Making profit selling presets with the altruistic support of this community

It actually does not work both ways. If you didn't specifically ask, that's on you for your failure to due your due diligence. You can be aggrieved all you want, it doesn't matter.
Failure to ask someone requesting your help if they intend to steal your work product and try to profit from it without informing you is absolutely NOT an excuse for people ripping you off, but it is enlightening to see where your morals fail to meet even minimal ethical standards....

Wow... so many opinions...so many people that know so much about everything and everyone. I'm sure I'll never be that smart.
I'll do whatever the hell I want, when I want, and if anyone judges me for it, let them because they haven't got a clue!

@Piing - That must feel shitty - Most of us have probably given something of ourselves that was used by others for profit, and it feels horrible. Like someone else said here (sorry, not going to scroll back all those pages to see who!), see it as a cheap lesson. Hope it doesn't affect your natural propensity to help others when they need it. It's one of your many cool attributes.

It would be good if you named the person at some stage.

Thanks
Pauly

Bingo!

Big Boston fan, chasing Boston sounds for a "long time", made many of my own, bought one, tried free ones (the Burgs one is pretty good), tried plugins (Amplitube Boston100 for Rockman is descent) - but all with marginal success to my ear with my guitar / limited hands - till I downloaded this preset - holy shitballs!, this preset sounds fricken awesome with my SG Standard - best Boston distortion I've gotten by a mile. The Metal Zone set up as boost into EQ+plexi approach is genius - really balanced, thick, middy distortion for Tom Scholz style. 👍👍👍 - thankyou!
Thanks for the compliment I really appreciate it! It's been a work in progress for quite some time! I totally stumbled onto the Metal Zone pedal sound 4-5 years ago and have been working with it ever sense. The cleans are still not quite right to my ears but they are getting closer. The expression pedals are setup for a feedback trick at low volumes and that spacy long drawn out verb thing. There is also a boost that I have setup on an external foot switch! This one begs you to turn it up!

Last edited:
Just keep in mind I built it with low OP pups and I realize that presets don't always translate from foe rig to another but it's free so you have carte blanche to mod it to fit your guitar/rig!
No doubt. As much as I dug the songs and understand the era, the whole rockman tone I just never fancied, personally. I sure know what it sounds like well enough to hear if this is it.
I’m at a gig then it’s off straight to work but give me a day or so.

I agree with everyone in this thread.

I'm completely lazy and unmotivated when it comes to creating presets. I'd much rather be actually playing music in front of thousands, hanging with my wife, hiking somewhere cool, or eating at a great restaurant than twisting virtual knobs and commenting on how much more "chewy" this firmware sounds.

I like playing music. Other people obsess about their tone. Cool for them, that's their thing.

So I don't take offense, Bruce.

Then again, I can completely see why other people do take offense to this generalization.

So I agree to agree.

#rhettshull (or whatever that dudes name is - he does it by tweaking factory presets)
And there are manufacturers, like STL Tones, that create their CABs by applying synthesys/equalisation/compression to the IRs.

You just have to look at the waveforms to note that they are no natural IRs. I am not to say that the technique is good or bad, but the issue is that at their documentation they provide a list of real cabs and mics. That is cheating.

I opened a thread here a while ago:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/synthetic-manipulated-processed-cab-irs.175222/

There are also CAB collections that offer captures with dozens of different expensive mics, but they are the same capture processed through microphone IRs.

There is a lot of deception there. To begin, I do not trust manufacturers that do not post actual pictures of the cabs and the microphones during the capture process.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone in this thread.

I'm completely lazy and unmotivated when it comes to creating presets. I'd much rather be actually playing music in front of thousands, hanging with my wife, hiking somewhere cool, or eating at a great restaurant than twisting virtual knobs and commenting on how much more "chewy" this firmware sounds.

I like playing music. Other people obsess about their tone. Cool for them, that's their thing.

So I don't take offense, Bruce.

Then again, I can completely see why other people do take offense to this generalization.

So I agree to agree.
I am SOOOOOOOO with you on this. The tone obsession goes way overboard for my taste sometimes too. I’m way lazy and unmotivated when it comes to mowing the lawn. Even lazier and less motivated than me are my son and stepdaughter, so I see to it they mow the lawn. I guess that’s roughly equal to buying a mow the lawn preset pack? Hell if I’m going to do it AND pay the bills too.

And there is that other guy from Brazil that sells Yngwie Malmsteen presets for AX-8, Axe-FX-II, Axe-FX III, FM3 and FM9, but the guy only has the Axe-FX II. He converts the presets for the other devices with FracTool (that is easy to spot because the IN/OUT blocks are not aligned with the rest of the blocks, a typical feature of FracTool conversion), but the conversion is a disaster. The presets are useless for the Axe-FX III.

I don't say his name again here because the last time he was upset

Last edited:
Didn’t he have an AxeFXIII on loan for review for a couple years and ding the fractal because he couldn’t figure out the front panel after NOT reading the manual?
....and then tweaked some factory presets and put them up for sale.
Yeah, that's him. Really contributing to society.

(and here come the 'don't you talk bad about Rhett....you don't know him....he's very accomplished...blah, blah, blah' posts)

Failure to ask someone requesting your help if they intend to steal your work product and try to profit from it without informing you is absolutely NOT an excuse for people ripping you off, but it is enlightening to see where your morals fail to meet even minimal ethical standards....
It’s not work, it’s help. There’s a difference. In a work relationship it’s established at the outset what someone is doing for compensation and the use of their time. Again you’re trying to conflate things into a false argument.

I asked some guys at work help me get up to speed on some 3D printing techniques. I may use thst knowledge to start a small side hustle designing and making boutique usb game controllers. They , being reasonable people, aren’t going to expect a cut for the knowledge and skills they transferred to me.

I’ve taught hundreds of people throughout the course of my career how to fly certain kinds of aircraft. I don’t expect a percentage of the 6 figure salaries they’re making as a result of the KSA’s I’ve transferred to them.
You just have to face the fact that your argument doesn’t pass the smell test in a free market economy.

....and then tweaked some factory presets and put them up for sale.
Yeah, that's him. Really contributing to society.

(and here come the 'don't you talk bad about Rhett....you don't know him....he's very accomplished...blah, blah, blah' posts)
Wow. Guess it takes all types 🤷🏻‍♂️ Wonder how many people purchased a 99.9% factory preset and marveled on how much better it was?

Hope he’s selling a lot of presets. I recently found out what a custom made hat runs. It’s definitely NOT cheap!
I kind of like his videos. Despite him playing music that I generally barf over. I watched this particular vid and I was like "Ooooh is he bringing his own China Boy cymbal to the shoot?" Then I see the hat he's wearing in the vid
:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Back
Top Bottom