Maiden vs. Metallica

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I give the nod to Metallica. Part of it is when I grew up ... I entered grade 10 in 1986. Listening to start of Master of Puppets made me a metal lover for life.

For me, Maiden is a bit like the AC/DC of metal ... they stuck to the same formula. My eyes glaze over after a while. It's too bad that Metallica fell off the rails after the Black album (Death Magnetic is actually pretty good, except for horrible mixing), but they've always tried new things. Their 5 first albums trump Maiden's work. Maiden has better musicianship in most cases, except Cliff Burton and Steve Harris who are both bass legends; they're a tie. If musicianship was the only factor, I'd be into classical music or Yngwie, lol.

Metallica for the win.

Maiden repeated themselves quite a lot. But the first album, "Killers", "Number of the beast", "Piece of mind" and "Seventh son" are awesome. Maiden it is for me, although I do like "ride the lightning", "Master of puppets" and "And justice for all".

Have to agree here..... Love both but probably Maiden overall. Have to be early Metallica if anything ;)

Metallica died after Justice...Kirk regressed into a blues playing wah wah using nothing, they are spoiled babies, and the least prolific band of maybe all time...

I have to admit, I pretty much learned to play guitar out of my Justice and Puppets tab books. Anything I do with chugging palm muted power chords, I learned from Hetfield. I have many other influences that come out in my playing (Iommi, Malmsteen, Gilmour, Queensrÿche etc, and yes, Maiden not least amoung them) but there is always, always a little bit of Hetfield there.

Iron Maiden's been overall more consistent in putting out good material than Metallica. Aside from the Blayze Bailey stuff, that is.

Although I like both bands very much, I vote for Iron Maiden.
I grew up listening to all their albums, they were the main reason why I started playing the guitar and I can honestly say that (for me) it's the only metal band that for the first 8 albums they released (+ numerous singles & b sides) I only disliked one song (invaders from the number of the beast). Every other song, being in an LP or a single/b-side of that period is just an instant classic and every melody line (including guitar solos) would stick in your mind forever after just one listening!
I started listening to Maiden back when I was 10-11 years old, I still love them, although I actually stopped buying their music after the brave new world album.
To my ears, after 7th son, they sounded like they had lost something from the old days... Songs were still ok, but just that... ok...
Now, whenever I want to listen to my favorite metal (actually NWOBHM) band, I would always play something from their gold period (Iron maiden to 7th son a 7th son and maybe a couple of songs from no prayer for the dying and fear of the dark).

Iron Maiden, to me, has always epitomized Spinal Tap. Clunky Eddie on stage, cheeseball theatrics, etc....and mostly a one-trick pony with their song structure. Watching their videos in High School (early 80's) kind of cemented my distaste. I've got to go with Metallica.

My opinion: I couldn't care less about image, genre, or videos. Iron Maiden were phenomenal musicians, and sometimes still make pretty good music to this day. Metallica was a one-trick grunt and fast power chord pony that couldn't even manage to keep doing what made them famous.

Maiden is a band. Metallica was a gimmick.

Considering that Metallica has mentioned many times that Iron Maiden was a huge influence...hard to not pick Maiden.

Both bands have been incredibly influential. Metal music as a whole would be entirely different without these two bands.

Still, Maiden have consistently put out good material all along (though I do prefer their 80s stuff). Bruce can still hit the notes he did 30 years ago. I absolutely cannot stand James' singing anymore and as far as the music goes, I haven't liked anything they've done since the Black album.

Back
Top Bottom