Making an amp model bloom

EdgE

Fractal Fanatic
Just wondering if some one can give some idea's of making an amp bloom, I like the tone I'm getting ,using a fender bassman with Richard Fortus IR's. just a bit of reverb and delay, what your hearing in the video is though a qsc k2 10" recorded with an iPhone 8.Sounds pretty much like I'm hear in the room. I haven't had much luck with compressors. don't really know how to set them.

I don't want any more gain or volume, just want the notes to bloom , just a bit easier to play .If you know what I mean ,Thanks

There's unfortunately no substitute for volume in my opinion. Whenever I feel I'm not 100% happy with the tone I'm getting, I'm turning the volume up a bit and go "well, there it is". Regardless if you play with studio monitors, a full range speaker or a guitar cab, there's something that happens between the guitar and the speaker and that's somewhere there where the magic happens. If I'm playing at low volume, everything just sounds dull and squished. I also think that's why it's easy to add gain at lower volume to compensate and then at full band volume it's almost always better to turn the gain down, and I can because more volume helps carry the tone.

Plus, it's the best excuse ever :p

try this:
1. Cab block room level 100%, room size minimum, mic spacing 100%.
2. While playing (turn UP), walk room size up one tick at a time (0.01) and listen to the phase shift. Somewhere before 0.20 there will be a sweet spot, the first around .07 and the second around .17. (Palm mute the D+G strings, loud)
3. Walk mic spacing back down to where it feels right to your ears for that IR mix. Once that's tuned in, put room level back at 50+ish%.
4. After that's tuned, if you're using one IR you can use cab mic distance to find tune the zero crossing.

With two + IRs, adjusting one mic distance will jack the phase of the mix, this whole phase tuning thing works best with one mono really good IR.

to me, bloom is volume and how our ears perceive a very, very loud guitar amp. it's like compression happening in our ear drums due to the sheer loudness.

that's my interpretation anyway. it needs volume. i've experienced this only when very loud.

Whenever I feel I'm not 100% happy with the tone I'm getting, I'm turning the volume up a bit and go "well, there it is". Regardless if you play with studio monitors, a full range speaker or a guitar cab,
I find that it is even true when playing with in-ears. Volume just adds excitement. Recently, I was playing a concert, and for once I was not totally happy with my sound. Then I realized that my in-ear volume was very low. I reached back to the belt-pack and turned up the volume. That was it.

I haven't had much luck with compressors. don't really know how to set them.

I find the best way to use compression when you want your amp to 'feel' easier to play, is to use the Output Compression on the Amp Block. Put that to about half and have a feel whilst you play, you might reduce it a little but it does give you a nice bit of forgiveness from the amp whilst playing.

He says that he doesn´t want more volume so maybe advising to turn up the volume isn´t the right answer..

I belive it could be several diffrent things. One thing can be to turn up the master volume on the amp model. Just as on real amps it give a natural compression. Or try putting a drive block before the amp to push it a bit more.

But also It could be the guitar. Put on new strings, make sure the string height isn´t too low, make sure the pickup height is properly adjusted.

It’s pretty loud now and am using a Seymour JB, am looking for that little easier to play.i have to play with it a bit more ,kind of got the Paisley tone going on ,which is not really my style, but i’m Liking it. The tone makes want to play country :)

Ok I just went into the amp speaker drive and played with the speaker drive and put to 2.92 and brought down the comp and more sustain with the same tone :)
Thanks for all the suggestions ,Rock is my genres getting the clean break up with sustain is a little harder for me.Going to attempt some more chicken pickin ,before work :)

Last edited:
just tried this and works very nicelyupload_2018-12-14_8-42-43.png a treble boost is one of the first boxes I used, have to be old remember, pluged into guitar jack, had one when I was 15 year old 44 years ago:eek: nice clean boost

Back
Top Bottom