Managing Presets

CudBucket

Inspired
Just curious what some of you do regarding managing presets on the AF3. I didn't want to move the stock presets off the device so I just pushed them back to positions 128-511. This way the first 128 spots were open for me to use for my own. Then I bought a couple of packs and next thing you know, those 128 spots are filling up.

So do most of you just store stock and purchased preset on a drive and then just audition them from there, bringing over only the ones you'd like on the AF3?

Just curious. Thanks.

Dave

Just curious what some of you do regarding managing presets on the AF3. I didn't want to move the stock presets off the device so I just pushed them back to positions 128-511. This way the first 128 spots were open for me to use for my own. Then I bought a couple of packs and next thing you know, those 128 spots are filling up.

So do most of you just store stock and purchased preset on a drive and then just audition them from there, bringing over only the ones you'd like on the AF3?

Just curious. Thanks.

Dave

It can be a bit of a pain for anybody who uses a lot of presets. IMHO the slots on the AxeFX should only be used a place to store a few presets you need to access via foot controller. The unlimited storage potential of your computer makes that the better place to store presets. The problem is "manage presets" browser isn't advanced enough for that purpose. Here's a wish thread for this subject:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-presets-irs-and-blocks-and-set-lists.162038/

P.S. The same goes for IR's. I can't believe anybody can efficiently manage a thousand IR's in their AxeFX. Storing them on your computer and accessing them with a good browser would be way better. The wish thread in the link above has a suggestion on how to automatically transfer IR's to the AxeFX as needed instead of storing every IR you'll ever need in the AxeFX.

Last edited:
It can be a bit of a pain for anybody who uses a lot of presets. IMHO the slots on the AxeFX should only be used a place to store a few presets you need to access via foot controller. The unlimited storage potential of your computer makes that the better place to store presets. The problem is "manage presets" browser isn't advanced enough for that purpose. Here's a wish thread for this subject:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-presets-irs-and-blocks-and-set-lists.162038/
+ 512......

For me, it's not a matter of space on the Axe. I'd never need 512 presets. Probably more like 3 or 4. But my OCD makes me want to have all the stock and purchased presets on the Axe. Ultimately, the more I think of it, the more likely I am to just move everything off of it onto my drive(which I've already done). And just use the Axe for presets I'm likely to use now.

It's a "good" problem to have. :)

Dumped all the factory presets to disk using the Tools>Manage Presets>Export function.

To speed this up, make sure to set the Axe on an EMPTY preset and the export moves along nicely.

As a matter of fact, I'm backing up right now before installing FW 13.01. Fractal-Bot does banks, system and cabs, but AxeEdit allows me to save presets. I have backups going back to early 2019 ....

Last edited:
For me, it's not a matter of space on the Axe. I'd never need 512 presets. Probably more like 3 or 4. But my OCD makes me want to have all the stock and purchased presets on the Axe. Ultimately, the more I think of it, the more likely I am to just move everything off of it onto my drive(which I've already done). And just use the Axe for presets I'm likely to use now.

For anyone who has more than a few presets, that's the only sensible strategy, it's not OCD :) Not only for presets, but IRs as well. Keep your library of factory and purchased presets/IRs on your computer, browse and audition them from there, and only transfer a few into the AxeFX as needed. The problem is, to really work, that would require a proper browser which is currently lacking in manage presets (categorization, tagging, filtering, rating, etc.)

I'm probably going to post a video of my workflow but this is what I'm doing... hopefully I am explaining it somewhat clearly but a video will be much better.

1. Keep a "Download Repository" . Just a place to store everything in its unedited format.
2. If the items I've downloaded are in banks I pull them into the AxeFx then export them back out to individual preset files.
3. Move individual presets into a "Workspace" folder. I have a hierarchy setup to start some better organization. My folder structure varies depending on the collection. Sometimes I'll strip out the bank numbers if I want to sort alphabetically but sometimes I leave them in place if I've ordered them some other way.
4. I am using a piece of software called "TagSpaces" to then add tags that I can search on and further generate collections of presets to preview in the Axe or load. Once things are tagged it's very easy to search my collection for all presets using a Marshall or Brit amp model. If I want to grab everything using a particular effect that's easy. Or anything I tag as a "Favorite" or maybe a "Set List".

I've only just recently started this tagging adventure and I'm focused on presets right now but will eventually possibly also be tagging blocks and IR's. One thing that can be a bit of a pain is making sure to save any edits back to the workspace at some point. So far not too bad though. I'll post a couple of screen shots. TagSpaces has a free version that is really useable and I will be happy to give a copy of my tag database to anyone that wants it to save you the time of entering them. I can also give you a copy of my folder with all of the tagged AxeFx factory presets to save you some time once I finish. I'm about 75% done. I ended up paying for TagSpaces because it unlocks much better filtering options and a couple of other features I dug plus I always like to support anything I really actively use. I started using the file tagging native to the mac but wasn't really liking that experience.

Image1 - Workspace
Image2 - View of TagSpaces with some of my preset tagging
Image3 - Quick filter of all presets tagged with "AC30" and "Ambient"

So if I wanted to now preview all of those in the AxeFx I can copy them all to a new directory from TagSpaces. Then just point the AxeFx at that directory and use the AxeEdit to step through them.

I had started down the road to automatically pull all of this information directly from the preset files since the information is all there but I just don't have the time to work it all out. I got a short way into it and decided to just go this route. Hopefully AxeEdit will evolve to include a library feature where you just already have all of this metadata to filter on and we can just add the things that are favorites, ratings, color, texture etc as user added tags. The "Wish" is already there so just add to the thread :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 10.48.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 10.48.03 AM.png
    452.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 10.48.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 10.48.58 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 11.02.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 11.02.40 AM.png
    359.3 KB · Views: 36
Here is the tag library I have so far if anyone wants to play with it.

I LOVE it is in json. This way if you want to edit it outside of tag spaces its super easy to automate. There are two modes you can run tag spaces in. I use the mode which stores the tags along side the files in a hidden directory. The tags for each file are contained there on disk also in json so if you need to modify them outside the program that can also be automated. Wish the .syx file had a companion .json which would make automating this SO EASY.

Just curious. Thanks.

Dave
Hi Dave
You can just delete all of the factory settings and just replace them from fractalaudio anytime you want.
https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-downloads/

If you have Ir packs that You have purchased the way that I do it, and I was given this thought by another Member of the forum use the first 20 slots for the presets you want to use and that will be plenty for your preset.
This is a great way to make things very manageable. You can load others with all of the open spots all together you have 512 more then enough to keep you busy. 😉

Always back up all of your settings and store your back ups in several different places. I store mine on the computer on my laptop external hard drive’s and flash drives. That way should something happen to one of them you’ll have your back ups in other places and also email them to yourself. Which is a great way to have them just in case you’re at a gig and need them.
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_II_Wiki_Home
Have fun now let’s Jam 😃

@yek also has a very helpful wiki page.

...Fractal-Bot does banks, system and cabs, but AxeEdit allows me to save presets. I have backups going back to early 2019 ....
You can select individual presets from within the banks that Fractal-Bot saves and then place them individually into any preset slot on the Axe-Fx.

I deleted all factory presets and just filled up the first 13 slots with my own presets. Just an OCD thing ...

I don't understand buying presets.

I love preset packs (including the factory presets). I've learned a ton about the AxeFx from picking apart what others have created. While it's true you can very quickly and easily dial in a great tone I find myself getting repetitive. What others put together are a great source of inspiration and fiddling with a cool preset I find really sparks my creative juices. I have about 50ish bits i've recorded just recently while going back through the factory presets to tag them. Its interesting what I end up playing when without putting any thought into it or knowing what sound is about to come out of my rig. For me it also saves a ton of time. So whether I'm paying for them or they are free/donate what you can from the generosity of others willing to share (I'm looking at you @yek and @simeon and @2112 and @Burgs and on and on) I really love we have this capability. The only problem may be I get a little distracted at times by so many cool choices!

Back
Top Bottom