Mark 2 fan noise

pauly

Fractal Fanatic
Hi,

I thought the fan noise in the Axe FX 3 Mk1 was bad. You should hear the DRONE in the Mk2!

In the Mk3, please consider working on the fan noise in a quiet environment, because this is terrible for a unit going into a studio..

Thanks
Pauly

Really? The fan noise becomes worse in MK II? I didnt hear anyone mention any thermal design change in MK II, have you tried to open up the lid and loosen the screws on the fan mounting? Or just change the fan to a quieter after market one...?

I wasnt super happy about the MK I fan noise level either, I could tolerate it but it bothers me enough to make me turn it off once I stopped playing it, whereas I leave my Helix on all the time...

My III always stay in my cool room, I think the fan spins up too aggressively for my environment, I really hope there is at least a setting to configure the fan speed to be less aggressive... @FractalAudio

Strange thing, after two weeks with my AF3 MK2's I still haven't heard its fan.

I say "strange" because I still have my old AF2 MK1 and its fan (which was replaced many many years ago because the one that came with was even louder) is loud even when installed in a Gator Rackbag, so honestly, I was expecting at least the same amount of fan noise from the AF3 MK2.

Both the AF2 and AF3 are half a meter from my ears, switch on the AF2 and you will instantly know it's on, switch on the AF3 (also in a Gator Rackbag) and you won't be able to tell without looking at the screen/logo.

Maybe I just got lucky this time around.

HI Mark,

Yeah I fixed it - however it'd be better if I didn't have to :)
Thanks
Pauly

Really? The fan noise becomes worse in MK II? I didnt hear anyone mention any thermal design change in MK II, have you tried to open up the lid and loosen the screws on the fan mounting? Or just change the fan to a quieter after market one...?

I wasnt super happy about the MK I fan noise level either, I could tolerate it but it bothers me enough to make me turn it off once I stopped playing it, whereas I leave my Helix on all the time...

My III always stay in my cool room, I think the fan spins up too aggressively for my environment, I really hope there is at least a setting to configure the fan speed to be less aggressive... @FractalAudio

Weird some units have more fan noise than others - my Axe2 and 3 mk1 unit fans are quiet. Seems like some manufacturing inconsistency there.

My Mk 1 was audible, and I have shitty ears at this point; but it wasn't bad enough for me to crack the case. I think the 4U shell I had it in probably amplified it some.

I'm one of those 'fortunate' souls with a noisy Axe III Mk 1 fan... although the behaviour is odd: if it's sitting flat on a table/desk, it's a barely (and I mean barely) audible hum. However, if I want to raise the front to make the display easier to see, alluvasudden it's a loud RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

o_O

I recall from earlier reading that the mounting screws should be tightened rather than loosened, and when I tried that it did reduce the volume of the hum a wee bit. Oddly tho', I could only tighten them a bit before they seemed to turn freely, so I'm not sure what they screw into... but whatever it/they is/are, they're loose... [scratches head... no emoji for that, apparently...]

Hi mark,
Yes it is, it’s a larger diameter and spins slower, giving less audible air movement.
not the photo is of the plate upside down to how it’s mounted. The fan sitson top, and the four empty holes screw onto the standoffs the original fan mounting plate is mounted to.
Thanks
Pauly

That looks like a different fan than the one from MK I....

Back
Top Bottom