Making a cab IR with a speaker sim i.e., UA ox?

hblu2002

Since my axefx 3 arrived I’ve captured a few great IR’S using a real cab and some speakers. Still for variety I was wondering if anyone has tried to capture an IR using a speaker sim like the uad ox and if the results were useful/accurate. In this case I would use a single mic model, no room mic and send signal from my poweramp to the ox and a di signal from the amp the ax for the mic+di method. The reason I thought it might not work is that the ox it isn’t a real cab obviously, it’s a digital device also with some extra latency and the speaker impedance of the unit employs that u-shaped curve as opposed to a true speaker impedance.

Yes, it will work. The impedance curve won't affect the result if you use a solid-state power amp. You can compensate for the added latency using the Delay Comp.

Since my axefx 3 arrived I’ve captured a few great IR’S using a real cab and some speakers. Still for variety I was wondering if anyone has tried to capture an IR using a speaker sim like the uad ox and if the results were useful/accurate. In this case I would use a single mic model, no room mic and send signal from my poweramp to the ox and a di signal from the amp the ax for the mic+di method. The reason I thought it might not work is that the ox it isn’t a real cab obviously, it’s a digital device also with some extra latency and the speaker impedance of the unit employs that u-shaped curve as opposed to a true speaker impedance.
There are some speaker sim IRs floating around out there, some pretty good ones have been posted on the forum - Palmer, Red Box etc.

Btw if I used a solid state power amp like the orange pedal baby and don‘t use the mic/di method would I be losing anything?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom