Mandolin Sim Preset?

haffner1

Inspired
I have tried a forum search and axe exchange, but I haven't found one anywhere. Does anyone have a decent tone match or preset to simulate a Mandolin on electric guitar? I would be very appreciative!

I made my first attempts at tonematching, but I think the results are fairly unspectacular. I really have little clue as to what I am doing beyond what I read in the manual. I tried a few different takes based on this video.

These are the results I got. I started with my basic clean practice patch and cleaned up cabs and effects I didn't need.

I'm a bit confused about what I see on the reference graph. It looks like there are a lot of frequencies off of the graph but nothing seems to be peaking out on the usb return volume. Take a look at the pics- Could anyone with more experience on this chime in?mandolin tonematch1.jpg Mandolin tonematch2.jpg

Attachments

• Mandolin Test 2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Mandolin Test 3.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Mandolin Test.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 27
I seem to recall something put up on the forum a long time ago... I could be wrong though.
2 pitch blocks ring a bell?? One to give the 12 string effect and one to bring everything up an octave with a tone match somewhere after..
I think the form member "Moke" would be able to get this pretty good - He's pretty much the bar standard for TM's and all things 12 string acoustic... Not sure how to tag him on to this thread tho.... :)

Just type @ in front of the user name to tag them @54321pj ...;)

I haven't had much success with a dedicated Mandolin sim. My band plays a version of Rod Stewart's Maggie May. I use a dual path preset that has most of my Acoustic Sim preset in it. And I play up at the 12th fret.

Scenes 2 and 4 of my Acoustic Sim preset should get you close, if you put a capo on the 12th fret? The difference in tuning intervals will cause some issues? You could tune the 4 middle strings 'G', 'D', 'A', 'E', then capo the 12th fret?

If the 'Pitch' blocks ever get 'formant shifting' and some other updating and become 'world class' industry leading, like most of the other blocks, something like this may be more doable?

I have tried a forum search and axe exchange, but I haven't found one anywhere. Does anyone have a decent tone match or preset to simulate a Mandolin on electric guitar? I would be very appreciative!

I think you will need some kind of Roland synth to play simulate mandolin on a guitar - mandolin is a super hard instrument to reproduce - it is even difficult to get a good amplified mandolin sound with a mandolin! Now if you wanted to just buy a mandolin, the AxeFx is great at reproducing the sound of acoustic instruments. I tried SO many acoustic amps trying to get a good reproduction of my mandolin tone and it turns out the AxeFx is a fantastic acoustic instrument preamp! I used my AxeII all the time with my mandolin - the tone match using my piezo was so good that I quit using an external microphone along with the piezo. Since I got my AxeIII I have just been using a patch without tone match and without an amp model - just an EQ - and it really sounds fantastic through my Boogie power amp into a Matrix cabinet.

Back
Top Bottom