Maiden vs. Metallica

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not that track perhaps, but overall - based on upbringing and what influenced me the most aged 13 or so - Maiden for me all the way
thumbsup.gif

Metallica from the early days only, I could never get to like Maiden for some reason, so that's Metallica for me

Maiden repeated themselves quite a lot. But the first album, "Killers", "Number of the beast", "Piece of mind" and "Seventh son" are awesome. Maiden it is for me, although I do like "ride the lightning", "Master of puppets" and "And justice for all".

Number of the Beast through Seventh Son is my favorite period, but I like most everything they've done including the first two. Maiden has so many strengths: great songwriters, one of the best lead vocalists in any hard rock/metal band, musicians, subject matter for their songs, etc. Metallica are a good thrash metal band, but I don't understand the universal adulation (I'm not knocking them, I have a few of their albums and I think they're good, but not as good as their album sales would indicate).

I find myself agreeing with Cobbler on this one. When Iron Maiden first appeared on the scene I thought they represented a sad, embarrassing evolution of the music I loved at the time (Sabbath, Zeppelin, Floyd, Bad Co, Neil Young etc). Same goes for the awful 80's bands like Def Leppard who churned out empty, inane, moronic dirge. Metallica simply jumped on the bandwagon with their empty mid-scooped sound. Thank God Nirvana came along when they did and put a lid on it.

Metallica, they were the reason I wanted to start playing music in the first place. I absolutely love Iron Maiden though.

Iron Maiden is the band that introduced me to Metal. I still remember putting on the Iron Maiden-Iron Maidien record for the first time - Strange World indeed!

Then again... I remember ditching school just for the release of the Master of Puppets album and listen to it.

There is just something about British Metal though that has a special place for me. Black Sabbath, Rainbow, Priest, Maiden, et al.

Back
Top Bottom