Man, finding a channel strip to suit me is tought

I've been looking for a multi-channel strip, one that would have just enough to mic up a drum set. And I want the price as low as possible, below three hundred dollars, if I can manage. But no luck. Basically, I want a deal like this so I can save just enough money to buy the Ultra instead of the Standard, you know? So my search goes on...

It occurred to me to wonder, what does everyone around here think in terms of preamps/channel strips for a home studio? What do you guys use?

I was looking for a multi channel soundcard for the exact same pupose - to record a drum set.

I ended up buying the Focusrite Saffire Pro40, which is very portable (1U) sounds great and has 8 mic pres, all with phantom power if needed.

Focusrite_SaffirePro40.jpg

$385

Last edited:
Hey, that's not a bad price at all. And at least a few dollars cheaper than what I had been looking at. And, I mean, I know this part doesn't matter, but, it's a sleek looking machine.

That does look like a nice mixer. So often I feel like built in programs look a little cluttered- that might just be me. That looks more to my liking.

Hm, the price is considerably higher on Sweetwater.com. Where did you get yours?

Those Pro40's are nice! I used to use drumagog, a 6 channel snake smallest I could find, Roland TMC-6 and triggers for drum recording. Only had 2 C451 overheads and 2 $10 cheapo radio shack mics in the (wrapped) kick drums. Toms and Snare were triggered. As everything pretty much gets replaced anyways in Metal music now a days. Recordings came out soundin' t*ts!!!

I use a Saffire Pro40 and I have no complaints. I got mine from ProAudioStar. I chatted with them an they gave me a price cheaper than a B-Stock model. It's been a little while so I can't remember how much I paid, but it was somewhere around $360

Back
Top Bottom