Maiden vs. Metallica

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In my day Grand Funk Railroad and Black Sabbath were considered the metal innovators/creators...

Damn! I'm old! :cry

The first record i purchased was Live after Death. The second was Master of Puppets. Please do not make a twelve year old kid choose between two bands he enjoyed so much :D

Maiden for me. I got out of metal around the time the Metallica came out. I still play the trooper at least once a week as its a fun song to play.

Don't like either to be honest. Need a N/A option. *donning flame suit*

... and just in time!:lol

flame-thrower-o.gif

:lol

Both answers are wrong. It has to be Judas Priest. Glenn Tipton is a highly underrated guitarist, at least in the UK.

As a little kid at primary school I was already getting into music but other than my mum's 60s folk music all I had to explore was the Top 40 and would listen religiously to all the dance pop and other drivel on the radio countdown every week. One week some band went straight in to number for with Can I play With Madness? and it blew me away. I quickly learned this heavy music wasn't in the charts for the most part and set about hunting it down. So if it hadn't been for Maiden I'd never have developed an obsession for finding great music in whatever genre.

Metallica. Never liked them.

IM get too much credit - they lifted a lot of stuff from Priest.

Lifted is a pretty strong description. Iron Maiden and Killers sound nothing like Priest. And even when Dickinson joins, the bands still sound very different. It's not as if Priest were the first band to have dual guitar harmonies or have that style of vocalist, and both bands sound very different in both regards. Priest's catalog contains as much material that could be considered hard rock, both musically and lyrically, as it does metal, Maiden was consistently metal. Are there some similarities? Sure, but the only thing that Maiden flat out 'lifted' was the leather. I think the most amazing feat is that both bands put together incredible runs of consecutive classic albums within the genre. 7 classics in a row is something rarely achieved by any band in any genre.

I'd say both bands get underrated as musicians, and often lumped into the same category, and mocked for the same incorrect reasons. Lots of great songs from both bands, and excellent guitar playing all over the place. I also think there are a ton of players who would be stunned if they heard Tipton's work on early Priest and Murray's playing on Maiden's self titled debut, some really tasty stuff.

Last edited:
Agree with several of you guys. Maiden are definitely grandfathers to Metalica. Both bands have a lot in common for me. Now that I think of it you could throw Priest in there as well.

Love all 3 band's early stuff.
Never cared for the lead playing of any of them (generally speaking). (Ducks)
Loved riffs and the writing.
Loved the vocals of all 3 but would def say Halford and Dickison are kings of metal vocals.

Metallica by a mile for me. I couldn't handle the dramatics and theatre of Bruce's singing for too long. That said, they were both up there as faves when I was in my 'yoot', but Metallica rocked it for me. Harder hitting. Meaner. Shit went sideways with their Black album, but Ride the Lightning?!?!? OMFG, still makes my head spin to this day...

22 Acacia Avenue was a killer song by Maiden. Run to the Hills, interestingly enough, is the song that turned me off of them - same album - polar responses to the songs.

Love both bands, but Maiden is my choice of the two. Not even a contest. And I'll die with my boots on believing so. :)

Iron Maiden was one of many British heavy metal bands on the scene in the 80's. At the time I didn't pay them any attention.

Metallica seared themselves indelibly into my musical life, burning blinding hot and bright for 3, maybe 4 albums and then turned into a mid-tempo rock band and lost their way.

Maiden stayed Maiden and I finally figure out they were good in 2005. Dance of Death was a really good album! I listen to Maiden far more than Metallica these days, but my playing style is more Hetfield than Murray/Smith.

Toss-up with slight edge to Maiden.

Up the Irons!!

BTW: do you know that Dickinson is not only a pilot and owner of a comercial aviation company, but he also gives great speeches to entrepreneurs?

I have a funny story about Maiden. The drummer in one of my cover bands ( see him in action with my humble self here : Comfortably numb - Covered by Perfect Strangers - YouTube ; he also sing the verses on that song ), which is flight training captain at the local aviation company Air Mauritius, once met the full Maiden team at the bar in an hotel in England. At first he recognized one of them, asked him "hey I thought I've seen you somewhere", and the guy answered [insert big voice] "yeah, I'm Nikko McBrain". He spent the whole evening chatting with all the band including Bruce, and told me afterwards : "It was nice to meet all of them but also really frustrating : as Bruce is an air pilot like me, all they wanted to talk about was planes, and I wanted to talk about music. I felt almost at the office " :) Apparently when Bruce is flying Ed Force One, he sometimes allows the others band members to have fun with the commands for a couple of minutes :p

Last edited:
I have a funny story about Maiden. The drummer in one of my cover bands ( see him in action with my humble self here : Comfortably numb - Covered by Perfect Strangers - YouTube ; he also sing the verses on that song ), which is flight training captain at the local aviation company Air Mauritius, once met the full Maiden team at the bar in an hotel in England. At first he recognized one of them, asked him "hey I thought I've seen you somewhere", and the guy answered [insert big voice] "yeah, I'm Nikko McBrain". He spent the whole evening chatting with all the band including Bruce, and told me afterwards : "It was nice to meet all of them but also really frustrating : as Bruce is an air pilot like me, all they wanted to talk about was planes, and I wanted to talk about music. I felt almost at the office " :) Apparently when Bruce is flying Ed Force One, he sometimes allows the others band members to have fun with the commands for a couple of minutes :p

Classic anecdote!

Ed Force One, LOL. You simply gotta love people who don't take them selves too seriously... :D

I give the nod to Metallica. Part of it is when I grew up ... I entered grade 10 in 1986. Listening to start of Master of Puppets made me a metal lover for life.

For me, Maiden is a bit like the AC/DC of metal ... they stuck to the same formula. My eyes glaze over after a while. It's too bad that Metallica fell off the rails after the Black album (Death Magnetic is actually pretty good, except for horrible mixing), but they've always tried new things. Their 5 first albums trump Maiden's work. Maiden has better musicianship in most cases, except Cliff Burton and Steve Harris who are both bass legends.

Metallica for the win.

Back
Top Bottom