Maren Morris' "Girl"

drubarlow

I'm totally digging the guitar tone (and the feel in general) in the intro from Maren Morris' song, "Girl." Does anyone have ideas about where I can start building patch to mimic this tone? Here's a recording for reference.

Since you have an isolated guitar sample(the intro), simply Tone Match it.
But that kind of requires you to be close already... And if he doesn't know where to start that doesn't really help.

Tone Match is for EQ, it doesn't define the overall character of the amp.

But that kind of requires you to be close already... And if he doesn't know where to start that doesn't really help. Tone Match is for EQ, it doesn't define the overall character of the amp.

You don't necessarily have to be all that close. As long as the gain is set similarly, Tone Matching will get you most of the way there. The trick is to play the same chords and set the Averaging Time to around 20.000 in the TM block.

Last edited:
I'll be honest .... sounds like a Gibson through a Fender amp(Blackface) drowned in a lot of room reverb to me .....

This is close, but the guitarist plays both a Tele or a Collings semi hollow 335ish when playing live from videos I have seen. Tone seems close to the studio track to me .... and he looks like he is playing through a blonde tolex Fender Twin Reverb.

The studio track sounds like some sort of Gretsch guitar to me. I've never heard of her before, very cool tune. The guitar on the Stern show has more gain. You should be able to get that sound with some sort of Fender amp sim with a treble boost and mucho reverb.

Here is him with a Collings 335 type guitar. Not as much Reverb as studio track, but the gain amount is certainly closer.

anyone else having trouble playing the vids? ( I know the tone, huge Maren Morris fan) but can't figure out why the vids won't play

This is close, but the guitarist plays both a Tele or a Collings semi hollow 335ish when playing live from videos I have seen. Tone seems close to the studio track to me .... and he looks like he is playing through a blonde tolex Fender Twin Reverb.

The main rhythm tone in this video is a Tele thru a Twin. Who knows what OD pedal
Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 4.53.30 PM.png

All these vids are coming back unavailable.. wtf is going on.. the forum is all different, now you tube has done gone and swiped things away.. I hate forced change! Lol I’m old.

They're showing up fine here. Chrome on Win10. Cool song. I'd not heard of Maren before.

anyone else having trouble playing the vids? ( I know the tone, huge Maren Morris fan) but can't figure out why the vids won't play
They are all playing on my Win10 PC .... and my Android Note 8 phone .... not sure what is going on on your end Jason.

The studio track sounds like some sort of Gretsch guitar to me. I've never heard of her before, very cool tune. The guitar on the Stern show has more gain. You should be able to get that sound with some sort of Fender amp sim with a treble boost and mucho reverb.

I think what draws me to the tone is the simplicity of it. I, too, am thinking part of the tone is in the type of guitar used, so I'll pull out my ES339 and start with it.

Back
Top Bottom