Man your guitar sound rocks, but.......

The problem is how do you tell somebody they're off? Especially in a forum setting where it seems amazingly easy to offend.

Yeah, it's a strange environment. There are many people involved that probably have no business doing it. I've seen people cry after receiving what I consider to be reasonably civil feedback. Good grief!!!

I've long been afraid that playing in church would ruin me musically. I often pray "Lord, please don't let me lose my sense of time" and break out a metronome occasionally to make sure it's still there.

So, I suppose if someone can't really dance but enjoy it nonetheless, they should just give that up too? Because they have NO business doing it? You guys know the joke:

How many guitarists does it take to screw in a light bulb? 50... one to screw in the bulb and 49 to tell them they're doing it wrong.

If someones timing is way off and they want to continue playing music, eventually it will come to light... possibly one of their REAL LIFE FRIENDS will tell them... but, it's unlikely that random comments from unknown screen names/avatars is going to be helpful... whatever the intentions may be.

The metronome or whatever tool you use to practice with isn't the point. Rhythm, groove and making music is the point.

I notice this too. There is so much emphasis on being able to shred that the music that's being played over can get left behind.
There is a bunch of great players out there that post tracks and often they have amazing chops but have clearly practiced timing and groove a whole lot less if at all. Possibly this can be because they have limited band experience and in some cases no experience of playing rhythm guitar? Who knows? But timing/groove is the element that turns "nice chops" into "F***!".

The most common problem that I notice (hope I'm not coming off as an ass here) is that when it comes to the "now I'm going to show the world how fast I can play" part, the guitarist rushes so much that there's a clear drift between the music and the solo. Once that happens, it becomes obvious that the guitarist was only trying to demonstrate how fast he could move his/her fingers. Not how good he or she is.

The way I like to practice avoiding this is to make the beat _pull you_ with the music, even when playing fast (well, relatively). It's tons of fun and imho sounds more cool and grown-up than e.g. someone that's never been l**d :)

Then there's also the question of phrasing and choosing the right notes... What do you think about this for instance? (solo starts at around 3:15):

edit: just in case ... I personally think this shows how much shredding can suck :)

Last edited:
It would be nice to be able to afford someone with constructive criticism(s) when something is posted (publicly). However, "in this day and age," it seems like offense is so easily taken, and often the result of miscommunication, misunderstanding, and/or de-constructive criticism(s) (the critic is (borderline) offensive, whether intentionally so or not).

Personally, I have avoided uploading/sharing simply because I am unable to even hold a guitar/bass *properly* anymore, and with various physical shortcomings, it can be quite difficult to capture even one *good* take. Capturing inspiration as I could in the days before my accident are seemingly long gone. Thus, I keep it to myself. No pity parties, no, "aww, poor girl," no sympathies necessary. Just offering another side to things, as it is not always cut and dry when it comes to the "whys" of life.

If I were able bodied/minded and recording myself, I would want a (proper, helpful) critique, and not one from someone atop a mighty steed (oh Hail thee! Brave and noble Knight!), but rather from another guitarist.. another artist.. another person. Think.. "How and what would Guthrie Govan do to help this person?" rather than, "How would R. Lee Ermey handle this miscreant?" And to those on the receiving end, review, discuss, implement, rather than angry debate, vulgarities, and denial. It is art, and subjective. Listen to free-form Jazz (ugh, IMO ;) ). Then listen to a band that is so precise and stiff that it sounds inhuman (ugh, again, IMO). Find your place in there. Explanations and practice, not excuses, ignorance, and laziness. IMO. :D

So, I suppose if someone can't really dance but enjoy it nonetheless, they should just give that up too? Because they have NO business doing it?

I wasn't saying that at all. I was talking about people who can't handle constructive criticism trying to perform in an ensemble. I'd never discourage anyone from doing what they love. However, I would advise them to learn to be objective and open to criticism if they plan to do it in a group.

not bothered about timing in the axe fx demos. some excellent players have showcased the axe-fx, but it's still good to hear what the less accomplished players can do with this great equipment.

It would be nice to be able to afford someone with constructive criticism(s) when something is posted (publicly). However, "in this day and age," it seems like offense is so easily taken, and often the result of miscommunication, misunderstanding, and/or de-constructive criticism(s) (the critic is (borderline) offensive, whether intentionally so or not).

Personally, I have avoided uploading/sharing simply because I am unable to even hold a guitar/bass *properly* anymore, and with various physical shortcomings, it can be quite difficult to capture even one *good* take. Capturing inspiration as I could in the days before my accident are seemingly long gone. Thus, I keep it to myself. No pity parties, no, "aww, poor girl," no sympathies necessary. Just offering another side to things, as it is not always cut and dry when it comes to the "whys" of life.

If I were able bodied/minded and recording myself, I would want a (proper, helpful) critique, and not one from someone atop a mighty steed (oh Hail thee! Brave and noble Knight!), but rather from another guitarist.. another artist.. another person. Think.. "How and what would Guthrie Govan do to help this person?" rather than, "How would R. Lee Ermey handle this miscreant?" And to those on the receiving end, review, discuss, implement, rather than angry debate, vulgarities, and denial. It is art, and subjective. Listen to free-form Jazz (ugh, IMO ;) ). Then listen to a band that is so precise and stiff that it sounds inhuman (ugh, again, IMO). Find your place in there. Explanations and practice, not excuses, ignorance, and laziness. IMO. :D

I think Guthrie Govan would write me off as a helpless case, LOL. Actually, I think he'd be pretty cool. I like how he says in one of his videos "The first thing about playing like this is that you have to LIKE playing like this. Don't do it because someone on the Internet said you're inadequate if you don't". It's nice to hear someone say that for a change. I know you don't want a pity party but as a fellow musician my heart goes out to you. You're right, we (I) often fail to see the complete picture in life. Thanks for sharing your story and your struggles! And, when you decide to post some material, I'll be happy to hear it.

Not everyone posting online is seeking a CRITIQUE, some are just sharing something they enjoy.

Unfortunately people take anything posted as a green light to belittle even the most talented amongst us.

Even Steve Vai videos get ripped, "that guy sucks, he has no soul", etc.... by guys who can't play a blues scale.

Unfortunately people take anything posted as a green light to belittle even the most talented amongst us.

Anyone ever notice that for the most part the average player will often get a pass (on youtube) but the really great players are both loved and hated. What's up with that?

There's lots of players that may be overrated, but who can really judge. Even if you could judge subjective matters, why would you bother posting? Trolls I guess. I don't get it.

Not everyone posting online is seeking a CRITIQUE, some are just sharing something they enjoy.

Even Steve Vai videos get ripped, "that guy sucks, he has no soul", etc.... by guys who can't play a blues scale.
IMO, anything shared publicly is open for (some manner of) critique, debate, assessment, etc. This may not always be the intention of the person from whom *it* originates, but said person should be aware of the simple fact that it will be treated as such. With a quick clip demonstrating a tone, the person may not desire, expect, etc a critique of technique, but I feel they should be aware of the fact that it could be provided; after all, anyone listening will likely make some form of judgment aside from the actual intended purpose (tone, in this case).

The second and third sentences, to me, are the "telling" bits; "belittle" is what I was attempting to describe as intentionally criticizing as a manner of deconstruction (not providing any constructive, polite feedback). Comments (about artists) with no qualification/quantification provide very little in the way of constructive criticism (but perhaps much in making a critique of the one posting/stating such things).

I see two possibilities:
- The poster is already aware of his timming issues, your comments don't help or hurt..... but might discourage.
- The poster is not aware of his timming issues... and your comments won't change a thing.

So don't work yourself up to much, just move on to the next clip.

:|

When I advocate the use of a metronome that does not mean that I advocate playing in strict time to the thing like a machine. The idea is to work in and around the beat, pushing and pulling all the time, but, YOU MUST KNOW WHERE THE BEAT IS IN YOUR HEAD. Like anything else it takes practice to play in time. As many people have said in this thread, get a drum machine, play to the radio, tv adds, anything, but practice playing in time to something.

Unless the poster is asking for critique - why give it? To make yourself feel better? Most likely they're already well aware of their shortcomings - and if they're not - the world will continue to spin at the same rate whether they're informed or not. Why hurt someone's feelings unnecessarily? Timing is important. I wish I had realized that early on - but I work on it now - and continue to suck at it. I'm painfully aware of it already - and don't really want to be so concerned about sharing because someone will be offended by my lack of skill. My opinion FWIW is that critique should be given in a forum environment only when invited.

Excuse me, but did I criticize any one person or even hint at any particular group or demographic? NO I DID NOT!!
I am simply trying to impress on people the importance of timing and suggesting a possible course of action to improve on it. How the hell can that offend anyone?

Excuse me, but did I criticize any one person or even hint at any particular group or demographic? NO I DID NOT!!
I am simply trying to impress on people the importance of timing and suggesting a possible course of action to improve on it. How the hell can that offend anyone?

1)No you did not.
2)I think we all agree that timing is important.
3)No one should be offended.

"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that bullsh-t and just play." - Charlie Parker

I believe Chick also said (although it could of been someone else of similar musical prowess) that one of the marks of being a good musician is knowing "what not to play".

"It's taken me all my life to learn what not to play." - Dizzy Gillespie

Humm... seems to be a sensitive topic for some.

Some probably wonder why I don't post clips, well I don't for two reasons... 1, I don't have an interface to do so... sad but true and 2, I'm am my own worst enemy. I over critique my self to the point if I don't sound totally professional I won't willingly record it (my problem). So for me it's not so much a timing issue as it is a self conscious one. It is one that I am aware of and there for I don't post clips.... for critique tone or ability.

I consider my self a good player and others have told me that I am good and should take my playing further but I am well aware of my limitations, what I can play and can't play and I tend to stay within those boundaries. That said if I were to post a clip for public listing I would be well aware that someone is going to take it apart no matter how good or bad it really is. Personally I don't play as well as I used to. I used to be better more slippery, faster and accurate.

So to the OP I guess I would have to say if you don't like what your hearing "click" on something else. No one is holding gun to your head and as much as I agree with your post last I read this is a public board in which members can post. On the same side of the coin to posters be aware that you can and most likely be critiqued with whatever you post for public listening it's a two way street
peace.gif

Most weekend golfers don't have PGA ambitions.

Instead of worrying about what others or doing or how well they are doing it, focus on improving yourself. Let's say by being less critical to start.

I don't worry about it at all... As to my being critical It's a fault that I have been made aware of several times by my wife of 21 years. How she put's up with it I'll never know.

Last edited:
Humm... seems to be a sensitive topic for some.

Some probably wonder why I don't post clips, well I don't for two reasons... 1, I don't have an interface to do so... sad but true and 2, I'm am my own worst enemy. I over critique my self to the point if I don't sound totally professional I won't willingly record it (my problem). So for me it's not so much a timing issue as it is a self conscious one. It is one that I am aware of and there for I don't post clips.... for critique tone or ability.

I consider my self a good player and others have told me that I am good and should take my playing further but I am well aware of my limitations, what I can play and can't play and I tend to stay within those boundaries. That said if I were to post a clip for public listing I would be well aware that someone is going to take it apart no matter how good or bad it really is. Personally I don't play as well as I used to. I used to be better more slippery, faster and accurate.

peace.gif

Good grief how did you get inside my life. I could say all the same things except I have an interface.

Back
Top Bottom