Mapping IA functions in one preset clears another presets IA Mapping

Alabama man

Inspired
I was working on making two different presets - one using Dbl Vrb Nrml and another using the Friedman HBE V1 model. I noticed that after mapping IA functions for one preset (using IA switches 6-10 for both presets), that the other preset's IA 6, 7 and 9 switches clear, showing no LED.

Initially, the presets were next to each other (229-230), So I swapped a few things around and made the Friedman 229 and Twin 227. Still the same issue. I increased the bank size to confirm that switches are functioning and that worked, but it didn't solve my problem. I'm also noticing that other presets aren't mapping properly as well (with the basic comp and drive IA functions assigned).

I'm really not sure what the issue is here, but I'll probably install the new firmware later tonight and see if that changes anything. The only thing I can think of that may have screwed something up was having the axe on and then plugging in my MFC controller.

(Using the MFC MK III with the latest firmware, Axe II XL with 3.02 )

I may be misunderstanding what you are doing, but the MFC won't change what is assigned to a IA switch per preset. If you assign IA 6 to Drive 1 for preset 100, it is Drive 1. If you change to preset 101 and make IA 6 Phaser 1, it will be Phaser 1 in the other preset too. So, if there is no Phaser 1 in preset 100 it will just be blank (no LED) because that block does not exist in that preset.

As I said, I may be misunderstanding your intent, so feel free to elaborate a bit more if you'd like.

Last edited:
I was working on making two different presets - one using Dbl Vrb Nrml and another using the Friedman HBE V1 model. I noticed that after mapping IA functions for one preset (using IA switches 6-10 for both presets), that the other preset's IA 6, 7 and 9 switches clear, showing no LED.

Initially, the presets were next to each other (229-230), So I swapped a few things around and made the Friedman 229 and Twin 227. Still the same issue. I increased the bank size to confirm that switches are functioning and that worked, but it didn't solve my problem. I'm also noticing that other presets aren't mapping properly as well (with the basic comp and drive IA functions assigned).

I'm really not sure what the issue is here, but I'll probably install the new firmware later tonight and see if that changes anything. The only thing I can think of that may have screwed something up was having the axe on and then plugging in my MFC controller.

(Using the MFC MK III with the latest firmware, Axe II XL with 3.02 )

IA functions are not per preset. if you set Chorus 1 On/Off to Switch 6, it will always be Chorus 1 On/Off always in every Preset.

No LED means there is not Chorus 1 block in the preset.
Red LED means there IS a Chorus 1 block and it is bypassed.
Green LED means there IS a Chorus 1 block and it is engaged.

Oh, wow. That's really interesting. Trying to wrap my head around this, but doesn't this seem like a major limitation?

Let me make sure I am understanding this correctly:
Whatever preset I'm on, if I set IA-1 for Drive 1, does that globally reserve IA-1 for Drive 1, preventing any other effect type from being used in any other preset on that specific IA switch?

Last edited:
Oh, wow. That's really interesting. Trying to wrap my head around this, but doesn't this seem like a major limitation?

Let me make sure I am understanding this correctly:
Whatever preset I'm on, if I set IA-1 for Drive 1, does that globally reserve IA-1 for Drive 1, preventing any other effect type from being used in any other preset on that specific IA switch?
Yup. That's how most midi controllers work actually.

And if you do need a per preset IA switch then search on here for wildcard...

I use this for a single IA which gives me a little more flexibility.

I just did some reading on this and it seems like the perfect solution - thanks! Can you set up multiple wild cards? I didn't see if you can or can't do multiple wild cards.

I don't see why not... as long as you have the available EXTERNAL source to map to your IA switch.

I only use one because that's all I need, but I could map another if needed. I guess it could get a bit confusing unless you were very methodical about what they actually controlled.

I don't see why not... as long as you have the available EXTERNAL source to map to your IA switch.

I only use one because that's all I need, but I could map another if needed. I guess it could get a bit confusing unless you were very methodical about what they actually controlled.

If I wanted two wild-cards, would it be as straight forward as getting two mini tap type boxes (not sure where I would get these and what they would have to be wired like internally), connecting them to 2 of the controls / expression ports on the back of my MFC and then doing the mapping?

I shall have to read up on this... y'all sneak in the coolest stuff.
IIRC, you assign a switch to an External Controller, then assign the BYPASS parameter of any block to that External Controller. then the switch isn't a "Chorus 1 On/Off" only, but instead a "whatever i set to External control 5 on/off".

IIRC, you assign a switch to an External Controller, then assign the BYPASS parameter of any block to that External Controller. then the switch isn't a "Chorus 1 On/Off" only, but instead a "whatever i set to External control 5 on/off".
Interesting concepts, seems the things you can do just go on and on with these units. I am way more amazed than I should be 5 years in. Just cool as can be.

You can have up to twelve wildcards!

So pumped. I would have been happy with 2!

I found only one post showing how to use one wildcard. Would you be able to elaborate on setting up multiple wildcards or pointing me in the right direction to do so?

Last edited:
So pumped. I would have been happy with 2!

I found only one post showing how to use one wildcard. Would you be able to elaborate on setting up multiple wildcards or pointing me in the right direction to do so?
set a switch to a different External Controller - there are 12, the CC# list is in the I/O CTRL menu on the front panel. then assign different block Bypasses to different External Controllers.

Back
Top Bottom