Making custom MIDI cable for phantom power

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
im planning to build myself a midi phantom power cable to go from the Axe3 to MFC101.

Can someone verify I have the right idea?

So I wire 9v AC to the number 6&7 pins, then clip the 2 pins (6&7) on the Axe side. Anything Im missing?

im planning to build myself a midi phantom power cable to go from the Axe3 to MFC101.

Can someone verify I have the right idea?

So I wire 9v AC to the number 6&7 pins, then clip the 2 pins (6&7) on the Axe side. Anything Im missing?
I would probably attach power to the wires from 6+7 after disconnecting the wires from the pins (inside the connector), too.

Also, just FYI, you can also use DC...

I would probably attach power to the wires from 6+7 after disconnecting the wires from the pins (inside the connector), too.

Also, just FYI, you can also use DC...
Thx, you have verified DC is okay? It does say ac on the Mfc next to the normal power in plug

I've not done this yet, but I am planning on it sometime when I get a chance (currently using the MFC power supply with midi).

One thing you need to be sure of is that your power source has enough amps to drive the MFC. You need to double check me on this, but I 'think' it needs to be around 1000mA. Some users have used 800mA and say it's fine, but some have also said it was unstable until they went to 1000mA.

I just made one of these today. Mine is intended for a GT16, so I can't answer you about the MFC specifically, but here's some inspiration anyway.

Attachments

• phantom cable.jpg
    phantom cable.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 25
Thx, you have verified DC is okay? It does say ac on the Mfc next to the normal power in plug
Yes... It was confirmed in another thread... Just note that the "standard" sizes for the barrel jack is different for AC vs DC. But as long as you use the right size it shouldn't matter.

Yep, the mfc user manual says 1000. I can’t find my original so need to dig one up
Be aware that even 1000ma might not be enough.

I have a 20' BTPA cable - they won't make longer due to having many issues with phantom power - and it will not work with the original power supply for me. I had a 1300ma adapter from some other gear and that works perfectly.

AC power will loose voltage over distance. DC I think is less likely to have as large a drop over distance. I ran into this with the fcb 1010 building long phantom midi cables. 20' just never seemed to be long enough.

I'm using the "rocktron-midi-cable-5-to-7-pin". Found it, while I was looking for the parts to make such a cable by myself.

Axe III <-> Rocktron Midi Raider

If the Barrel-Jack doesn't fit, I would think about soldering the wires.

Back
Top Bottom