Making my custom gig bag backing plate - question about Neutrik connectors

Skanky

Inspired
I'm building my own custom backing plate for a gig bag that will hold the AxeFX-II. I'm going to be using the MFC-101 controller. The reason is just to protect the AxeFx in case some drunen slob (possibly me) trips over the cords. I'ts a heck of a lot cheaper to replace these connectors/cords than it will be if it does so at the AxeFx.

Right now, I just want to verify with some experts here that I've chosen the correct Neutrik panel connectors.

For going between Axe to Amp:
JN3FP6C 1/4" Connector

For MFC Ethercon connection:
ND8FDP Ethercon Connector

For anyone interested, here's what it will look like. The 2 blank panels are removable and can be made for anything I might have forgotten. I'm only going to use the items shown here (since that's really all I need).

NzSunpE.jpg

Both of your connectors appear to be the correct choices.

Having a back panel speeds up / simplifies connections onstage, and as you point out, it can save wear and tear (and catastrophic damage) to the unit's connectors. I'd much rather replace a $10 neutrik connector than have to send my unit in for service.

I looks like you're going with a detachable IEC cable for power. You might look at a PowerCon panel jack. It will fit into one of those standard round holes in your panel. PowerCon connectors lock in place. They look a bit like a Speakon, but they're keyed differently so you can't accidentally connect one to the wrong thing. Both of my racks use PowerCon for AC connectors, which ensures they can't get pulled out if someone tugs on (or trips on) the cable. You'll need the corresponding power cable to plug into it; it's got a standard three-prong wall plug on one end, and a PowerCon plug on the other.

My $0.02 : I don't know how your gig back is set up; if you're using a 2 space bag, this panel will fill the entirety of the bag's back. If that's the case, I recommend you leave those two lower panels open, rather than having the two large filler plates in place. The panel will inhibit airflow from the back of the AxeFX.

Nice looking diagram! Did you use SketchUp for that, or something else?

Both of your connectors appear to be the correct choices.

Having a back panel speeds up / simplifies connections onstage, and as you point out, it can save wear and tear (and catastrophic damage) to the unit's connectors. I'd much rather replace a $10 neutrik connector than have to send my unit in for service.

I looks like you're going with a detachable IEC cable for power. You might look at a PowerCon panel jack. It will fit into one of those standard round holes in your panel. PowerCon connectors lock in place. They look a bit like a Speakon, but they're keyed differently so you can't accidentally connect one to the wrong thing. Both of my racks use PowerCon for AC connectors, which ensures they can't get pulled out if someone tugs on (or trips on) the cable. You'll need the corresponding power cable to plug into it; it's got a standard three-prong wall plug on one end, and a PowerCon plug on the other.

My $0.02 : I don't know how your gig back is set up; if you're using a 2 space bag, this panel will fill the entirety of the bag's back. If that's the case, I recommend you leave those two lower panels open, rather than having the two large filler plates in place. The panel will inhibit airflow from the back of the AxeFX.

Nice looking diagram! Did you use SketchUp for that, or something else?

OK - you convinced me. I went ahead and got a PowerCon connector and cable. I'm going to leave the IEC cable connector in there (not wired in parallel for obvious reasons) in case I forget to pack the PowerCon cable for a gig.

And yes - I just have a 2U bag and this panel will cover the back in its entirety. I agree in that I probably won't use the 2 panels at all and just leave them open. That being said, I do believe that the FxII doesn't really require any sort of "open" air for cooling, but hey - I'm not going to risk it either. I've also got the other dozen Neutrik holes which will already be open for additional flow in case I do have the panels in place.

And I am using SolidWorks for the design (don't tell anyone I'm doing this from work - lol)

Update! Man, I absolutely love the Neutrik products!

Everything coming together very nicely. Still waiting on the Neutrik ¼ cable sockets to arrive.

So far, the only thing that I need to deal with is that the power cord extends a little too much into the back of the plate against a sharp edge. Going to need some cable management here, but otherwise no big deal. I totally forgot to take photos after i had it finally installed. I'll get those later.

oEe6iXR.jpg

vZjle9Y.jpg

Update! Man, I absolutely love the Neutrik products!

Everything coming together very nicely. Still waiting on the Neutrik ¼ cable sockets to arrive.

So far, the only thing that I need to deal with is that the power cord extends a little too much into the back of the plate against a sharp edge. Going to need some cable management here, but otherwise no big deal. I totally forgot to take photos after i had it finally installed. I'll get those later.

oEe6iXR.jpg

vZjle9Y.jpg
You do great looking work. That's very nicely done, clean and neat.
You do great looking work. That's very nicely done, clean and neat.

Thanks!

OK - you convinced me. I went ahead and got a PowerCon connector and cable.

I'm a huge fan of PowerCons, my PA rack has all front panel power cons to connect anything that needs power (nobody ever has to go behind the rack).
I'm in the midst of designing a pedal board for my AX8 and I was going to go with PowerCon. But I have this small fear that I'm going to be somewhere (like Traveling) with my AX8 and not have a PowerCon (and the pedal board is going to make getting to the IEC jack very hard once it's put together. So in doing research, came across these: http://www.mouser.com/new/schaffner/schaffnerIEC-lockcords/
These are just one example, but there are a few brands out there. They have a mechanism that grabs onto your ground plug from the inside of the casing. I bought one on ebay for $15, just to try it.....and I must say I'm impressed. I could connect and pick up my AX8 by the cord. I'm going to do this....but just trying to explain the strength of the connection. Only issue I have at the moment is finding some that are 20-25 feet long.

Figured it was worth passing along...

BBBN - that's pretty cool. I've thought about dual-wiring the power supply i have (with a switch) in case i forget my powercon cable. That might still happen.

I totally see the appeal in having all front connectors. It works be perfect for going between bedroom/gigs/practice frequently. I may consider doing this, but it would mean getting another gig bag (mines a 2U).

BBBN - that's pretty cool. I've thought about dual-wiring the power supply i have (with a switch) in case i forget my powercon cable. That might still happen.

I totally see the appeal in having all front connectors. It works be perfect for going between bedroom/gigs/practice frequently. I may consider doing this, but it would mean getting another gig bag (mines a 2U).
Really nice work on this panel!

I happen to like having the connections all on the back panel. Once my rack is set up, I don't need - or want - access the patch panel, and having it out of the way prevents unnecessary interaction / bumps on those connection points. Also, same reason as you cited : I don't want a bigger rack! I carry my entire tour rig in two 4 space racks, which is much easier to manage / carry than a single rack would be.

Here's a"work in progress" photo i just took... And the ¼" Neutrik connectors just arrived today! Should have everything ready very soon!

T9vG2EW.jpg

Complete on BOTH projects! Turned out great!

First of all, here's the back of the gig bag for the Axe FX II:

y9AEdfW.jpg

Now, I made the box for the back of the MFC mainly to protect that flimsy Ethernet connector. Problem solved - not only protected, but now I have a heavy-ass Neutrik connector for it! Awesome. Only problem was that it was kind of difficult to get my 1/4" connectors in there after I installed the box. No big deal though - I got it.

5MhswpK.jpg

eAnr4ki.jpg

ga3xAyh.jpg

VhpBI6e.jpg

Would you consider selling the MFC panel? It looks great!

I'd be glad to. I do want to make some improvements to it though. First thing, it wasn't deep enough (barely). I had a really hard time getting the ¼" connectors inserted after the box was assembled.

The other thing is that I'd like to include something to help secure the same cables. Right now, they're just kinda loose inside the box. Not a big deal, but i think it could be made more professional.

Also, i haven't put any thought into wether or not this box will work with midi cables.

Not trying to dissuade you, just want you to know everything I've learned. Other than that, the box does its job perfectly! It's extremely strong and the Neutrik connector for the Ethernet cable is top notch!

Back
Top Bottom