Maren Morris' "Girl"

I think what draws me to the tone is the simplicity of it. I, too, am thinking part of the tone is in the type of guitar used, so I'll pull out my ES339 and start with it.
I tried it with my Baja Tele last night and the Double Verb Vibrato model with the 2x12 Double Verb 57A and 121A cabs ..... hitting those G string notes were a little too chimey unless I put it in position 4 on the switch(which is bridge and neck pickup in series like a humbucker) so I definitely think that studio recording is done with some kind of humbucker or maybe P90 .... in a semi-hollow.

Well, the guys name is Bennett Dean Lewis .... and after creeping his IG account, he looks to be using a XTS Imperial OD and a Vertex Ultra Phonix OD

Vertex's website says the Ultraphonix pedal was created to mimic the sound of a Dumble Overdrive Special amp, so I'm using the ODS-100 HRM Mid amp model as my drive and sending it into the Double Verb model to experiment with the tones I posted about. The drive created by the ODS into the Double Verb is sounding great! Reverb on this patch I'm building is a combo of the plex verb and deep space reverb. It's getting super close IMO.

(Thank you, @ssmorga78, for the amp/cab ideas. The Double Verb was the right place to start.)

Vertex's website says the Ultraphonix pedal was created to mimic the sound of a Dumble Overdrive Special amp, so I'm using the ODS-100 HRM Mid amp model as my drive and sending it into the Double Verb model to experiment with the tones I posted about. The drive created by the ODS into the Double Verb is sounding great! Reverb on this patch I'm building is a combo of the plex verb and deep space reverb. It's getting super close IMO.

(Thank you, @ssmorga78, for the amp/cab ideas. The Double Verb was the right place to start.)

Don't be afraid to share the Preset once you get it done .... Just so we can experiment with what you got!

They’re unavailable on your iDevices because the video owners have disallowed embeds on mobile. Click through to YouTube and they’ll play just fine.

Has nothing to do with the forum updates.
Yes... That's what I already did.

I wasn't proposing this as a forum issue. I assumed it was something specific to the videos or YouTube.

I didn't have as much time to tweak as I wanted, but nonetheless here is what I created to get close to the guitar tone from Maren Morris' song, "Girl." Reverb might need to be a bit bigger and a bit more bass taken out of the amp depending on your FRFR (if using one), but feel free to tweak further. I liked it best on a semi-hollow guitar, but it sounded good on my solid body Suhr Classic Pro, too.

Attachments

• Maren Morris Girl.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 14
I didn't have as much time to tweak as I wanted, but nonetheless here is what I created to get close to the guitar tone from Maren Morris' song, "Girl." Reverb might need to be a bit bigger and a bit more bass taken out of the amp depending on your FRFR (if using one), but feel free to tweak further. I liked it best on a semi-hollow guitar, but it sounded good on my solid body Suhr Classic Pro, too.
Sound Samples???

Simple, Easy, and Free ...... Audacity! You would also need to download the LAME plugin to be able to save the audio files as mp3's as well.

How about GarageBand or Logic Pro? I’m not fluent in either, but have access to these programs already.

How about GarageBand or Logic Pro? I’m not fluent in either, but have access to these programs already.
Im gonna hope that something went wonky with your preset you shared .... cause all I am getting is a fizzy mess when I load it into my Axe III.

@ssmorga78 Hmm, no idea. Could you define "fizzy mess"?

Here are the sound samples I got earlier today, though. After monitoring through Logic during recording I made a few minor tweaks from the preset I posted earlier.

And here is the updated preset:

Attachments

• Maren Morris Girl.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Here are the sound samples I got earlier today, though. After monitoring through Logic during recording I made a few minor tweaks from the preset I posted earlier.

It sounded like a metal patch gone HORRIBLY wrong. The Dumble you were using as a drive had the input gain set on 9.8 and the power section was still on ..... Was a HOT MESS! I'll try out the new preset you shared and see if it's any better

Definitely did not sound like that .... Which sounds really good!!!!

It sounded like a metal patch gone HORRIBLY wrong. The Dumble you were using as a drive had the input gain set on 9.8 and the power section was still on ..... Was a HOT MESS! I'll try out the new preset you shared and see if it's any better

I didn't dive deep into the ODS's settings, but I remember turning the input gain up to get a bit of that overdriven Dumble crackle. Maybe it was too much. In both presets the power section of the ODS is turned on, though.

Couple of questions:
1. What does it mean to turn the power section off?
2. Why would a preset sound fine on my end, but sound way different when downloaded and ported to another person’s Axe FX 3?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom