Making your own Fullres IRs?

laxu

Fractal Fanatic
Is there anything special involved in making your own Fullres IRs or is it just basically "set up a room mic and make a 1.3 second IR using that"?

I want to give the Axe-Fx 3 IR capture feature a try with my own cabs and my shitty room and see how that works out. Anything else I need to do except configure the IR capture for Fullres?

Or would it be better to do all this in a DAW so I can get WAV files out of it?

The current issue with using a DAW to create Full Res IR files is that the current version of Cab Lab doesn't give you a WAV2SYX option for Full Res.

So all your converted WAV files would be truncated to UltraRes length via that method. You may be able to drag and drop a WAV file into your unit via cab manager in Axe Edit, but again depending upon your unit, you need to be mindful of the slots you use or again, it's going to be truncated.

I asked in the Cab Lab forum when Cab Lab would be updated to support Full Res but have heard nothing about it, not even a "soon".

As such, I would recommend capturing them in the FAS unit itself, as long as you don't have a Mark I, since it will only be able to store them in the scratch pad.

The current issue with using a DAW to create Full Res IR files is that the current version of Cab Lab doesn't give you a WAV2SYX option for Full Res.

So all your converted WAV files would be truncated to UltraRes length via that method. You may be able to drag and drop a WAV file into your unit via cab manager in Axe Edit, but again depending upon your unit, you need to be mindful of the slots you use or again, it's going to be truncated.

I asked in the Cab Lab forum when Cab Lab would be updated to support Full Res but have heard nothing about it, not even a "soon".

As such, I would recommend capturing them in the FAS unit itself, as long as you don't have a Mark I, since it will only be able to store them in the scratch pad.
Thanks for your thorough answer! I have a Mark 2 so I'm good.

I guess that Cab Lab update is also going to be a limitation for when 3rd party vendors can provide Fullres IRs unless they also shoot them separately with the Axe-Fx 3?

Thanks for your thorough answer! I have a Mark 2 so I'm good.

I guess that Cab Lab update is also going to be a limitation for when 3rd party vendors can provide Fullres IRs unless they also shoot them separately with the Axe-Fx 3?
Yep, that's correct. I really don't like shooting files exclusively in syx format when people want to port the files to devices which do not use that format or want higher sampling rate captures.

Ok bumping this thread as I would like advice on how to actually setup my mics to capture my cabs as Fullres IRs. I have my Axe-Fx 3 already setup to make IRs so that part works well for regular close mic IRs.

I have two Sonarworks XREF20 reference mics. These are almost flat response and I find that I get good results using them as close mics, sounds pretty similar to what I hear in the room. So I expect that they would work reasonably well for Fullres IRs too.

But how should I set them up in my room to capture Fullres IRs? How should they be positioned in regards to the cab? Should I just plonk them around where my ears would be? The legacy bank Fullres IRs are all left/right versions, so what's the best way to make these?

Ok bumping this thread as I would like advice on how to actually setup my mics to capture my cabs as Fullres IRs. I have my Axe-Fx 3 already setup to make IRs so that part works well for regular close mic IRs.

I have two Sonarworks XREF20 reference mics. These are almost flat response and I find that I get good results using them as close mics, sounds pretty similar to what I hear in the room. So I expect that they would work reasonably well for Fullres IRs too.

But how should I set them up in my room to capture Fullres IRs? How should they be positioned in regards to the cab? Should I just plonk them around where my ears would be? The legacy bank Fullres IRs are all left/right versions, so what's the best way to make these?
From my limited experience, I find ORTF placement works pretty well for stereo room mics (or drums overheads fwiw).
I'd start placing them roughly 2 meters away from the cab (on axis and at ear level) and then adjust position by ear.

You probably want the ultrares ir to be only the room, so aim the mics away from the cab. Just fool around and shoot 100 and see what worked the best, it doesn't cost anything but time.

Hitto jonkun pitäs tehä joku softa joka on ihan vaan IR:ien sarjatuotantoon räätälöity. Painat nappia, siirrä mikkiä, paina nappia, ja softa hoitaa tallennuksen ja numeroinnin.

So I finally finished capturing both of my cabs with closed micing and got to try out Fullres today.

I tried the ORTF technique but one of my mic stands was broken and I did not have a long enough XLR for the other mic so I ended up making R/L IRs simply by rotating a single mic about 110 degrees from its initial position to make the other one. The mic was placed at about ear level as if I was standing in the room about 2m away from the cab.

The end result works, but is more reverberant than what I perceive in the room. It's like I hear a reverb that has a longer decay than what I would hear in the roughly 15 square meter room. I stop playing and can clearly still hear the tail.

What should I do to fix this? Put mics closer to the cabs to capture less room reverb? Put them closer to the floor?

EDIT: I tried putting the mics lower and a bit closer to the cab but the result is definitely the same, still a noticeable long tail on it. If I could trim it down to cut that out it would work great.

Last edited:
Does your room have acoustic treatment (probably does considering you have sonarworks)? It might be more trouble than it's worth, but putting some additional fluffy objects in the room may help reduce reflections and get it closer to what you're looking for.

Capture a near field IR to run in parallel then turn down the full res IRs until you have the right amount of reverb, as you would with a reverb block.

Does your room have acoustic treatment (probably does considering you have sonarworks)? It might be more trouble than it's worth, but putting some additional fluffy objects in the room may help reduce reflections and get it closer to what you're looking for.
My "acoustic treatment" is a pair of filled to the brim bookshelves, a rug and a pile of stuff in the room. It's by no means a great room and has a pile of issues. That's why I use IRs for room correction as that helps. I'm moving within the next two months so no point doing anything about it. My whole setup here is rather ghetto. Only mics I own are the Sonarworks ones (got a second one for free because the seller messed up and then they told me to just keep it). I think they actually work pretty well for making close mic IRs.

With the factory Fullres IRs in the legacy bank, I typically turn down the volume of those about 5 dB and that works without issue. I tried turning mine down about 9 dB and that still does nothing to solve the extremely long decay I hear, it's like a very low resolution, fizzy reverb tail still audible after I hit a note and then immediately mute it. It will ring for long enough to be clearly noticeable whereas that's not a problem on the factory Fullres IRs or actually playing through studio monitors or guitar speakers in the room.

Either the mic is sensitive enough to pick up a reverb that is not perceivable by ear or something else is up and I couldn't figure out exactly what. To me this should give me something akin to small room reverb but now it's closer to a lo-fi hall reverb. Otherwise the Fullres IR actually sounds pretty decent and would be something I could use with headphones easily. I'm pretty sure this isn't an issue with the Axe-Fx 3 or anything but just something with the way I have it setup.

If it's not a particular secret, could @York Audio reveal what kind of setup you used to make the Fullres IRs now available in the legacy bank?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom