Mark 2 fan noise

Noctua makes nice and quiet 80mm fans with rubber mounts, which I used on my mk1.

I don't care if it violated the warranty since it was very loud and rattled. The lid is another vibration source which I damped with some very thin weather stripping tape.

I didn't know my 2 AXE FXIII units had a fan until someone complained about noise. They are both dead quiet. My MKII will be here shortly so I will hear if there is a difference.

Strange that there are so many people reporting noisy fans while there are others that say it's dead quiet. How can this be?
I remember that I had a noisy fan in my Axe fx II Mk1 in the days. This was a common issue for most Axe fx II Mk1's. G66 replaced the fan for a quiet one back then. I am suprised that this is still an issue in the Axe fx III for some.

Last edited:
Strange that there are so many people reporting noisy fans while there are others that say it's dead quiet. How can this be?
I remember that I had a noisy fan in my Axe fx II Mk1 in the days. This was a common issue for all mk1's. G66 replaced the fan for a quiet one back then. I am suprised that this is still an issue in the Axe fx III for some.

I'd like to hear a clip of a quiet one, then I could go back to G66 and ask for a replacement (I only got my unit a month ago). Can anyone with a quiet fan post a video similar to the one I did so I can make a comparison?

I read people on here often about loud fan's but yet have not seen a sample video of a loud fan. Can some one upload a sample of their loud fan for people to hear please?

I remember that I had a noisy fan in my Axe fx II Mk1 in the days. This was a common issue for most Axe fx II Mk1's. G66 replaced the fan for a quiet one back then. I am suprised that this is still an issue in the Axe fx III for some.
Some people here might also be a bit deaf :D

Also, the environment you're listening in has a big impact.

And why is it that I never hear a clock in the room ticking until I try to sleep and then it's like it's plugged into an speaker?

Got to give a benefit of the doubt , there may be defective fans out there bur a sample of the noise would help people understand what's going on.

sorry I don't hear the fan on my end. maybe need better recording.
reply #62 is a good recording. Turn your volume up and you can really hear it fire up. Has sort of a bad bearing sound. Could be bushings or fan too tight. Many complained about loud fans, throughout the years and models. Some have opened up the unit and slightly loosened the screws and the fan got quiet. Others have replaced them.
I'm 5 for 5 for quiet fans.

Some people here might also be a bit deaf :D

Also, the environment you're listening in has a big impact.

And why is it that I never hear a clock in the room ticking until I try to sleep and then it's like it's plugged into an speaker?

But that’s like saying it isn’t there. When my fan on the Axe fx II mk1 was replaced it was a huge difference. From very annoying noise to almost inaudible. That was a long time ago. What I don’t understand is why by now they don’t put these inaudible fans in there in the first place.

My Axe III Mk1 makes a light fan noise that I don't hear when I'm 50 cm far from it.
With a dBmeter app on my iphone, it turns around 40 dB placed on the Axe and 30 dB at 50 cm.

But that’s like saying it isn’t there. When my fan on the Axe fx II mk1 was replaced it was a huge difference. From very annoying noise to almost inaudible. That was a long time ago. What I don’t understand is why by now they don’t put these inaudible fans in there in the first place.
Honestly, from what I've seen, many times the noise can be eliminated by adjusting the mounting screws.

And I was not suggesting the problem isn't there. Rather that some people and/or environments are more "sensitive" to it.

I've owned 2 different versions of Axe Fx II and 1 Axe Fx III. I never noticed the fan unless I tried to actually hear it.

No fan issues for both my MK1 and MK2. Sometimes I might notice it when there is no sound happening at all in my room. The second I play my guitar or a track it's buried at the bottom of the noise floor.

Back
Top Bottom