Making Kemper profiles with the Kemper in a loop from the Axe-Fx III

Guitarjon

Fractal Fanatic
Ok, this maybe a far fetched one but I'm going to try to see if any of you have experience with this setup:

So the Axe Fx III is basically the centerpiece of my DAW. It's my USB soundcard and I record all my DIs with it. Even when I record my real amps with the LB-2 loadbox, those are in one of the loops so that I can always record my DIs along with the amped signal. I'm going to have a Kemper stage in the studio soon to make some profiles of my tube amps and I'm trying to come up with a good setup that doesn't get in the way of my current workflow too much.

I want to capture my profiles using my loadbox and I'm going to be making direct profiles to use with IRs in the Kemper itself OR IR processing in the Axe Fx. The obvious setup to me would be to just put the Kemper in my 'amp loop', so go from output (2, 3 or 4) to the Kemper, that to my amp, that to my LB-2 loadbox and that back to an input (2, 3 or 4). My guitar will be going in the normal front input. I expect that this should work fine.

However, I was also thinking about putting the Kemper in a seperate loop of the Axe Fx and then routing everything in a preset so that the amp and loadbox's signal come in the signal chain where they need to be, if that makes sense? That would mean though that when I'm profiling an amp, those profiling noises will have to go into an input of the Axe Fx first before it hits the amp with the loadbox. I heard that those Kemper sounds are very loud. I don't want those Kemper test noises to be dynamically altered when it's going into the Axe Fx. I suspect it should work fine as long as I set the input levels low etc. But maybe someone else has experience with such a setup?

I'll have the Kemper in a few days so I will come back here to report about my findings if everybody is curious...

Why not capture proper IRs or your amps instead and do Ultra-Res tone matches directly in the Axe-Fx III?
Otherwise, it's like you're taking photos of a a black and white photo instead of shooting from life.

I'll just share my experience doing something similar.
I profiled my favorite Marshall rig with the Kemper load box - sounds crushing.
I dialed in a preset as close as I could in the Axe 3 (using the same Amp), and fed my Kemper into the Axe 3 (one of the rear inputs), and did a Tone match. Worked perfectly.

Both my Axe 3 and the Kemper sound nearly identical to my Marshall rig.

(I also used Fractool to convert it to a AX8 preset, and I use it in my AX8 too)
The AX8 preset has a small amount of a phase sound to it...can't figure out why. But still sounds great.

Why not capture proper IRs or your amps instead and do Ultra-Res tone matches directly in the Axe-Fx III?
Otherwise, it's like you're taking photos of a a black and white photo instead of shooting from life.
This question is probably going to get me flamed, but....
Can you use the Kemper Load box to feed the AX3? (asking just because I have one)

Of course I'm also going to do that! :) This is not about what's better, having a Kemper in the studio will be beneficial for me in multiple ways. It will be fun to make tonematches of my amps as well, should sound very accurate!

I also makes profiles with my Kemper, either using real amps + a load box and my IRs, or profiles of my Axe-Fx III or other modelers. Instead of putting the Kemper in the Axe loop, I would do the opposite, Axe in the Kemper loop.

Of course, I also tried tonematching KPA profiles, here's a video I made 5+ years ago :

You sure? It takes the signal from the back of my Marshall amp (full load) and allows me to plug into my Kemper to profile the amp.
That's not a load box??

You still need to attach a speaker or some sort of load, or you will blow your amp up! You're talking about the Kemper DI box right?

You still need to attach a speaker or some sort of load, or you will blow your amp up! You're talking about the Kemper DI box right?
Yes, Kemper DI. And now it makes sense....you (I) use a cab when profiling (which is a literal load box....duh). Not sure why that didn't sink in.

Back
Top Bottom