondering if he is running a gate at the end of the chain. At any rate thats is some extreme gate clamp down.

Check out Mark's awesome tone in this video! ;) That tone really brings back memories... :eek:
That's amazing (ly horrible, but definitely brings back memories! I'm so proud that I hated the Metal Zone when I was a teenager. All my guitar player friends of same age wanted to convince me how GREEEEEAAAAT it is, but no way, I worked, saved me some money and bought a Dual Rectifier :imp:)

Wondering if he is running a gate at the end of the chain. At any rate thats is some extreme gate clamp down.

He's probably using the gate block at the end of the signal chain with it side chained to the input. Using the gate block side chained to the input is the best way to get a tight gate because it's threshold is adjusting to the dry guitar sound but because it's at the end of the signal chain, it shuts down the sound of everything before it and isn't affected by amp noise.

He's probably using the gate block at the end of the signal chain with it side chained to the input. Using the gate block side chained to the input is the best way to get a tight gate because it's threshold is adjusting to the dry guitar sound but because it's at the end of the signal chain, it shuts down the sound of everything before it and isn't affected by amp noise.

Gates after the amp and drive blocks feel better to me too. I always feel like gates (and lots of compressors) screw up the attack in a way I don't like.

That's amazing (ly horrible, but definitely brings back memories! I'm so proud that I hated the Metal Zone when I was a teenager. All my guitar player friends of same age wanted to convince me how GREEEEEAAAAT it is, but no way, I worked, saved me some money and bought a Dual Rectifier :imp:)

I used to use a Marshall Shred Master into some cheap small Crate or Peavey combo amp but I remember people using the Gorilla amp and Metal Zone with everything turned up all the way and ridiculous microphonic feedback between every note haha.

Back
Top Bottom