Maintaining stereo separation?

Deadpool_25

Fractal Fanatic
My FM9 signal chain runs through parallel amp blocks with each amp hard panned. The amp blocks are set to mute on bypass. The amp blocks converge into a single reverb block and then go to output 1. Output 1 feeds two real amps’ FX loops/cabs.

When I mute an amp I still get the reverb through both cabs. Is there a way to keep the left/right input/output isolated through a single reverb block? So if I send it only a left input, it only outputs on the left side?

I know I can use two reverb blocks—just curious if you can do this with one.

Probably a dumb question, but do you use 2 IR slots in the cab block with the slots panned hard left and right accordingly?

You could also use a scene controller or change the channel on a single reverb block so its output is balanced Left, Right, or Center as needed, or use output block channels -- this in addition to muting one of your amp blocks.

@bdrepko that's generally how it works but the pans don't necessarily need to be hard.

Probably a dumb question, but do you use 2 IR slots in the cab block with the slots panned hard left and right accordingly?
No cab block. I’m using real cabs.

As a general rule, effects which produce stereo, like a reverb, sum the 2 inputs before processing them. If you want two independent paths to feed two cabs without any summing, you'll need to use 2 reverb blocks.

Ok. I thought that might be the solution. Thankfully the FM9 will have no problem doing this without crushing the CPU. :)

You could also use a scene controller or change the channel on a single reverb block so its output is balanced Left, Right, or Center as needed, or use output block channels -- this in addition to muting one of your amp blocks.

Also an interesting solution. Hm. It’s really only an issue (and a minor one) when dialing in a tone so this seems like a pretty good idea. Adding a second reverb seems good too. I’ll play around with the two ideas. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom