Mama's back: The Mother-of-all-pedal-and-effect-emulations-thread for Axe-Fx II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. Just wondering why many of these don't show in Axe-Edit? Some do (like delays). Using Axe-Edit v9 with latest Axe-Fx II 9.02 firmware. Everything else works ok (to a degree of course!). Just shows up as 'Empty' when i go in via Preset Folder or Axe-Manage (where no files, except a few, show up - no drives). Confused.com!

many of these are just fx blocks. they need to be saved in axe edit > effects and then recalled by right-clicking on the grid and going to "block" > "recall block"

The problem is that I cannot see any block (nothing in the preset and it cannot actually find the preset in Axe-Manage. It can see .syx files when I set the source to 'Preset Folder' but then loads up saying 'Empty') . Just nothing there at all. All other presets and a few other blocks are absolutely fine.

they're not presets, that's why

they're fx blocks. you can't load them up like presets. did you even read my previous post?

I'm using MidiOx, since Axe Edit won't work with the current firmware. I'm able to load full presets and IRs just fine, but I can't seem to load these individual effects blocks. I have the correct block included in my current present, I send the .syx via MidiOx, the "Midi In" light blinks, but nothing changes on the effect block that I'm trying to load. Thoughts?

I'm using MidiOx, since Axe Edit won't work with the current firmware. I'm able to load full presets and IRs just fine, but I can't seem to load these individual effects blocks. I have the correct block included in my current present, I send the .syx via MidiOx, the "Midi In" light blinks, but nothing changes on the effect block that I'm trying to load. Thoughts?

I'm still running into a wall loading these effects blocks via MidiOx. If anyone has some suggestions, I'm all ears!

I'm still running into a wall loading these effects blocks via MidiOx. If anyone has some suggestions, I'm all ears!

Unfortunately you can't. These blocks only work with Axe-Edit.

One work around is to use Axe-Edit "offline" without an AxeFx connected. Create a patch with the effect block in it and then save that patch to disk. You can then send the entire patch to your AxeFx using MIDI-OX or something similar.

Unfortunately you can't. These blocks only work with Axe-Edit.

That's what I figured...

One work around is to use Axe-Edit "offline" without an AxeFx connected. Create a patch with the effect block in it and then save that patch to disk. You can then send the entire patch to your AxeFx using MIDI-OX or something similar.

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know. I haven't installed with AxeEdit due to the incompatibility (I just got my AxeFX two weeks ago), but I didn't realize there was an "offline" mode. It makes sense now that I think about it, so I'll have to explore it now! Thanks!

AxeEdit seems to interpret some values differently when loading and saving patches this way and then sending them to the Axe via MidiOx. Anyone else seen this behaviour?

I use a Graphic EQ block for leads. I take down a few sliders for freqs I don't need. I use Level to increase the volume level with 4 dB. And I bump 1 kHz a little to add some mids to the tone.

Series, at the end of the chain.

31: -12
63: -12
125: -12
250: 0
500: 0
1k: 2
2k: 0
4k: 0
8k: -2
16k: -12

Alex,
I'm curious how you run your global EQ with v10. My main concern are those lower frequencies. I don't want to crowd the bass guitar with a bunch of unnecessary energy at the low end from my guitar signal. We rarely have a sound man so we need to get everything set correctly on our own. I love the sound of my guitar moving a bunch of air just as much as the next guy, but I've also found that leaving a lot of low end out of the equation really cleans up the house mix. For the record, I'm running direct to FOH from Output 1 and we're all on in-ears. Occasionally I'll play with an RCF NX12 wedge fed from Output 2, but most of the time, strictly in-ears.
Thanks,
Joe

Hey Joe,

Global EQs are neutral, except for 31Hz all the way down (always).

Depending on the room and overall volume level, I may slide 63Hz all the way down too.
This takes care of most of the conflicting frequencies.

Last edited:
Yek: and everyone else thanks a million times for all the work you guys share here!!
this thread is just what I was hoping to find, and I think there are many more users
like me that don't know where to start :)

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Hey Joe,

Global EQs are neutral, except for 31Hz all the way down (always).

Depending on the room and overall volume level, I may slide 63Hz all the way down too.
This takes care of most of the conflicting frequencies.

I also apply LoCut in the Cab block in my live presets, at 70Hz.
HiCut at around 6kHz but this varies.
Thanks for the quick reply Alex. That makes perfect sense and I also like your GEQ example for leads that you mentioned. Very simple. I like things simple. ;-)
Joe

I'm not getting this at all, I must be thick. What do I need to do to use these virtual pedals, I've had my axe effects for a week, so be gentle with me as my head is exploding already lol

It is so much more valuable for us newbies when the parameters are written out and we have to dial in the effect ourselves. I have learned alot from messing around with whats on this post so far. Thanks for putting in the time, its much appreciated.

I am having the same problem recalling downloaded effect blocks. They show in my Fractal Audio - Workspace - Axe Edit - Effects File, but they wont show up on the axe edit interface. Effects that i have manually created all show up though. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Same problem here. But I am still VERY THANKFUL that Axe-Edit was released! 10 times faster than using the front panel, if not more so.

I am having the same problem recalling downloaded effect blocks. They show in my Fractal Audio - Workspace - Axe Edit - Effects File, but they wont show up on the axe edit interface. Effects that i have manually created all show up though. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

You think we could do this all over again but for Axe Edit 1.9, since it doesn't load up the old blocks? That would be great if you guys could do that, because I am still not the best at dialing in fx yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom